PDA

View Full Version : The Lockdown

Wiegieboard
15-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Today I started trying to teach myself how to use the lockdown.
I'm not overly sure if I'm doing it right. If I take a half guard trapping their right leg, do I bend my left leg across and lock the foot under my right knee?
Then do I hook my right foot under their leg so that the sole of my foot is pointing to the outside?
It worked for me this way at first and I was able to set up the oldschool sweep keeping the lockdown quite a few times(or rather what I think is the lockdown). But after a while the dude got a bit wise and started managing to pull his leg through to a 1/4 guard where I only had the lower half of his leg trapped.
Am I doing the lockdown correctly?
And if I am, What points should I remember for keeping the guys leg tied up and stop him from freeing it?
Thanks again,
Neill Wylie

Wiegieboard
17-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Think I have it now. Pulled off two twisters yesterday.

Neil_Allen
22-09-2005, 01:05 PM
I've not seen Eddie Bravo's teachings on the lockdown but something I was taught at BJJ years ago must be very similar to it. Bring your left leg over their right, left foot behind your right calf, your right foot goes under their right shin. A figure four type position.

Then you slide this down toward their foot to lock it tight.

From there just see what they give you, make sure to pressure their hips if they begin coming forward, also disrupt their balance if they sit up high. If they hop up to a knee and sit their weight back it's possibly to do an ankle lock by pulling your right foot.

Otherwise it's a pretty good safe position to set things up from.

When setting stuff up it depends on how they position themselves and attempt to counter, it's probably best, again, to wait for their reaction before going for something. I usually look to get my left arm underhook in, then work a sweep either direction.

Neil_Allen
22-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Oh, and you can easily reach for their left foot with your left arm, then situp sweep.

Wiegieboard
22-09-2005, 02:00 PM
My x-guard is non existant. What's the electric chair?

Neil_Allen
22-09-2005, 03:51 PM
i usually grab it with my right hand first, then when i have it secured switch the grip to my left hand coz i come up on to my right elbow first before going to my knees to get the reversal

This is what I would have said, could I have been bothered.

I found this technique on a Gordo instructional but believe it is the same as the Oldskool. If they do stop you from reaching their leg, you have a few more options. I'm no good at actually doing this stuff, only knowing the techniques though.

Leigh, with the Electric Chair, do you keep the lockdown?

Neil_Allen
22-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Cool, my only options after that would normally involve switching my left leg to hook inside or just regaining guard. I've ordered Eddie's book (only 8 on play.com) so hopefully it's covered in there.

Neil_Allen
22-09-2005, 07:53 PM
http://www.thetwister.tv/Technique02.htm

Wiegieboard
23-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Yea when they stop me getting the leg by stretching it out I usually reclaim full guard. I find I can set up sweeps easier because I have already broken down their posture a lot more and have control of their head but I'll be buying that book as I really love the half guard.
P.S. The electric chair looks a lot like a reverse bananna split! I'll be working that when I get well!