PDA

View Full Version : training ?

andymc
23-02-2003, 07:20 PM
How do u guys balance high intensity weights with martial arts?
I find it hard to balance the 2, especially goin to thai boxing after blasting the arms, chest or shoulders a day or 2 before.
Do u train at lower intensity (not forced reps or to failure etc)
Do u cycle your training?

Hywel Teague
23-02-2003, 09:13 PM
you have to choose carefully as to what you work if you know you've got a training session coming up-

for example, my training partner at my boxing club is an ex-body builder but still hits the weights three/four times a week. if he is stupid enough to train shoulders the day before then he'll be shit and hitting without any resemblance of timing, speed fluidity etc.

i personally try to avoid blasting a certain body part if i know its going to have to be used the following day- but of course you have to balance it cause you may not know exactly what it is that you'll be focusing on in your class.

if you're lucky enough to know to avoid training arms before pucnhing, or legs before kicking, great.
if not maybe stick to working what you need to but drop the intensity down so as not to get those lingering aches and strains for when you need to feel sharp.

the other thing of course is goal setting- ultimately, what are you training for? are you training to be a weight lifter/body builder or do you want to be a "combat athlete"?

if the answer is the latter then the strength training should act as a supplement to your regular training, and forced reps and training to failiure (although i have read many times "training to failiure is failing to train") should be left out.

if you use the martial side as recreational/extra conditioning then conitinue with your present programme but ask yourself if you will still get the full benefits from your Thai sessions if your body is still fatigued from the weights.