PDA

View Full Version : Can you truely condition your shins?

Neil_Allen
11-07-2005, 12:22 AM
I always thought that people who train a lot of Muay Thai only fight pro when their shins are well conditioned, thinking well conditioned at that stage would mean practically invunerable to pain.

My MT instructor said whenever he has fought he didn't notice any pain during the fight, and once the adrenalin is flowing you don't really anyway. However, despite not noticing at the time he always was in great pain the morning after.

Do you ever get to the point where your shins are fully conditioned or rather, you can fight conditioned or not and the adrenalin will disguise the pain until the next morning?

The main thing putting me off from fighting would be my shins, as I don't consider them conditioned. I can kick the heaviest bag in the gym over and over full power without any pain or soreness, something I couldn't have done when starting out, but still don't think I could handle a shin on shin contact.

thaison
11-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Mine have never hurt when fighting, often do the day after however as do almost every other thai boxers i know.

Neil_Allen
12-07-2005, 02:43 PM
The Jet was a Kickboxer though, not Muay Thai, or so I thought. I was told never to bang my shins with things, it's not a very good idea. I guess I'll keep hammering the bag and maybe try some light sparring without pads at some point.

Thanks Aaron.

Wiegieboard
02-10-2005, 08:31 PM
My mate markis shin blocked this tae kwon do kid in the pool that he works at and the kid started crying.

Neil_Allen
05-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Thanks Smiler, appreciate the help.

My shins have slowly become more conditioned, as is apparent when I spar with less experienced boxers and feel nothing but can see the pain caused to them. I always attack the thigh when kicking low, I like to chop down at angle that way if their block is a bit weak you can sometimes bash through to the far leg.

Never kicked the calf before, is this a common tactic or are the opportunities to do so quite rare?