PDA

View Full Version : Thai Boxing Show, Barry Island, Wales 12/08/07

lee kru
05-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Hi just to let those who are interested know, i am co-promoting a Thai Boxing show at KR'S nightclub Barry Island, South Wales on August 12th. Top of the bill is a K1 heavyweight eliminator between John Love (current UK K1 champion) and Will Riva from Cardiff.

There are 4 Welsh title fights on with fighters from Cardiff, Barry, Cwmbran and North Wales fighting for titles.
Other fighters are coming from Swansea, Southampton, Plymouth and Birmingham and there should be 15 fights.

Joey Brincat from Cardiff will be fighting for a featherweight title and should be a real stormer after 2 months solid training at PATTAYA KOMBAT gym in Thailand.

This is our 1st promtion in over 10 years but a mixed event is planned for next year at a bigger venue with Russian Fighters, Thai Fighters, MMA, Full Contact and full Thai Rules fights. I have approached some of the local lads in relation to the MMA and had a good response, also no problesm with the Thais or Russians, this bigger show is still in the planning stage but if all goes to plan than it will be a huge event.

Contact me via PM, Email or via my website www.thaiboxingwales.com if you have any queries.
Tickets for the Barry Island Show are available through any of the Eagles Gyms and also Cardiff Kickboxing Club.

Lee

MMAlien
05-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Ill be there!

lee kru
05-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Nice one Ricky, oh and by the way you really did good in your 1st Interclub fight mate, when you reach your target it will only get better and better.:D

MMAlien
05-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks Lee!:D

RichH1
05-08-2007, 07:57 PM
looking forward to fighting next weekend hopefully it will be a good show :)

MMAlien
05-08-2007, 08:03 PM
looking forward to fighting next weekend hopefully it will be a good show :)

your fighting? sweet, will symon be there too?

RichH1
05-08-2007, 08:05 PM
hopefully, got to sort it out this week, you should come introduce yourself ricky, we havnt met in person yet!

MMAlien
05-08-2007, 08:23 PM
I think we have, exept i didnt know it was you until a week later!

RichH1
06-08-2007, 08:54 AM
haha well, come make sure this time!

RichH1
09-08-2007, 03:02 PM
lee do you have the full address of the show please?

Femme-ma
09-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Heya,

KR's address is:

KR's
Friars Road
Barry
CF62 5TR
01446 721888

Gutted I can't make this one!

RichH1
09-08-2007, 04:09 PM
thanks femme

MMAlien
12-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Hey lee, how did the show go? sorry i couldnt make it last night, im up to my neck in shit with work, might get the sack.:mad: but if i do i plan on moving too thailand for a year to work or something, ill need to speak to you about that, see if you can hook me up. can you post the results please.

RichH1
13-08-2007, 08:22 AM
dont know many of the results but i won mine

RichH1
13-08-2007, 08:30 AM
what i will say was some gyms dont have a clue about weight, i wont name, lee can if he wishes, one of our guys came all the way to wales to fight trained for ages, all the stress that comes with it, only for his opponent to weigh in at 98.6kg for a fight set at 91kg, what a joke the guy obviously hadnt even tried to cut weight.

as for the show, once it got going it was good, some good fights ran quite smoothly, the raffle was crap and went on far too long, no changing area for the away fighters apart from a warm up area in front of the crowd, and there wasnt really enough room in there to safely put the ring in.
not having a go all just constructive criticism, i think a lot of it would be solved with just a different venue!

but thanks to lee for having me on the show, your a real nice guy and you really tried to look after us!

Agent Trent Steele
13-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Said trained as hard as anyone for the fight yesterday. Iíll acknowledge that he did come in heavier than we were expecting, but was willing to cut 5kg ON THE DAY and also allow his opponent to wear 8oz gloves while he wore 10oz. There was no communication to Cardiff Muay Thai about the fight being at 91kg!!!! Besides which, itís heavyweight. Said has fought MMA and Kyokushin Karate against guys that considerably out weigh him - by up to as much as 20kg. Your man even accepted twice, once when we suggest cutting weight and once when we suggested lighter gloves, but he backed out on both occasions.

I sincerely hope that this incident didnít have an affect on the absolute farce that took place later during the girls fight. It was the worst display of officiating that I have ever seen in a ring. The decision was, at best, incorrect and contradictory. It has put a particularly sour taste in the mouth of myself, our fighters and the 20-odd CMT supporters that paid £25 to champion their club.

RichH1
13-08-2007, 12:11 PM
well i'm just saying our side of it, besides which the weight shouldnt be an issue, if its set at 91 thats what he should come in at, you guys not knowing that is nothing to do with us, with regards to heavyweight, 95+ is super heavyweight in thai boxing, so your guy would still be in the wrong category.

out of interest what were you told was the weight for the fight as obviously theres been some miscommunication

Femme-ma
13-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I sincerely hope that this incident didnít have an affect on the absolute farce that took place later during the girls fight. It was the worst display of officiating that I have ever seen in a ring. The decision was, at best, incorrect and contradictory. It has put a particularly sour taste in the mouth of myself, our fighters and the 20-odd CMT supporters that paid £25 to champion their club.

Who were fighting on the female fight? And what happened?

lee kru
14-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Re our show.

I will have to say that the fight mentioned was made at 92kg and Dave knows that because Said was going to be matched against one of my guys originally but Mark trapped a nerve in his neck at least 6 weeks before night and then the match with Said and Janis was made.

The ladies fight was made at 52 kg and although Caroline Thomas came in under weight at 50.4kg the opponent came in at 56KG!!! the excuse was 'its her period'
One guy from the same club didnt even show up. I sent a text on the friday to check all was OK, the answer - yes.

I dont want to knock anyone but all i can say that every time a match has been made with any promotion all my guys have always come in on or under the agreeed weight limit and that has been the same with all the other promoters i have dealt with this year and last be it Master Sken and the Manchester circuit, to Dean Kendall at Southampton i have never experienced weight problems like this before. 1-2 kg you can live with anything more is not on and unprofessional.

For example on Saturday Joey Brincat phones me and says he weighs 3kg over on his home scales,i make him come to my house and i weigh him straight away so i know theres no problem, same with Sean Facey weighed 1.5 kg over the limit on the Saturday and he was sent to Sauna and advised to dry out a little for his weigh in, result was both guys weighed the same, all the other guys/gyms who attended were bang on the correct weights.

As Rich has mentioned the Venue was SHIT, there were problems with the venue that only materialised on the day, the referee being caught in traffic from Newcastle (lorry fire on M4) and turning up for the 2nd half only caused problems. The ring guys had alledgedly erected a ring in the place before and said it was ok, on the day we had to take down lights and speakers etc and the ropes were too loose.
Raffles i hate them, the co promoter wanted it, i agreed. Lesson learnt.

I have spoken with all the gyms who came from all over the country to support and taken constructive critiscism together with some basic slagging and taken it all on the chin.

In relation to the incident with the ladies fight - as per all European and WMC Muay Thai Rules they state there will be a count of scores on the judges cards in the instance of an accidental clash of heads causing a cut. This cut resulted from a head clash - the result was Caroline won.
In reality it wouldnt have made any difference to the result anyway as Caroline was well ahead and not looking likely to being knocked out.

How anyone can criticise the referees decision obviously does not fully know Muay Thai Rules or Muay Thai. Bob Spour has been in this game for well over 30 years, he is not a home town Ref - he is Chief Instructor of Phraya Pichai International a founder member of the British Thai Boxing Council and has refereed World Title fights at Lumpinee and Rachamadern Stadiums in Bangkok. Phraya Pichai are traditionally a rival organisation to ours which is WMTO (anyone in Muay Thai circles will tell you that) The reason i asked Bob to ref was exactly for this reason- to negate any home decisons.
To question the referees decison on a forum like this is disrespectful even more so when the ref is someone as well respected and revered in Muay Thai as Bob is.
The judging was as fair as i have ever seen it on any show, even going against my own fighters in some very close fights.

In relation to the sour taste in the mouth, i can understand why as i have been there before many times, if the Poster didn't agree with the decision then we can get the match on again, Peter and i have no problem with it, Caroline completely outclassed the opponent with Pure Muay Thai technique - clinching and knees, and all this giving away 6kg in weight. Anyone who knows Muay Thai and saw the fight will say that. I dont want to take anything away from the opponent as she fought her heart out but Muay Thai is Muay Thai and knees are one of the main weapons and skills and score very highly.
I didnt want to discuss any of this on an open Forum but as it was all brought up by people from outside my association i feel the need to comment.
There were a lot of initial problems but the 2nd half saw some very very good displays of Muay Thai with fighters from some of the most feared and respected uk clubs in attendance.

Already planning another show ...........different town...........different place...............MMA/FULL CONTACT KARATE/ MUAY THAI/ WHITE COLLAR BOXING..........................................wa tch this space.
Chok Dee, Sawasdee Khrap,

Femme-ma
15-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Re our show.

I will have to say that the fight mentioned was made at 92kg and Dave knows that because Said was going to be matched against one of my guys originally but Mark trapped a nerve in his neck at least 6 weeks before night and then the match with Said and Janis was made.

The ladies fight was made at 52 kg and although Caroline Thomas came in under weight at 50.4kg the opponent came in at 56KG!!! the excuse was 'its her period'
One guy from the same club didnt even show up. I sent a text on the friday to check all was OK, the answer - yes.

So two people from the same club turned up at least 4kg overweight for a same day weigh in?

Also - "it's her period" is no excuse. I'm over 5 months pregnant and only 3kg over my fight weight (which I made despite being due for a period and not knowing I was pregnant). 4kg of water retention at a 52kg because "it's your period" isn't realistic.

I'm impressed Caroline agreed to the fight, I'm really glad she won on what sounds like a very valid decision.

As Rich has mentioned the Venue was SHIT, there were problems with the venue that only materialised on the day, the referee being caught in traffic from Newcastle (lorry fire on M4) and turning up for the 2nd half only caused problems. The ring guys had alledgedly erected a ring in the place before and said it was ok, on the day we had to take down lights and speakers etc and the ropes were too loose.
Raffles i hate them, the co promoter wanted it, i agreed. Lesson learnt.

I have spoken with all the gyms who came from all over the country to support and taken constructive critiscism together with some basic slagging and taken it all on the chin.

Already planning another show ...........different town...........different place...............MMA/FULL CONTACT KARATE/ MUAY THAI/ WHITE COLLAR BOXING..........................................wa tch this space.

Sorry that you had so many problems with the set up for your first show. Good luck with the next one!!! Hope I can make it next time!

Rach.