PDA

View Full Version : Would you say these are the differences between Horrors and Thrillers?

rms6859
12-07-2005, 02:01 PM
I know there is a difference between a Horror movie, and Thriller movies?. And there are certain criteria,s that warrent a movie to be a horror or a thriller.

With Horrors, they rely on alot of sickening gore (i.e. hellraiser, aliens and the thing ect), blood n guts and directing type techniques that either make the audiance jump (the same kind of sensation when somebody creeps up behind you and roars BOOOOO!!!!), or gives them a scarey/edgy tension feeling (i.e. like when you see a weak and meek teenage girl go through woodlands at night, but so is a deadly monster aswell, and you know their gonna meet sooner or later).

With Thrillers, they tend not to rely on gore and make you jump type directing. They just rely on storylines that give you chills (which is a better noun for a movie genre?, thriller or chiller? lol). A good example of a thriller is Silence of the Lambs.

Its like you didnt rearly get much gore in it did you. Buffolo bill never killed or cut up that woman, Hannabal Lectre spent most of the movie behind bars. Even when he got out, you didnt see him do anything gory. You never actually saw him cut off that officers face to use as a mask. And in the scene where he beat them to death in the prison cell, they camera angled it, so you didnt see brutal blows.

In the scene in the ambulance (posing as the officer believed to be in criticle condition), if the movie was a horror, you would of seen him suddenly get up and attack the paramedics, but he just got up normally, and all you saw was just him standing behind the guy for a while. If it were a horror, you would of seen him actually murder the paramedics.

Neil_Allen
12-07-2005, 02:44 PM
A thriller doesn't have to contain any horror.

Rob, is your quote from Frank Shamrock?

rms6859
12-07-2005, 03:56 PM
No it isent Neil, but cool if he said it too.

I better change it come to think of it.

Yeah your right about thrillers, a thriller can be made and can be good, with no scarey visuals at all. Just the storyline and what the characters say, can sometimes make good thrillers.

Smith
15-07-2005, 11:50 PM
sometimes the apprehension or suggestion of violent acts can be more powerful or effective than seeing the actual act itself...

e.g.: the plughole scene in Psycho, the climax of the Mexican standoff in Reservoir Dogs, even the icepick murder in the Rocky Horror Picture Show...