PDA

View Full Version : UK MMA Referee

MMA2007
31-08-2007, 02:38 PM
I would like to become an MMA referee.

What steps should I take to make it happen? Thanks in advance

Tez
31-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Well if you're male you're three quarters of the way there. The other bit is just saying you fancy doing it and I'm sure someone will say, 'hey mate, there you go'

MMA2007
31-08-2007, 03:04 PM
I am an 18 year old male

Tez
31-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Perfect.

Btw I'm not getting at you, I've been trying to ref for over 18 months now and it ain't happening. Best people to ask on here are Marc Goddard and Kainer, you will get very good advice from them whereas I'm just bitter and twisted lol!

David Swann
31-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Me too. I want to ref some shows too, so if we are starting a thread, I am in.

Ps, mma2007, dont give Tez any more info, she will chase you down if you area hot blooded young man! she likes them young! :)

Tez
31-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Me too. I want to ref some shows too, so if we are starting a thread, I am in.

Ps, mma2007, dont give Tez any more info, she will chase you down if you area hot blooded young man! she likes them young! :)

Well you know what they say about older women lol!

Perhaps someone will start a 'school' for potential MMA referees! I can do a course and referee very easily in any traditional martial art, I would get a certificate and have no problem refereeing anywhere. I have seen some appalling refereeing in MMA fights and dear god I could not do any worse! I at least know the rules, I stay sober and I really want to do it!

Dave Hirst
31-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Staying sober and knowing the rules are important qualities for a referee.

iandean
01-09-2007, 12:38 AM
knowing the rules does tend to help...maybe a course or two could do the trick.

Maybe if we had a legit governing.......oh well nevermind

Tez
01-09-2007, 07:46 AM
knowing the rules does tend to help...maybe a course or two could do the trick.

Maybe if we had a legit governing.......oh well nevermind

Knowing the rules saves you having to ask the MC all the time lol! And staying 'sober' stops the ref wandering off!
Somehow, I don't think having a course or a governing body would help me though.

iandean
01-09-2007, 02:42 PM
courses are the future

From sherdog http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=8647

Recently Shooto held an event in the USA and they wanted to use their own referee. This is what happened.

Shooto officials won't be a piece of the puzzle either. Taro Wakabayashi, who has refereed hundreds of amateur and professional Shooto bouts over his 13-plus years as a Shooto official, was denied his license as a referee by the CSAC.

"Yeah, his résumé looked pretty good, but he'll need to take a refereeing course in September they said," Manly snickered.

see Tez you do need a course :p

dirty dick
01-09-2007, 07:31 PM
BWAHAHAHA @ women referees, crazy idea. What next? Women fighters to be taken seriously? Women footballers? Stay at home and wash the pots and scrub hard to get them chips off your shoulder

scotty
01-09-2007, 08:29 PM
I would like to become an MMA referee.

What steps should I take to make it happen? Thanks in advance

I'm not an experienced ref by any means but i have reffed a show and will be doing another at the end of the year so i can only try and help by telling you how i managed to get to reffing.First of all as said before please make sure that you know the rules not think you know but really research it.There are different rule sets to various promotion but this can be discussed by you and the promoter.Find a local promotion and see if you can help out at the show in whatever capacity you can.When i reffed i reffed the first couple of amateur fights on the card then on the back of them i was allowed to ref another 4 fights inc pro and semi.I spent alot of time with the main ref who is very experienced before the show , on the phone and on the morning of the show.I asked alot of questions and in return was given good solid advice and tips on little things that i previously hadn't thought of.It helps if you know your local mma community and that these guys know your serious and not just doing it for stupid reasons.If your only 18 i would spend a bit of time getting to know people in the mma scene , learning and absorbing as much information as possible and if you don't already train mma then it is essential that you do as you will never learn the ins and outs in mma that only training can give you...as this is getting a bit long winded feel free to pm me for anything you want to know....However Marc Goddard is the guy on this forum to speak to

Tez
02-09-2007, 12:05 AM
BWAHAHAHA @ women referees, crazy idea. What next? Women fighters to be taken seriously? Women footballers? Stay at home and wash the pots and scrub hard to get them chips off your shoulder

Dear god, we'll be asking for the vote next and then we'll expect to have a woman Prime Minister!

I'd argue more but am knackered, just back from Drop Zone ( working and judging) an electric night! I'll post on proper thread when I've recovered a bit.

Rosi
02-09-2007, 12:57 AM
I'd argue more but am knackered,

I wouldn't bother... little dicky is clearly just after some attention from the female members of the forum ;)

fightingfan
02-09-2007, 01:14 AM
At face value I have nothing against the idea of female MMA referees but I do find myself wondering what, for sake of argument, a female fighter who was more or less the same as a bantamweight and had refereed in the past....let's call her Susie Rexton would have done in the final moments of the Babalu - David Heath fight.

Apologies if this sounds condascending but I'm genuinely interested if a situation unfolded if a female ref was put in this position.

Tez
02-09-2007, 01:21 AM
I wouldn't bother... little dicky is clearly just after some attention from the female members of the forum ;)

With "little" being the operative word?

MMA2007
02-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I completed a national qualification on health and safety and achieved 100%, would that be of any benefit?

Thanks

orlis
03-10-2008, 02:07 AM
At face value I have nothing against the idea of female MMA referees but I do find myself wondering what, for sake of argument, a female fighter who was more or less the same as a bantamweight and had refereed in the past....let's call her Susie Rexton would have done in the final moments of the Babalu - David Heath fight.

Apologies if this sounds condascending but I'm genuinely interested if a situation unfolded if a female ref was put in this position.

Uhhhhhh, you're kidding, right? Yeah - pretty condescending dude. Geez - I feel so much better to hear that you didn't MEAN to sound condescending.

What would a female ref do? Well, probably she would have been smart enough to freakin' stop the fight a bit sooner - hello!!!

Anyway - for those serious about learning, go here: www.mmarefschool.org for more info on learning how to ref and obtaining your qualifications.

jessRageTheCage
30-06-2010, 11:21 AM
hi guys
I am new to this forum, i was trying to search a referee course myself which is why I stumbled across this thread.
i know i am a bit late in responding :-)
There is a governing body that exists which has been around for 2 years aparently.
They regulate and r trying to help fighters with minimum pay and offer qualified courses
if you think of any courses or recommend you should write to them
this is their website www.mmaagb.org.uk
its called the mma governing body
hope this helps

Sledge
30-06-2010, 12:18 PM
hi guys
I am new to this forum, i was trying to search a referee course myself which is why I stumbled across this thread.
i know i am a bit late in responding :-)
There is a governing body that exists which has been around for 2 years aparently.
They regulate and r trying to help fighters with minimum pay and offer qualified courses
if you think of any courses or recommend you should write to them
this is their website www.mmaagb.org.uk
its called the mma governing body
hope this helps

There is no Governing Body for MMA in the UK at present.

Having read that website it seems they would be more like a fighters union than anything else. But this is the first time I've heard about them and as their news page has 3 articles on from the last week I doubt they have been around for 2 years. They claim to have over 500 members already. Would anyone here like to divulge if they are a member.

A governing body is a great idea for the sport but it is years away from happening. Someone on here contacted Sport England about it a while ago and it was a very complicated process to get it set up.

There is actually a sub forum all about this. So please take time to read what work has already been done.

It sounds like a great idea in principle but there is no way to enforce their ideals on shows.

jayjay
30-06-2010, 12:29 PM
There is no Governing Body for MMA in the UK at present.

Having read that website it seems they would be more like a fighters union than anything else. But this is the first time I've heard about them and as their news page has 3 articles on from the last week I doubt they have been around for 2 years. They claim to have over 500 members already. Would anyone here like to divulge if they are a member.

A governing body is a great idea for the sport but it is years away from happening. Someone on here contacted Sport England about it a while ago and it was a very complicated process to get it set up.

There is actually a sub forum all about this. So please take time to read what work has already been done.

It sounds like a great idea in principle but there is no way to enforce their ideals on shows.

it needs something to happen , even karate has one

jessRageTheCage
30-06-2010, 04:00 PM
hey andy
true could you kindly send us a link to that sub forum i cant seem to find it
i think it would be an interesting read

jessRageTheCage
30-06-2010, 04:10 PM
it needs something to happen , even karate has one

yes i agree
i think we should join and support this association and make this happen
ensure fighters are looked after

Sledge
30-06-2010, 05:52 PM
hey andy
true could you kindly send us a link to that sub forum i cant seem to find it
i think it would be an interesting read

Go to the main forum page and it is the bottom sub forum under the MMA discussion header. Says "Governing Body". You can't miss it mate.

Sorry I can't post a link I'm on my BB.

Sledge
30-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Also just want to add that we all want a recognised governing body for MMA and I'm prepared to do anything required to help get this set up.

ferret
30-06-2010, 05:59 PM
ISKA have ran a couple of refs courses