PDA

View Full Version : holiday reads

widge milward
18-07-2005, 07:07 PM
FAG!

have you read my Eubank Book yet? or Michael Watson's?

ive also got "the dark trade" and "the last round" as well

Hywel Teague
18-07-2005, 09:45 PM
i got a book called Black Ajax by George Macdonald Fraser, is about Tom Molineuax, the black prize fighter who came to the UK and fought Tom Cribb, is a fucking awesome book

The English Patient is a great book, and I mean absolutely great, it washes over you like water, the language is poetic and you float through it without any real effort. I've never seen the film but the book is just beautiful.

if you like things like Bill Bryson check out A Primates Memoir by Robert Supolsky, its an autobiography cum travelogue by this scientist who spent years and years studying baboons in Kenya, its brilliant. he is a behavioural primatologist, which means he studies the relationships between the troop members, he gives them names and makes them into fully fledged chracters in the book, its fantastic, really really funny but quite informative as well

if you fancy a couple of really light hearted easy reads then check out I am Legend by Richard Matheson, or maybe The Man in the High Castle by Phillip K Dick. both books you'll hack thru in maybe two days tops

a great great book for a one dayer is A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. not as heavy as it sounds, its just aobut one day of life in a Russian Gulag in Siberia

Hywel Teague
19-07-2005, 09:16 PM
tut nice one SJG spoil thew whole fuckign book

mice and men is OK, if you want to read decent Steinbeck get his book the Grapes of Wrath, its awesome

hemmingway rocks. the old man and the sea is another good one of his

Hywel Teague
20-07-2005, 12:36 AM
yeah its a good book

as SJG might say though, they all die in the end. everyone. even hemmingway.