PDA

View Full Version : UK MMA Videos - commentators

Godders
28-02-2003, 07:49 PM
I watched cagewarriors last night again and found myself doing a running commentary for my dad who knows a little about it (ive subjected him :D)

But it got me thinking that it is quite important for commentators for when watching fights?

They help fill in the atmosphere thats lacking when watching a video (nothing beats being there). But you tend to feel their excitement which makes it better to watch.

Also it helps the guys new to the sport, so that the commentators can explain the rules and whats happening as they are on the ground.

(Even watching Maccavelli`s shoto (sp?) videos was made more enjoyable by the screaming jap commentators)

The problem is that allot of the people who do it are very biased? Look at the UK K1 thing that was on eurosport. You had some karate guy saying awoshigerri (feck knows how you spell it) for kicks and stuff. Which was annoying to say the least.

I was thinking for cagewarriors 3 if say someone like Dougie and Ian Freeman did the commentary as they not only have a indepth knowledge of the sport, but also know allot of the fighters personally and can quite happily fill in the little details like how they trained etc that the fight prof and bas rutten do for pride (best mma commentators in my opinion).

If you get the camera work at cw2 (very well done!), add in prefight interviews, ring entrances, poss mics near the cornermen, commentators not to mention the hot exciting action thats there - you have something that can take on king of the cage/ ufc etc

Course... easy to say that. Dare say its not that cheap?

cagewarriors
28-02-2003, 10:52 PM
No your dead right Godders its not that bloody cheap lol!!!!!!

But it is already being rectified ready for CWFC3, we put it into practice at Cage Rage 2 and it worked very well, as some of you may be aware? both Dave O,Donnell & myself are directors of a marketing company of which we will be producing & purchasing MMA footage to make compilation video,s of the highlights of different shows? We have a worldwide distribution contract with Virgin,HMV & Woolworths & our first production will be released on the last day of the Carlton Docu? So just a quicky to all combatants who compete in our events prepare yourselves to be international celebs? current statistics show a possible distrubution "realistic" in the region of 150,000 copies?

Just to bring you up to speed on new filming angles we will be adopting with our own in house production company? We will be using for the first time a permanent overhead 360 camera that will get close up overhead action shots, we will also when appropriate be using a boom/pole cam as used in the UFC for better close up stand up action shots. So you see guys much research & extra work is in hand 24/7? Its not just a show??

Regards Dougie

iandean
01-03-2003, 12:39 AM
I could do a good mike goldberg kinda commentary. Then all you would need then is a Jeff Blatnick (in Wrestling we call this move a ...) and someone who has forught in MMA then u would be sorted :)

Godders
01-03-2003, 02:08 AM
lmao

Im gonna be famous as they all find the site through the videos :D

Sounds really good mate. I cant wait. Things seem to be getting bigger, better all the time..

When its already fan bloody tastic...... Its a great time to be a MMA fan!

iandean
01-03-2003, 02:41 AM
man u know i cant wait till UK MMA makes it big time. I bore everyone i know about UK MMA.

:D

Chris Kerr
01-03-2003, 03:44 PM
I will do it...I would make a good colour commentator, but not a good play-by-play commentator.
(PS I am serious)

droc
07-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Commentary rocks,

I cringed when I watched the Cage Wars (yes I mean cage Wars this time) video and heard Steve Holdsworth blathering on about ascension, wrist locks and neck locks.

I would like to volunteer DROCs sexy Irish accent as commentator, I know the sport, I know most of the fighters and English women gush over my accent!

DROC

Chris Kerr
10-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Yeh I reckon me and Droc would be good at doing that...

SDonovan
10-03-2003, 02:56 PM
I reckon you should give the Droc/Kerr combo a go Dougie, They cant be any worse than the guy on the Cage warriors 1 DVD :p

Hywel Teague
10-03-2003, 03:19 PM
a paddy and a geordie doing commentary? lol

"so den whaddya tink o' dat last match-oop me lad?"
"why aye man, it was fookin ger-eat!"

nah i think you should have someone with a well spoken accent with maybe a hint of south wales in there... :p
they say that surveys have proved the south wales accent to be considered amongst the friendliest and most trusting accents in the UK!

Godders
10-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Id do it if my accent wasnt so sexy and you southern gimps could understand it :p

Hywel Teague
10-03-2003, 04:19 PM
glaswegian commentary:

yeerr arrgh aye fookin MENTAL bastid arrgh feckin ARM BAR!!! errghh tough cunt

can't have a scotsman doing commentary, jesus you're all drunk on whiskey!

Godders
10-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Vodka :p

droc
11-03-2003, 01:48 AM
TTT for the UKs new commentary team

Maccavelli
11-03-2003, 01:35 PM
I second the kerr/Droc commentary team

Hywel Teague
11-03-2003, 01:46 PM
hell no- we need commentators people can understand! :p

no seriously guys, if you have any idea how hard it is to try and provide a full running commentary for an hour and a half you may think twice.

to give you an idea of what its like, stick a video on, turn the sound off and then do the business. if you can go ten minutes without repeating yourselves you should be proud- you also have to measure your voice accordingly, make sure you use the correct tone and pitch and alter the pace of your voice with the action.

if you remember a few years ago Hale and Pace were tasked with becoming sports commentators- these are guys that have tonnes of media experience and they both floundered miserably. in the end only one of them was even allowed to do it, as the other just couldn't get his head around it.

if you want any tips then ask, cause i have had quite a bit of experience in training people in media skills. i'll try to help...

iandean
11-03-2003, 08:28 PM
But remember if they release a DVD there can be subtitles so us Southerners can understand the "English" commentary

Chris Kerr
12-03-2003, 11:59 PM
Mate, all my Pride videos are in Japanese so I do my own commentary anyway (sad aren't I?)

Droc - play by play
Me - colour

Dougie...MAKE IT HAPPEN!!
;)

Ross
13-03-2003, 11:03 PM
i will be commentating on this weekends cw

droc
18-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the offer of help man.

Myself and Kerr talked to Bling Bling and we're gonna see about giving it a go. Maybe on the next Cage Wars.

DROC

widge milward
19-03-2003, 10:55 AM
cage W-A-R-R-I-O-R-S....can you say that droc?

droc
20-03-2003, 03:48 PM
I have been training to remember what show I'm at, I even wrote little notes on my hands

DROC

Chris Kerr
25-03-2003, 02:17 PM
TTT for me and Droc.
WE have got some good plans and ideas.