PDA

View Full Version : Attn. Blue Belt

spenna
03-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Hello,

With all this talk of Blue Belts I thought is would be good to start a thread and find out a little info about each one :

I'll start.......

Name - Mark Spencer
Age - 23
Years training BJJ - nearly 3 years
Who gave you the Blue - Matt Thorton
When - Feb 03

Next ......

Godders
03-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Name - Chris
Age - 23
Years training BJJ - nearly 1 year
Who gave you the Blue 1 stripe - Royce Gracie
When - March 03

Rob Hannis
03-03-2003, 05:12 PM
Name - Rob Hannis
Age - 23
Years training BJJ - Since January 2003 in a proper structure and with the gi, but done about a year of gi-less bjj, and other stuff before that.
Who gave you the Blue - Royce Gracie
When - 27th Feb 03

Hywel Teague
04-03-2003, 12:47 AM
hywel teague
23 years old
training no-gi groundwork for a year and a bit
royce gave me the blue
feb 2003

Hywel Teague
04-03-2003, 12:47 AM
lol how we are all 23.

scary :p

Rob Hannis
04-03-2003, 02:21 AM
That is a bit weird, I thought I was getting old but you lot are too. And jenkins is still about and he's about 45.

spenna
04-03-2003, 02:30 PM
1 year and you got your blue! Damn, most people I train with have been doing BJJ a couple of years before they got there blue.

BTW I have got a strip as well ;)

Spenna

widge milward
04-03-2003, 02:55 PM
how hard is it to get a blue belt then? what do you need to know? etc....

i know its different with each nistructor but is there a set criteria or not?

Rob Hannis
04-03-2003, 02:59 PM
I couldn't say, at the royce seminar he just got the people who'd been training with each other for more than a year to spar with each other. Then he got most of us to stand up and said wear your blue belts next time.

I'll hopefully try and get my blue off Roy Harris later in the year (as my instructor is under him), I know he has a sylabus but not sure if he grades you exactly on it or your application of techniques from it.

Maccavelli
04-03-2003, 03:03 PM
:givesafuc

Belts just cover an inch of your ass blah blah.
I wish i still had my whitebelt it looked way cooler with my gi
Anyway we all know us SBG bluebelts would mess up you Gracie bums piece of pish :)

You's didnt even take a whipping from a giant to get your belt.

Widge- blue belt just means youve got game and know what ur doing

marvli
04-03-2003, 03:05 PM
in my club you have to have a fight several people to get a grading, and from what I know the people are fairly hard, so I am not yet ready to do this.

widge milward
04-03-2003, 03:14 PM
cool, just interested in this BJJ stuff, all my ground has come from judo (junior - no subs) and wrestling, then ive picked bits up as i go along. ooh also from training at the colosseum for about 2-3 years

Rob Hannis
04-03-2003, 03:20 PM
I was fed up with only having a white belt to cover my ass. I was a purple belt in traditional ju jitsu but I'm much happier to have this from royce. At the moment we're just working on escapes in bjj, and it's certainly helping in the vale tudo class especially against the bigger guys who don't do bjj.

Godders
04-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by spenna
1 year and you got your blue! Damn, most people I train with have been doing BJJ a couple of years before they got there blue.

BTW I have got a strip as well ;)

Spenna

I think the reason i got mine so quick was that i would from day 1 ask people LOADS of silly questions. If they beat me, id get them to show me how they did it :D

Plus Maccavelli and Dennis (our instructor) taught me to learn to "play" and relax.

Plus i gave Royce bum.

Hywel Teague
04-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Plus i gave Royce bum.

lol!

yeah a blue isn't hard to get, it means you've got game like mac said- you're adept at the basics and you can roll without thinking too much. now the step up to purple, woooo thats gotta be HARD......... one day, maybe!

spenna
05-03-2003, 08:07 PM
yeah a blue isn't hard to get

Matt Thorton made us all fight are arse off!

Any way, you can't call your self a real blue untill you get the whipping..... did any of you guys? I bet mac did;)

Spenna

Hywel Teague
06-03-2003, 03:03 PM
i feel like i got whipped by almost everyone i rolled with, i only got tapped once but every guy i rolled with was bigger stronger and more experienced than me! i felt like i got bitched and didn't expect to get a belt, and was surprised when royce said to give me one, but then i trust his judgment!

i suppose cause i was escaping lots and defended well against being tapped then he thought i was worth it, after all if you don't get tapped you don't lose right?

Godders
06-03-2003, 04:39 PM
I was reading on Royces website somewhere that he gives blue belts to those who correctly apply and understand the techniques shown and those who have "game" whilst sparring.

So even if u got beat etc, long as you showed you knew what you were doing you would get one.

Hywel Teague
06-03-2003, 04:44 PM
my thinking exactly.

Maccavelli
07-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Indeed i did spenna and very pleasant it was too

SBG RULEZZZZ

spenna
07-03-2003, 07:21 PM
LOL

The Royce boys don't know ..... They just don't know;)

spenna

Hywel Teague
07-03-2003, 07:29 PM
hey dude royce may have given me the blue but i'm SBG through and through

GBUK-Sheffield
29-09-2003, 05:34 PM
age - 23 (seriously)

Training 4.5 yrs maybe more

grade : blue belt 3 stripe

instructor: royce gracie

when: blue in june 2001, 2 stripes in feb 2002, 3 stripes feb 2003

as for all this talk of whippings, been there seen it done it.

Neil_Allen
08-12-2003, 10:27 PM
I have got some whippings but don't even have a blue belt yet!

spenna
09-12-2003, 09:56 AM
Ian,

I am sorry if I didn't make this thread clear ..... but it is only for "BLUE BELTS", not white belts or black belts with silly writing on it :D

Spenna

spenna
24-12-2003, 07:28 PM
Great post Roberto!

I don't take offence .... I know I am shit hot :D

I agree with you 100% I belive thats one of the reasons Barra brum have such a strangle hold on the UK grappling scene.

They have some class grapplers Glen, Ande, Strom, Racheal, Barry and the rest are always picking up winners trophies, because of the people they have around them and people they bring in.

spenna

Neil_Allen
16-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Atalla
Just a bit of info.

In Brasil, where people usually train everyday for at least two hours, most guys get their belts within the first year, some as soon as five months, but they have black belts teaching and observing them every class, in an environment surrounded by loads of blues, purples and so on, I for example got my blue belt in six and a half months after winning a Gracie Barra competition.
To get my purple I had to work hard for more than 3 years and only got that after I won the first Brasilian National Tournament in 94. Some friends training under Carlson Gracie stayed for five or six years in the blue belt, but unfortunately the gradings are a mess nowadays, the standards lowered both in Brasil and outside, so only competing and winning major tournaments can establish your real level. I consider a shame when some teachers charge money for grading or grade people after one seminar without even asking the responsible instructor how frequently and how long the student have been training, and if he is actually learning the techniques

Have to agree with this, I would not like to be graded by someone unless they really knew me and what I was capable of. A lot of people don't even train BJJ in a GI but go to a seminar and are given a blue belt. I would much rather be graded properly and wait for my belt knowing I definately deserved it. Unless I can do well against a blue belt then I don't want one.

spenna
16-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Please stop fucking up my thread.

Thanks

Spenna

Paddy Tapout
28-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Spenna started a deacent thread here that was only meant to be topical and a bit of fun, I read through it and couldn't believe the amount of bickering.
Its that for that exact reason that we r so far behind the yanks. They may well have been doing it for a while longer and no doubt the college wrestling background helps a lot, but us brits cant even agree on a simple matter like this, how do we expect to bring our sport forward when there are still people acting like kids

Yes, loads of different people go through more (or for that matter less) to to attain blue belt status, but, if the colour of your belt is all that folks are interested in then there are other sites that r there for your egos, and other sports for your skills.

Not havin a go but ive been out of the scene for about a year or so and was shocked to see the amount of petty sqwabbling in this thread, just airing my opinion and sayin hi to anyone that knows me, cheers, Paddy. :gulp

Duchman
11-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Aaron Karels
Started Gi bjj 2005
Got my blue in 2005 by atalla and marcos flexa

TMAS MMA CLUB
11-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Lee Dickson.
26yrs.
Blue belt under Mario Neto.
Been training Ju jitsu 4 years.
Got my purple belt exam sometime in May.

Train mainly no gi now though with a lot of freestyle wrestling too.

Duchman
11-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Exam? you know what to do etc for the exam? like normal martial arts test?

TMAS MMA CLUB
11-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Ye like for blue its 15 sweeps 15 guard subs 10 side control subs 10 mount subs 5 foot locks 5 take downs 5 guard passes 3 back escapes 3 arm bar escapes 3 traingle escapes 3 omoplata escapes 3 side control escapes and other bits which i can t remember but he won t let you take exam unless your good on the mat too.

bigleeroy1
11-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Lee Dickson.
26yrs.
Blue belt under Mario Neto.
Been training Ju jitsu 4 years.
Got my purple belt exam sometime in May.

Train mainly no gi now though with a lot of freestyle wrestling too.

dicko has got to have game on the floor getting a belt out of mario is like getting a quid out of a jew!!!!

ive rolled with blue belts that wuld get spanked by marios whites.

im not to interested in grading bjj at this time to be honest i went through a stage where i loved the bjj but im more concerned with stepping up in mma at the mo all tho i wuld like to grade one day just for the achievment.

Hywel Teague
11-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Aaron Karels
Started Gi bjj 2005
Got my blue in 2005 by atalla and marcos flexa
ttt'ing a five year old thread? for shame

Duchman
11-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Sorry mr chatfield

Gareth
12-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Gareth Jones
Trained properly for since Feb 07 but had done a class once a week sporadically between july and oct 06.
Belt awarded by Pedro Bessa in Dec 07 and I got whipped badly! we had almost 70 people at the grading and did it topless!

Predator
12-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Edit for not realising the thread was so old lol

TRIBULUS
13-04-2008, 11:21 PM
ttt'ing a five year old thread? for shame

I'd say it was an excellent find :)

Sorry to see that all the youthful optimism has been crushed out of most of the posters on this thread.

TRIBULUS
13-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Blue belt in Oct 2002 from Wilson Junior, Carlson Gracie london.

Brown belt in Dec 2006 from Wilson Junior, Carlson Gracie london.

Hywel Teague
14-04-2008, 12:48 AM
I'd say it was an excellent find

Sorry to see that all the youthful optimism has been crushed out of most of the posters on this thread.

Blue belt in Oct 2002 from Wilson Junior, Carlson Gracie london.

Brown belt in Dec 2006 from Wilson Junior, Carlson Gracie london.

Five years is a loooong time. Things change.

Blue to brown?

TRIBULUS
14-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Five years is a loooong time. Things change.

Blue to brown?

I was surprised just how much things and people have changed, the sport has come a long way since then.

Purple was in late 2004.

c-money
14-04-2008, 03:42 PM
started training in June 06, got my blue in sept 07. reckon i could still easily pass for a white belt though.

piratebrido
14-04-2008, 04:45 PM
I can't remember if I have been doing bjj for 2 or 3 years? Talk about poor memory! I think it's 2, as I believe that my 3 year Judo mark will be August or so. 2 years it is! Got my blue april/may-ish of 07.

Ben
14-04-2008, 06:50 PM
funny to see just how many people were 'Royce' blue belts back in the day. And I didnt even realise just how long some of you guys have been training! This thread was started when I had just started training

I think purple is the new blue?

inmate
16-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Hello...........

Andy K
16-04-2008, 11:22 PM
funny to see just how many people were 'Royce' blue belts back in the day. And I didnt even realise just how long some of you guys have been training! This thread was started when I had just started training

I think purple is the new blue?

Thats how you explain it!!!!

Are there shit loads of blue belts out there then????

Wonder how many people have got a Blue Belt from Royce????

fishface
16-04-2008, 11:25 PM
lol!

yeah a blue isn't hard to get, it means you've got game like mac said- you're adept at the basics and you can roll without thinking too much. now the step up to purple, woooo thats gotta be HARD......... one day, maybe!

One day, maybe, for who Hywel?

Started BJJ in '99, went to LA came back fuck all BJJ round Bolton etc , so did a lot of training at Atherton and Bolton Wrestling Club; hooked up with GB Brum and Darren C and GB Donny 2000, trained where I could and got blue in 2003 off Mauricao in Jersey.

Purple in Feb 2007 from Lagarto............... the journey continues!

F

Daihlo
18-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Im gonna start a thread for non blue belts!

How much does Royce charge for a blue these days?

Tapped blues, been tapped by blues, tapped blacks, been tapped by blacks.

I always understood that you were graded in BJJ by your ability, if you regularly start tapping blues, you get your blue (technique etc on top). Prob these days is so many are calling themselves different colours without realy meaning a whole lot.

Andy K
19-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Im gonna start a thread for non blue belts!

How much does Royce charge for a blue these days?

Tapped blues, been tapped by blues, tapped blacks, been tapped by blacks.

I always understood that you were graded in BJJ by your ability, if you regularly start tapping blues, you get your blue (technique etc on top). Prob these days is so many are calling themselves different colours without realy meaning a whole lot.

In my experience the grades in BJJ still do mean a lot. In fact at the big comps you get guys who are quite clarly sandbagged

COUNTCOMA
19-04-2008, 06:05 PM
I got my blue in about 3-4 months but that was training 5 days a week sometimes twice a day, got it in 2000 or 2001 can't remember from Mauricio.

Top Dog
19-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I always understood that you were graded in BJJ by your ability, if you regularly start tapping blues, you get your blue (technique etc on top)

Not sure if you miss typed but if you regularly tap blues you should really be a purple not a blue.

I think the grading system in BJJ is a complete mess. It’s not just about how good you are anymore. It’s a great deal of politics, kissing ass, and paying lots of money to Brazilians. There’s far too many crap blues that have just paid for loads of private lessons for their grades, and equally as many amazing blues stuck at that grade because they haven’t booked enough seminars for their purple. I had done judo at a high level for years before I started BJJ so inevitably I was taping blues when I started just through my years of judo. It still took me 2 years to get my blue due to lack of paying lots of money to one coach. I think like in judo if you’re good enough for the belt (winning contests, tapping your own belts, showing range of technique) you should receive your belt regardless of whether you’ve given x amount of years of service to your coach.

COUNTCOMA
19-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Top Dog has hit the correct on the head.

Saying that belts are worth shit they realy are.

Jogs D
22-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I got my Blue belt from Ze Marcello in beginning of 2005, after I competed in the London Open near the end of 2004 and took bronze in my category....