PDA

View Full Version : How do you combine MMA with Gym?

Godders
04-03-2003, 02:34 PM
Im wondering, most of the fighters have really good builds, looking strong etc.

I wonder how you guys mix it up with training.

Currently i do VT, Thai and BJJ and am doing these 4-7 times a week.

I find that due to excessive limping, hobbling etc etc i generaly feel like complete cack the next day and untill i warm up, generaly stay that way.

I find it near to impossible to train MMA after a good session in the gym blasting my chest (which normaly takes 3-4 days to recover).

My goals are to be lean, fit and strong and hey, bigger guns are always nice ;)

Rob Hannis
05-03-2003, 02:50 PM
Ok godders I know you're slack so try this as it works for me. Shedule your weights around your training so they don't clash, ie don't do legs the day before thai, chest the day before vt etc.

In addition try doing the following:

For your given exercise, say bench press, do 5 reps at 100% (ie you couldn't do any more than 5 with that weight and you should need spotting for rep no.5)

Then drop weight to 80-90% of your original weight and do a set of 5 reps. Keep doing 5 reps at this weight with 90 seconds rest until you feel you won't be able to do the full 5 next time and then stop. Keep notes of starting weight, 80% weight and no of sets you manage and try and increase them.

Don't go mad doing loads of exercises for each body part, just stick to the simple ones. This way you'll increase your size, strength and not have any problems with aches.

Godders
05-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Ill try that mate :cool:

Ross
05-03-2003, 11:49 PM
weights 2 days a week, 5 sets of 6 reps

Godders
06-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Anyone want to help me design a new scheduale then?

Monday - VT = 20 mins of circuit training - 2 hours
Tuesday - Free (sometimes to BJJ during the day if i find anyone, but i dont mind being fecked for that)
Wednesday - Thaiboxing - Circuit training, skipping etc, pad work, sparring - 1 hour
Thursday - See tuesday
Friday - VT same as monday
Saturday - BJJ
Sunday - Off

My plan is to gain/ retain muscle, lose weight, build up cardio.

But im not going for a fight. So a sorta all year round program i can do without burnout etc.

Chris Kerr
09-03-2003, 02:15 PM
is correct.
I would also say that if you are getting pectoral pain, you may be inefficient with the movement of the weights. Is it a bench press fixed weight machine or free weights? Your elbows should never dip below your shoulder height when pressing, as this can cause tears to the muscle. Heh after a hard session on chest press, my pecs feel like they are detatched from my body when I run down stairs etc or bounce! Feels good though, cos I know I have done the graft that's needed...

Hywel Teague
09-03-2003, 10:54 PM
godders it sounds as if your'e putting in the hard work alright. maybe what i'd suggest is altering your diet or the intensity of what you're currently doing.

you shouldn't need to add anything to that schedule, after all you're not planning to fight, so i'd keep it fairly similar to wat you got now, and look at what other factors will help achieve your goals.

if your want to lose fat build muscle and your training isn't helping you got to change your diet. post what you eat and we'll see if we can help.

Godders
10-03-2003, 03:39 PM
I want to get the gym in there somewhere too lmao.

My diet generaly consists of protein shakes, wholemeal bread, mackrel, tuna, pot noodles (im lazy), wholemeal pasta (with tomoates etc), wholemeal rice )with low fat curry sauce)

And i have the odd garlic bread and nan bread.

What sort of protein carb ration should i be looking for, for the sorta build/ training i do?

( i have rough ideas etc, but im interested to see what other people are doing).

Should i be doing cardio in the morning as well pherhaps on tuesdays and thursdays before i eat? i.e. 20 mins skipping

Hywel Teague
10-03-2003, 03:46 PM
pot noodle?????

oh mate you got to avoid these like the plague, an australian survey showed they have the same amount of fat in as a big plate of chips!

as for specific protein/carb ratios, i find this boring and anal!

i try to have one third of my plate protein, and the rest complex carbs or vegetables.

what you really have to look out for is that you don't eat too many carbs- its really easy to over do it, and tell yourself its ok cos they're carbs and they're healthy, but excess carbs just get converted to fat.

rather than do the atkinson method of cutting all carbs, just try and cut one group of carbs (ie, pasta/ potatos). when i stopped eating potatos my weight went down nicely, and when i cut back on pasta too my weight is just where i want and because i don't eat them now i can concentrate of stuffing my face with brown bread which is my favourite food in the world. :p

Godders
10-03-2003, 03:58 PM
feck me...

I was defrosting bread in the toaster to take mackrel (in tomato sauce) with wholemeal bread. When i over did it.

So im now eating it with toast.. and its fecking lovely.

Boo about pot noodles, its one of the few hot foods i can make myself :rolleyes:

Im gonna cut down my rice and pasta for a few weeks and check it out. Ive actualy lost quite a bit of weight over the last few years. So im doing something right.

Im just looking for that 6 pack for summer :p

Rob Hannis
11-03-2003, 03:23 PM
I saw quite a good program on dieting last night. It had a guy on the atkins diet and gave a nice explanation of it. About avoiding cards lowers your insulin levels so you don't turn the energy in fats and proteins in stored fats. Instead your body has to burn your existing fat supplies to energy. It also reccomended the processed carbs to avoid the most, such as sweets and normal pasta and white bread. If you need some carbs go for small portions of wholemeal stuff.

I'll be trying the atkins diet when I get back to training and need to loose this uni bulk I'm building up at the moment.

Godders
11-03-2003, 03:54 PM
I tried something similer once and made my body go into ketosis (sp?). Trouble is that it takes your brain a few days to change fuel supplys. And you find your a little retarded..

I couldnt do my job properly lmao.

Trouble with the atkins diet is its good for losing fat, but its very unhealthy and isnt really suited for anyone with a active lifestyle.

Rob Hannis
11-03-2003, 04:17 PM
How did you anyone notice you were retarded godders?

My mate was on the atkins diet very seriously for a while and he was still very active. He lost a good ammount of body fat and said he felt great. He was eating a shed load of protein though. The program last night said you shouldn't do it for more than a couple of weeks due to the stress it puts on your kidneys though.

Godders
11-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Shame on you rob taking such a easy potshot.

Rob Hannis
11-03-2003, 04:38 PM
It was just like a saturday night godders, you left yourself wide open again.

Wiegieboard
22-03-2003, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't do much more than 2 or 3 sets each exercise for your weights unless you heal excessively fast or are on roids. If you ask Stephen W on SFUK forum he'll be a great help. He REALLY knows his shit and how to get big and strong. I think he'll agree that sometimes less is more.
Neill Wylie

Godders
22-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Doing the gym etc was easy before as i was mainly lifting (hence why i can make my chest dance and people laugh cause i cant push my elbows togther)

But now im doing alot of MMA stuff im finding it harder to lift.

Im designing a new weekly routine and banging more cardio in. Maccavellis 3 rounds and hardly breaking a sweat has motivated me lol.

My plan thus far is roughly

Monday - Day
If i cant find anyone to do BJJ with - 40 mins 60-80% heart rate of combined skipping, cycling and bag work
Monday - Night
VT - 20 mins Circuit training - Rolling, Boxing, Thai etc - 2 hours
Tuesday - Chest, bicepts, tricepts followed by 40 mins on exercise bike - 60-80% heart rate
Wednesday - Night - Thai boxing - Circuit training, Sparring, Pad work etc
Thursday - Shoulders, Back, Neck - 40 mins cardio either in morning or straight after
Friday - Free - Possibly VT
Saturday - VT/ BJJ
Sunday - VT/ BJJ - Rest

Im leaving out leg raises, squats etc till my knees better
(besides my legs are Huuuuuge)

Maccavelli
25-03-2003, 01:17 PM
"Maccavellis 3 rounds and hardly breaking a sweat has motivated me lol"

Do i owe you money for all this PR

marvli
12-07-2003, 10:45 PM
shit I thought I train a lot, Godders you do all this and don't fight? Maybe you should, on the same subject I notice you Dr Octagon are training like a fighter with your plyo's, running, nutrition, training etc been meaning to ask if you're intending to fight as it seems a waste not too,... just my opinion though.. :)

my general routine is, but will be changing as of this Monday as I am changing trainers and clubs.

I don't touch weights, haven't done so for months, get up 6 am for a run, 3-5 miles depending on mood, then 100 press ups (I can do over 110 press-ups in 1 minute **look at finger nails and polishes them***), before having porridge made with boiling water, no sugar, but slices of bananna for taste. All carbs are wholemeal, and stay away from sauces and fizzy drinks, evenings I don't really have carbs just meat and greens. VT 3 times a week, ground work twice a week. The other 2 days, I do running mixed with plyometrics and a couple of dumb bell exercises. I find with this nearly all my body fat gets burnt away. To help I take creatine to recover mixed with d-ribose *sp which replaces the energy muscles need. Also stretching out properly after training prevents 'DOMS' during your training week so you don't feel achy the next 24-48 hours.

Godders
12-07-2003, 11:13 PM
I did do this till my hip died :(

Im building back up slowly though :)

Intend to fight, i will prob one day. Need to get good first lol :D
I just love the sport of it.

Your routine is hardcore, cut out the sacues... I need brown sauce man... It makes everything taste good!

marvli
13-07-2003, 08:35 AM
thing is, i know people that have been training for 3 years or so and still don't feel ready to compete or have a go, yet when I roll with them they tap me out :( , IMO- shouldn't let that stop you, with what you do (training routine) it looks like you're ready to step up if you want. If you're not too far from the midlands I'll pop over if you want to pressure test you, not saying I'm good but if I'm getting in there then surely you would get some kind of base of what's out there in the semi- \ am's.

I have a hip problem at the mo, or groin it's hard to know as I haven't had a problem like this before but will be getting it looked at.

Hywel Teague
16-07-2003, 04:30 PM
marv, only just noticed your earlier post...

as for training like a fighter, well i incorporate aspects of any fighters training but i don't always train like that. it depends if theres a comp coming up.

the other thing is of course the intensity changes a lot, if i;'m knackered i'll do some stuff but not push it. i don't believe in the whole work as hard as you can all the time thing- it just leads to burn out, which i have done many times. periodisation is the key, you gotta know when to peak.

and you never know, i may fight one day :) but for now i'm happy to stick with the submission grappling and talking about it lots!

marvli
24-07-2003, 12:15 PM
suley, re: "...getting in your multi vits and minerals and fatty oils in daily."

What type\form of fatty oils do you take.

cheers
marv

Godders
26-07-2003, 03:02 AM
cracking post Suley

Godders
26-07-2003, 01:32 PM
About 20 or something.

Tell you what, ill change it to what you want :chinese:

thaison
26-07-2003, 01:46 PM
chris can you change mine also.it says some skills id like super stud under my name.
Have a great weeknd dude il be sitting by reading your play by play.

Godders
26-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Hmmm i need some proof of super studness

marvli
27-07-2003, 01:27 AM
yeah I agree,
thanks suley, good to see you here.

cheers
marv