PDA

View Full Version : Hurling

Maccavelli
07-03-2003, 04:40 PM
No not projectile vomiting this is a pretty wicked sport i used to play back home *single tear comes to eye*. I got seriously mangled doing it but it was fun heres a description from a forwarded email i got, the last line i so true

Gaelic games:
St Patrick's Day brings the climax of the club championships in Gaelic games, which combine elements of the American sports of gridiron and baseball but are played with an intensity more associated with Mafia turf wars. The two main games are "football" and "hurling", the chief difference being that in football, the fights are unarmed. There is also "camogie" which is like hurling, except that in fights the hair may be pulled as well. Hurling, "the fastest game on earth", was best described by a Cork man to an American tourist when he said "its like a cross between ice hockey and murder"

Its all true a ball the density of adamantium is hit at head by big volatile dudes with sticks. Protective equipment is available but frowned upon by crazy old men at the sidelines.

I started playing this when i was 8. And they say MMA is a violent sport

iandean
07-03-2003, 05:31 PM
lol i've seen hurling before. Saw some guy get taken out with a hook to the Neck.

Nice friendly sport...are the winners decided by the amount of murders and serious injuries they make, becuase they really tear into each other.

Ronnoc
07-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Indeed Hurling is rough, I tried it but thought that I'd like to have 3 joint fingers instead of having alot of artificial joints added, also the head cracking thing is a godsend because when you get KO'd it means that the rest of you doesn't hurt as much. but above that its a fantastic team sport and indeed the fastest sport in the world.

Who did you play for Maccers? Did you compete at any level?

Connor

Maccavelli
24-03-2003, 02:11 PM
I was on the east down team as a kid, and i have deformed hands and a scar over my eye to prove it.