PDA

View Full Version : South Wales Open Mat....

Hands Of Stone
02-06-2008, 01:07 AM
Date Change - Either Sat 19th or Sun 20th.

Due to clash with Angrrr Grappling Comp & Cagewarriors....

Right, here we go. Fourth time lucky. :D

Simple enough in theory...

I'm going to open up the Dogs of War Gym, Penarth for an open mat event either on Saturday 5th or Sunday 6th July.

If you’ve never attended an open mat before, it’s just an opportunity to roll with people of differing backgrounds/abilities from different clubs, in a non-competitive atmosphere. What it is not is a seminar, a grading, a competition or a war. Just bring your shorts/gi and a smile. And some lube…..

The gym will be open from 12 midday (whichever day we’re open) till 3pm the same afternoon. Come when you want, leave when you want although I’m gonna try and structure the afternoon as follows.

12-1pm : Open rolling.
01-2pm : Relaxed Q&A session hopefully involving all the coaches from the different clubs, Pro-Fighters and anyone of experience.
02-3pm : Open rolling.

I’m also gonna try and integrate a wristband system into the day, just so that people can gauge who and what they’re getting into before they start rolling with a new face.
On signing into the day, you’ll be asked how long you’ve been training and at what level you’ve competed, if ever. You’ll then be issued a coloured wristband denoting…

a) Beginner, under a years training or slow learner.
b) Recreational trainer of mid-level ability.
c) Open class. Pro fighter, coach or competitor with any good grappling format experience.

Please remember, this is not done to create an opportunity to go headhunting or gutting fresh fish.

People/clubs who’ve shown a genuine interest so far are…

Our lot at Dogs of War, Penarth
Chris Rees, Gracie Barra Swansea and associated clubs.
Karl Parker and his Neanderthals from Blaen Avon Sub Wrestling.
Ollie Ellis and the West County Carrot Combat Club.

Just from memory, so sorry if I miss anyone out, I’d like to hear from….

Raj Bista from Warrior Caste, Bristol.
Charlie or anyone from Trojan, Bristol and associated clubs.
Tim Newman and his guys, Newport.
Heath Gate from Falcons and associated clubs.
Pedro Bessa and any of his associated instructors local to South Wales.
Jamie and his guys/girls at Daves Gym, Cardiff.
Budgie or anyone at SSJJ, somewhere in the hills.
The guys in Pembroke/Haverford.
The guys in Merthyr.
Fight Academy, Wales
Dave Coles, Combat Academy, Hereford.

This list is non-exhaustive and will be added to as my memory improves or people get in contact.
It’s an open mat with an open invite, so even if you’re not affiliated to any club, the offer still stands.

Cost for the afternoon will be 3.

There are toilets, two grotty showers on site and shops, supermarkets and pubs just around the corner.

Gym location...

St Pauls Martial Arts Center
Arcot Street
Penarth

Thanks for taking the time to trawl through that load of shite,

Paul Jenkins

Pm me though here or...
Email - handsofstone@hotmail.com
Mob. - 07948401881

wagon
02-06-2008, 08:19 AM
sounds cool I'll ask the boys at Pedro's and check with the boys from the Rhondda.

Whats the post code Paul? Sat Nav!!

Darkside
02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
sounds good, il pop along definately, wagon you can have a lift if you want to mate

wagon
02-06-2008, 10:13 AM
sounds good, il pop along definately, wagon you can have a lift if you want to mate

Ok mate sounds like a plan. I'll check with Alex Evs and Chris Robotham. I'm sure Denzil and Kev Reed will be there too. Ricky should borrow the sunshine variety bus from work. Noone will know the difference with us lot in the back!!!

General H
03-06-2008, 09:49 AM
hi paul
sounds good, will try & pop along however i'm very busy around that time so it may be difficult. will tell the boys though.
H

Hands Of Stone
03-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Cheers, H.

Also, if anyone could throw me email addy's and contact numbers for any of the clubs listed above who ain't got in touch, or add to the list, it'd be much apprieciated.

The Hands

wagon
03-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Paul

Greg Creel from Pedro's is gonna mail you mate we'll be there. Sunday may be better as Kev Cox does a Saturday class.

Hands Of Stone
04-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Date Change !!!

Due to clash with Angrrr Man. Grappling tourny, I'm gonna move the open mat to a week later.
Either Sat 19th or Sun 20th.
If Godders can arrange to have the date poll changed up top, everyone use it cos I can please more people once I know who wants what.

The Hands

Godders
04-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Yes sir! :p

Godders
04-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Boo, same weekend as Cagewarriors!

Hands Of Stone
04-06-2008, 10:12 PM
No problems moving it again.
Its for fun so timings not important.
Anyone got a problem with either Sat 19th or Sun 20th July...?

The Hands

shakus maximus
04-06-2008, 10:45 PM
you have pm mate

wagon
05-06-2008, 09:03 AM
No problems moving it again.
Its for fun so timings not important.
Anyone got a problem with either Sat 19th or Sun 20th July...?

The Hands

sould be fine again Sundays best:D

Godders
05-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Sweet :D

Ill change the date again

Hands Of Stone
06-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Cheers, G.
I'm gonna get on my email bandwagon now and start mailing clubs/contacts direct, so this is an open invite for everyone and anyone to pm/mail me as many South Wales MMA clubs/trainers/independant fighters emails addresses as possible.
Don't worry about me getting duplicate mails, I'd rather sort out a load of mails than recieve none at all. So, go back to my original, fill in any missing clubs etc, and mail me every club/trainer/fighters contact email you can think of.

Myself and Godders have plenty cool ideas in the pipeline and this open mat is just a kind of sounding board to see if the extra effort is worth it for the more complex stuff.
Thanks in advance,

The Hands.
handsofstone@hotmail.com

Timbomo
06-06-2008, 04:27 PM
I'll be there along with a few guys from Newport MMA

Godders
06-06-2008, 07:20 PM
There will be prizes to anyone who understands my accent.
(It involves Jenkins, baby oil and....)

Hands Of Stone
06-06-2008, 09:15 PM
There will be prizes to anyone who understands how Godders can keep a full time job whilst smelling so bad....

The Hands

Godders
07-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Its all about the direction of the office fan

shakus maximus
08-07-2008, 10:53 PM
looking forward to this
see you on the 20th

MMAlien
08-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Good luck paul, i cant make it because ill be in spain! but im sure there will be plenty more!

shakus maximus
12-07-2008, 12:00 AM
what had the response been like so far Mr Jenkins

Hands Of Stone
13-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Shakey, if I relied just on 'Yeah, sure thing, I'll be there...' then it'll be a class afternoon, but life ain't that simple, lol.
Been pushing the event online, over emails, phone calls etc for weeks.
So, over today and tomorrow I'm gonna phone club instructers, gyms direct and get some rough figures, yes/no's and then put the roll-call up on here so everyone knows who/what to expect to some extent.

The Hands

shakus maximus
13-07-2008, 06:11 PM
lovely job mate
defo 4 of us coming down

shakus maximus
14-07-2008, 10:58 PM
paul, will it be ok to bring one of the young uns with us. he is 16.
let me know

FightAcademyWales
17-07-2008, 10:07 AM
roll on sunday, should be very good

Hands Of Stone
17-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Darren, load your van up and bring some gloves,shorts and gear down if you want to try and sell some on the day, otherwise I'll hand out a load of your flyers etc....

The Hands

Timbomo
19-07-2008, 02:51 AM
About 5-6 boys coming down from Newport MMA

FightAcademyWales
19-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Darren, load your van up and bring some gloves,shorts and gear down if you want to try and sell some on the day, otherwise I'll hand out a load of your flyers etc....

The Hands

Thanks Paul Mate,

my missis is due a baby girl very soon she is a week over due now, so i wont be able to make it down (gutted) will be a good one with loads of people from all over coming down, i`ll give you a ring in a bit to give flyers if ok.

cheers again
sorry could not make it.
Darren