PDA

View Full Version : Calf Crush

Godders
22-03-2003, 07:06 PM
Hi guys

Anyone tell me the specifics for the calf crush?

Its when you crush their calf (funnily enough). Darrin Richardson showed this to great effect but im not quite getting it.

(ive tried a few people who all go ouchie, but say they wouldnt tap)

Id like to do this rather than a heel hook etc which has the guilt "oh dear i mangled you" factor.

So say you take the left from your left, your left arm goes under, hand on your right bicept and you bring your right hand to your left shoulder and lean back.

Is there a specific point on the calf your looking for etc etc

Maccavelli
24-03-2003, 12:31 PM
Leg control- it wont work without it, keep your knees insanely tight so the dude cant move his hips around and adjust pressure. I normally have one foot on his hip as well.

Grip- the one darrin showed us works well, grip the ankle as if you are applying a rear naked choke, and keep it really tight than arch to apply.

Thats what id do.

Godders
24-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Ah :D

I see my flaw.

Ill practice it on you tonight ;)

DavidMc
24-03-2003, 05:36 PM
If you're still not getting the sub there are a few things you can try.

Location: Basically there are two places you can get the sub, just under the calf muscle (which is hard to find), or on the achilles tendon (much easier), to find the point on the achilles tendon just apply your grip and slide back on their leg until your forearm hits their heel, you should be in the right place.

Grip: If the regular grip isn't working try making a fist with your left hand, and placing it in the palm of your right hand, allowing you to angle your forearm into their leg a bit more. Alternativly try putting the lock on with your right arm fed through (reversing the grip) this puts pressure on a nerve down the inside of the ankle.

Body position: As well as Pauls advice about leg and body control, try rolling onto your side and arching your back to apply more pressure, or roll all the way onto your front, and try to push your hips into the ground (like a reverse armbar).

If you still can't get the sub, try someone else, some people just don't feel this one, although I have found it works best on bigger opponents.

Hope this helps.

David.

Godders
24-03-2003, 05:40 PM
Cheers dude :)

Its funny, i train once with a sambo guy and im now trying kneebars and leglocks on everyone.

Hywel Teague
24-03-2003, 05:55 PM
its like that though isn't it?

you train with the same people all the time, you can end up getting a bit stuck in a routine, you know the people you are rolling with too well and just doing the same old stuff, its nice to see what other people do as well so you can get a taste for something slightly different.

BJJ, Wrestling, Sambo, Judo, whatever

we're all different expressions on the same face.

Neil_Allen
24-03-2003, 10:11 PM
I always find arching your back to be hard when trying the sub, try to look over your back as far as possible or upto the ceiling. This should help arch enough.

I thought the calf crunch was that sub when you can't take the back so you slide one leg inside their's and triangle it with your other leg. Then just pull the foot upwards curshing the calf over your leg?

I'm a little confused as it seems some people call the same move different names and different moves the same name, sometimes.

Godders
24-03-2003, 11:18 PM
Good thing about maccavelli is that he knows sooo many crazy ass subs and just watches shooto tapes all day.

He keeps me on my toes :D

But, ive made a pledge to myself to try funky shit. Im also working on my open guard and guard passes. I spent a bit of time working on my positional game, now im working on getting there and doing funky shit lmao.

I even pulled off a triangle tonight (if youve seen my legs you would be impressed too lmao)

My mission for next time i spar is a armbar from guard, they pull out and you attack the other arm aka compliments thaison.

hehe I love this sport

Hywel Teague
25-03-2003, 12:34 AM
i love this sport too, i feel like my open guard game is getting much better, my hips are a lot more active and my sensitivity is good.

my leg subs have been pretty good recently as well, been catching quite a few ankle locks, toe holds etc. just waiting for my first fully blown kneebar :cool:

although i have decided i really need to work on my arm submissions and my chokes- i feel this is an area i need to put some time in on cos i don't seem to be catching anyone with these. i guess half the problem is strength, a lot of guys can just power out of my arm locks.

oh well, if i build it, they will come...
:p

Rob Hannis
25-03-2003, 12:19 PM
My subs aren't that good at the moment in bjj, they're better in vale tudo class. Just working positions in bjj at the moment but love doing some funky stuff. Had someone taking photos the other week so had to get in some cart wheel guard passes for the camera.

I want to work on my leg locks, my positioning is slightly out but it's getting better and I want to look for more entries into them.

just need a fight on the cards to get me working harder.....

widge milward
10-04-2003, 03:14 PM
"Good thing about maccavelli is that he knows sooo many crazy ass subs and just watches shooto tapes all day"

LMAO....thats how i get most of my subs,

sato,sudo and murahama...... the 3 baddest men on the planet

Maccavelli
17-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Widge is correct, been working on sakurai no hands cartwheel guard pass.

Wiegieboard
03-05-2003, 12:47 AM
Would it be considered decent to saw your wrist across the tendon to cause more pain? I used to do that one to my mate bam bam and vice versa and sawing the tendon made it ten times worse. My technique is shite on it, thats why we "invented" the saw.
We called it the bonesaw and then when spiderman came out we were like "YEEEEAAAA!!!"
cheers
Neill Wylie