PDA

View Full Version : Beat up the blue belts.

thaison
29-04-2003, 10:03 PM
Ive noticed since becoming a blue belt when ever i roll with white belts they try to tear ma head off. I think the guys who do it want the ego trip of beating a blue belt ( a ten stone weak ass blue belt ).
I dont mind getting taped by anyone just hate dudes trying to over power me when im being nice an rolling to learn.
If the want to over power me stand up with me and try.

Is this just me ?

Godders
29-04-2003, 11:13 PM
I tend to put on my teaching hat when it comes to new guys.

Course you do get the odd one who comes in who wants to rip your head off.

Which is fun ;)

Wiegieboard
30-04-2003, 11:33 PM
I try and be as gentle as possible when rolling and use as little strength as possible so that I adjust to use better technique instead and my bro is the exact opposite. He tries to beat the living shit outa me and screams dragonball style when we're rolling cuz he's putting so much effort into trying to break my arm on the shaft of the bone rather than the joint.

Although you guys are a totally higher standard from me, what I try and do with my bro is just go for positions where it would take either a lot of strength, or very good technique to get out of and I try and keep putting him in these positions until he tires out. then I try and go for the sub if I can find one.

If someone uses a lot of strength when rolling I try to see it as an opertunity for a little realism. I'm a pretty small guy too so I know how you feel on this one. Also, remember that you're pretty good Thaison and that a lower lever BJJer will have to try and use more strength to beat you because they maybe haven't got the technique that you have.
Neill Wylie

Hywel Teague
30-04-2003, 11:41 PM
read roy harris essay on the different stages on belts in BJJ, he explains blue belt id the belt of survival :)
check out www.royharris.com

Lhn
01-05-2003, 12:38 PM
"Ive noticed since becoming a blue belt when ever i roll with white belts they try to tear ma head off."

Its more fun rolling with such people, I think.

thaison
01-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Checked out Roy Harris's essay makes sense to me.

I enjoy tapping big dudes out using technique as it shows im making the concept work.
Id still much rather roll technically and learn than have to go into survival mode.

Neil_Allen
02-06-2003, 11:25 PM
I took it real easy Saturday, mainly coz John H almost broke my ankle before we started, and found that without using strength it's easy to relax and tire the opponent. My technique was good and I caught an armbar on a guy in under 5 seconds, I just looked up and smiled then let go and went to guard where I easily sweeped him.

It was most fun :D

Ross
04-06-2003, 02:58 PM
i got this as i went to another club the other night and ran through the groups best 10 guys 5-6 times.

they went mad, but the best way is to show them, by using technique and totally raping them, i could go very very hard if i wanted but i choose not to.

Wiegieboard
08-06-2003, 12:26 AM
I got SO bitched by one of the blue belts today!! Tried everything I could think of but could I get in a half decent position...NO way! I could tell he wasn't even trying too :ko:
Neill Wylie

Wiegieboard
08-06-2003, 03:47 PM
I tried a knee bar as well but it never went quite right as I didn't get the extension correct. The blue belt who wupped me was quite short and stocky built, cant remember his name(sorry if you read this dude lol I'm bad with names). I wasn't really going for subs much this week though, I was more trying to get into different positions and work out how to use my gi a bit better. I think I've torn a trap again :(
Neill Wylie

Neil_Allen
10-06-2003, 02:07 PM
I never really try knee bars as I don't like to lose a position.

Although Shaun gifted me one not so long ago but I tend not to as I am not good at them and think they are a bit risky when I find more success elsewhere.

Wiegieboard
11-06-2003, 12:59 PM
The class was quite quiet last saturday so scott was geting us all to take it sorta slow and easy so we could try new things and stuff. sorta so we could get to try things we wouldn't normaly try when rolling. obviously I never tried the knee bar on the blue belt because I never had half the chance to lol as he was too busy kickin my ass.