PDA

View Full Version : Rowling vs Tolkien

Smith
15-12-2005, 08:17 AM
:finger:

Nah seriously, I'll willingly set my team of Lord Vordemort, Dumblemore, Hagir(sp?) against any three corporeal beings of middle earth any day.

Ok, how about: Tom Bombadil (cannot be harmed, control over pretty much everything - even the ring has no effect on him), Gil-Galad (elf lord, mightiest warrior of his generation, leader of the last alliance against sauron) and.... hmmm.... i'm tempted to say a Mumak, but that would just be silly. Probably going to go with Gandalf - post resurrection, that is - seeing as he suddenly got mad powers.

Gandalf would kill Dumbledore and take his place, luring Harry and Hermione into a false sense of security. Even if they tried to kick off against him, Hagrid and the rest of the Hogwarts staff would take them out. Gil-Galad could handle pretty much anything monster-wise, and Tom Bombadil would be there to deal with anything and everything else - nice being entirely magic- and damage-resistant in a world where magic is the one power source :D

also, JK Rowling is a shameless hack of the first order, who has never had an original thought in her life - her books are just compilations of ideas stoled from a variety of sources - Tolkien, Pratchett, even those Worst Witch kids' books from way back when (witches... at school? revolutionary concept)

Wiegieboard
15-12-2005, 01:21 PM
smith......impressive! I go with Tolkein>Rowling

Smith
21-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Aren't you forgetting something?
Rowling invented Time Travel as featured in the book 'Prisoner of Azkazan'.
She merely went back in time and gave all the writers you list their original ideas in order to make fantasy writing popular so she would then make the millions on her books she has now done.

The logic is inescapable.
Rowling > Tolkien

however, your point is flawed. if rowling went back in time and inspired those authors, i wouldn't be able to claim that she copied them. she copied them. as i have just done what her time-travel would render impossible, logically, she cannot have travelled back in time, as the continuum (and her plagiarism) is exactly as it was when i made that first comment.

it's cause-effect theory. if you go back in time and change the cause, the effect will cease to be as it was. clearly, i still think she is a hack, so the cause (her being a money-grubbing publicity whore) must still hold true. consequently, she has not timetravelled.

i thank you.

Hands Of Stone
19-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Rowling = Dogs Eggs. Try Phillip Pulmans 'Dark Materials' trilogy. And Readers Wives.

The Hands

Smith
19-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Tolken is one of the greatest brummies that ever lived! most stuff mimics his work although the harry potter books are classics the movies suck!

he was born in bloemfontaine, south africa, and lived most of his life in oxford. aside from a few years (1896-1910) in Sarehole, a village near brum, i don't think he can really be considered a brummie... sorry.

Smith
22-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Read this dude he was born in south Africa his parents were brummies his mother moved back 2 miles from brum he went to a birmingham school fuck me mate a brummie! I bet he even had a brumie accent if a dogs born in a barn does that make it a horse? or is it still a dog regardless of where it was born! read up dude!
((( click me ))) (http://home.freeuk.net/webbuk2/tolkien-biography.htm)

actually, i covered all that in my post.

from your link: "His mother had originally come from Birmingham, and on their return from South Africa found lodgings in the Warwickshire village of Sarehole, which was a couple of miles outside Birmingham, on the road to Stratford."

last i checked, Sarehole wasn't the same as birmingham. your logic would mean that someone from shrewsbury was welsh, just because of the porximity of the two places.

furthermore, your comment about dogs and barns and horses is just silly because genetics and species has nothing to do with where you are born.

i notice, though, that you ignore all the pertinent points of both my post and your own link.

regarding "reading up", here's another extract from your link:
Significant Dates
3 Jan 1892 Born in Bloemfontein, South Africa
15 Feb 1896 Family returned to England; father died; childhood spent at Sarehole Warwickshire
1900 Mother becomes Catholic; starts school; move to Birmingham
1904 Mother died
1908 Met Edith (future wife)
1911 Student at Oxford
1913 Resumed relationship with Edith
1914 World War I
1915 Graduated from Oxford
22 Mar 1916 Married Edith; sent to France
1918 Returned to England; end of War; became lexicographer
1920 Obtained post at Leeds University
1925 Obtained post at Oxford
1937 Hobbit published
1954-55 Lord of Rings published
1969 Retired; moved to Bournemouth
22 Nov 1971 Edith died
2 Sep 1973 Tolkien died

notice that i've highlighted the relevant part for you, in case you missed it again (as you must have done during your in-depth research). I admit my original post was incorrect. Tolkien did not live in birmingham (technically, Sarehole in warwickshire) between 1896 and 1910. it was, in fact, between 1900 and 1911. so. even less time, then.

regarding the accent issue, again from your own link:
"You may imagine Tolkien to speak with a deep and slow voice, as someone who did not know, might expect a Gandalf to speak.

But in fact, Tolkien did not have a deep voice, and spoke quite rapidly, reflecting his nimbleness of mind. In his biography Humphrey Carpenter also comments on Tolkien's quality of speech (and his short stature). Not what you would expect of a Gandalf - more like Bilbo

having heard an interview with Tolkien, i can assure you he has no accent. (i wish i'd taken your bet).

anyway. you want to try me some more?

Smith
23-01-2006, 12:07 AM
i think those 3 pretty much sum up his middle earth works. try also "unfinished tales" and "farmer giles of ham" for more of his prose.

Smith
25-01-2006, 06:04 PM
hahah... you claiming a moral victory, then? ;)

Blanka
26-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Significant Dates
3 Jan 1892 Born in Bloemfontein, South Africa
15 Feb 1896 Family returned to England; father died; childhood spent at Sarehole Warwickshire
1900 Mother becomes Catholic; starts school; move to Birmingham
1904 Mother died
1908 Met Edith (future wife)
1911 Student at Oxford
1913 Resumed relationship with Edith
1914 World War I
1915 Graduated from Oxford
22 Mar 1916 Married Edith; sent to France
1918 Returned to England; end of War; became lexicographer
1920 Obtained post at Leeds University
1925 Obtained post at Oxford
1937 Hobbit published
1954-55 Lord of Rings published
1969 Retired; moved to Bournemouth
22 Nov 1971 Edith died
2 Sep 1973 Tolkien died
24 Apr 1983 Tolkien Reborn
27 Feb 2003 Tolkien Joins cagewarriors forums in the guise of 'Smith'
24 Jan 2006 Tolkien/Smith wins argument about himself.

Smith
29-01-2006, 08:21 PM
hahaha... i am sauron, and this forum is my mordor. blanka, you can be an orc. but not a pretty one, ok?

Blanka
09-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Wouldn't a Dwaft be a more apt part for me?

Smith
10-02-2006, 08:26 AM
heheh... i like that. blanka, your new name shall be Farmer Maggot :D