PDA

View Full Version : What Gi to buy

mxmatthews
09-11-2008, 11:46 AM
i been trainin mma for about a year now, mainly sub grabbling tho and i am looking to buy a gi because i would really like to get a grading in bjj and attend a few more gi classes. i will probaly only be doing one gi class a week so is there really any need to spend a fortune?? i like the look of the venum power gi but its a bit pricey! but then parents are paying for xmas so doent really matter!lol.any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks.

Sir Tapsalot
09-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Fuji make a great value gi, and it's very reasonable priced too. You can get them from these websites: kodokangear.com (http://www.kodokangear.com) or hatashitasports.com (https://www.hatashitasports.com/index.php)

mmafighter999
09-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Ive got a keiko one i got from gracie barra and there really nice and if you put patches on them there great

FAIXA RUA
09-11-2008, 12:46 PM
man,i got some nice kimono
my company only make Jiu Jitsu kimono for best fight in world
we no make ninja suit or foam nunchuka

i brazilian guy but have distribute in hengland
the kimono you can by at Roger Grace Academy Mill Hill
or Carlson Grace London or Carlson Grace Tonbridge

or even ease from internet an we send in 24 hour
www.faixarua.com

white gold weave 60 plus 10 postage if buy from hinternet

blue pearl weave 70 plus 10 postage if buy from hinternet

black double weave 80 plus 10 postage if buy from hinternet

all kimono and pant hav 8 week garentee

FAIXA RUA - ONLY MAKE EQUIPPE FOR BEST FIGHT IN WORLD

creonte
09-11-2008, 12:53 PM
faixa rua my fren you rubbish at england language
you need for go back scool

Scott
09-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Faixa, I have Koral gi for best fight, A2 Koral fit me real nice understan fren?

What size Faixa Rua Gi you recomen for me? 5'10" 73kg, not built like brick sheethouse.

shakus maximus
10-11-2008, 09:17 AM
What size Faixa Rua Gi you recomen for me? 5'10" 73kg, not built like brick sheethouse.

awsome. lol

BlackEagle
10-11-2008, 10:35 AM
i been trainin mma for about a year now, mainly sub grabbling tho and i am looking to buy a gi because i would really like to get a grading in bjj and attend a few more gi classes. i will probaly only be doing one gi class a week so is there really any need to spend a fortune?? i like the look of the venum power gi but its a bit pricey! but then parents are paying for xmas so doent really matter!lol.any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks.

We offer a very good BJJ Gi at a very reasonable price.

http://www.black-eagle.co.uk/martial-arts-clothing-brazilian-jitsu-kimonos-c-1_124.html

FAIXA RUA
10-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Scott

You gonna need A2 unles you bout
do corse ov brazilian vitamin

badshah
10-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Fuji make a great value gi, and it's very reasonable priced too. You can get them from these websites: kodokangear.com (http://www.kodokangear.com) or hatashitasports.com (https://www.hatashitasports.com/index.php)

www.taosports.co.uk sell the Fuji Gi also (White & Blue). My brother got one for teh Kent Open, and it's a very nice gi for the price (60- 65). The cut is similer to Koral/ vulkan.

It weighted in 300g over the Vulkan Gi I brought (it doesn't get lighter then a Vulkan)

The pants on the Fuji are top notch also. The patchs are not stiched on, so it's great for those who don't like thier gi covered in patchs.

I'm waiting for Tao Sports to get the black versions in, and i'm getting it.

Note on Black Eagle Gi's, I've not tried thier new cut, but they broke my heart, first Gi i brough and the fit was not got, I got a Judo gi latter which fit better. They even sent me some ones elses Gi in the post.

Black Eagle, we could have had somthing special :(

Xanthic
10-11-2008, 05:12 PM

thanks.

You dont need to spend loads on a gi, especially for your first one. Agreed that you need a quality one but spending 100 on your first gi (when you dont know whether you're gonna keep it up) is abit much. I say, buy a basic no nonsense gi to get used to the heat and grip and if you decide later that you want to keep doing gi and compete - buy a nice silver/gold weave gi. If you buy an expensive gi, then decide you dont like doing gi BJJ it's a waste of some good money ;)

I still use my 30 Blitz Kokuba one and have done for over a year, no problems with it at all :)

:cool:

jonbroster
10-11-2008, 10:35 PM
The Blitz Gis / Kimonos are all fine & good value for money.
I know a few people who have the Lutador BJJ Kimono. They are fine.
I have one of the heavy weight judo gis; it has lasted years.
They do HUGE discounts for instructors.

I just picked up a Krugans Kimono from Ebay (second hand, but only the trousers are worn) for 40 and it is very nice. I spoke to one of the purple belts at Gracie Barra in Nottingham today who was wearing one - she rated it highly too.

Jon

mxmatthews
10-11-2008, 10:43 PM
is the fuji gi jacket made from one piece? like the koral one for strength agross the back?? i have looked on the website and they seem very well priced and look very good. thankyou.

mxmatthews
10-11-2008, 10:44 PM
also what abot the koral gi?? anyone have any thorts on that?? i dont want one with lots of patches all over it thats all, so fuji gi looking good at the mo, thanks everyone

Rob T
10-11-2008, 10:51 PM
(when you dont know whether you're gonna keep it up)

I ordered an Atama double weave after my 2nd lesson. Almost 4 years later and I still have it!

EDIT: Atama double weaves are tough as nails.

Sir Tapsalot
10-11-2008, 10:58 PM
is the fuji gi jacket made from one piece? like the koral one for strength agross the back?? i have looked on the website and they seem very well priced and look very good. thankyou.also what abot the koral gi?? anyone have any thorts on that?? i dont want one with lots of patches all over it thats all, so fuji gi looking good at the mo, thanks everyone

Yep, the Fuji is made from one piece, just like the Korals. I own both (A2 Fuji, A1 Korals), and rate the Fuji as being just as good as the Koral, and when you factor in that the Fuji is cheaper, it's a great deal. Main differences between the two are that the Fuji sleeves are slightly wider, but shorter, the Fuji jacket is slightly more tailored in the body (the Koral is quite a square, boxy cut), and the Fuji pants are a bit baggier and not cut quite as well as the Koral (but still better then many others). As with all these things, it's really down to personal preference. I'd suggest try on the gis of your teammates and seeing which you like the best.

James

BlackEagle
11-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Note on Black Eagle Gi's, I've not tried thier new cut, but they broke my heart, first Gi i brough and the fit was not got, I got a Judo gi latter which fit better. They even sent me some ones elses Gi in the post.

Black Eagle, we could have had somthing special :(

The original Gi we had was our first foray into BJJ. The only 'negatives' we had were the cut of the sleeves, but as always, lots liked them, some didn't.

The new models have tapered sleeves and legs, and the jacket is a single piece, so no seem on the back (another 'negative' from the old model).

As for the wrong Gi, well, mistakes do happen, and I can only apologise, but in the event of an error, we always strive to put it right as quickly as possible, and take the experience to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I think the popularity of our BJJ Gi speaks for itself, with an increasing number of Academies using our Kimono as their Kimono if choice.

Working with them, and the people we sponsor, means we can continually look to improve our product through the feedback we receive from them.

I know we cannot please everyone, and you pays your money and takes your choice, but Black Eagle BJJ Gi are up there with the best of them, and that is not just my opinion!

During 2009 we will be adding to our BJJ range, and will have the largest selection of BJJ Gis available from a British brand in the UK.

aaronwillis
11-11-2008, 11:41 AM
do ur bottoms have the padding on the knees like the WAR kimonos do

BlackEagle
11-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Our trousers are lined similar to Judo trousers.

Harley
12-11-2008, 05:03 PM
The Blitz Gis / Kimonos are all fine & good value for money.
I know a few people who have the Lutador BJJ Kimono. They are fine.

I have a Blitz Lutador gi, great gi, nice and light while still maintaining good quality. I have heard the bottoms are a bit oversized in some of the larger sizes (mines a size 2):)

KCG
14-11-2008, 02:20 PM
just to throw my 2ps worth in, just received a black-eagle golden weave today. the cut is fantastic and the material feels ultra durable. obviously i'm going to go through a few rolls before making a final decision but on service, price and looks I would not hesitate to go for one of these.

BlackEagle
16-11-2008, 01:32 PM
man,i got some nice kimono
my company only make Jiu Jitsu kimono for best fight in world
we no make ninja suit or foam nunchuka

Mmmmmmm, now that's an interesting choice of words..........given when it was posted.......;) :D

BlackEagle
16-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Faixa Rua

You say you make your Gis in Brazil, but if you make your Gis in Brazil, why do you ship to the US from the UK?? Surely much cheaper to ship to the US from Brazil?

Re: Faixa Rua Kimono

Postby faixa rua on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:21 am
I am sure we can ship anywhere, it is just going to cost for shipping. We already had a hard time finding affordable shipping from UK to US.

Also:

Postby faixa rua on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:49 pm
There is no seam down the back middle, if for skirt you mean the cuts on the side - yes there is. The best thing to do is to email *******@googlemail.com - he has the gi's and can work with you to buy one now, I don't know when the online store will be up. I have one and it is a good gi, they are cut much like Atama, they seem to be much better quality also, and they are light weight.

Good English there my friend. And the bit I have highlighted is a curious thing to say for the manufacturer, isn't it? Surely, as the manufacturer, it would be obvious you had one, no?

Postby faixa rua on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:09 am
right now they will be shipping out of the UK, so the prices may change in US dollars, bue here is what I know:

60 white
70 blue
80 black.

exchange rate is currently 1.8 to the dollar so we are looking at

$110 for white
$130 for blue and
$150 for black.

Again, strange, you make in Brazil, but your primary sell price is in pounds which you then convert to dollars?? All Brazilian companies I have ever dealt with sell in US Dollars....never the other way round.

Also, on your home page you show the belts in CM lengths, whereas the Brazilians do everything in A1, A2, A3 sizes etc.......

The thread on your website forum.....http://www.faixarua.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I look forward to your reply.

aaronwillis
16-11-2008, 07:24 PM
woop woop :)

wagon
17-11-2008, 08:32 AM
have you seen that film the conspiracy theory with Mel Gibson. One of my favourite films that!

Rob T
17-11-2008, 09:51 AM
My prediction is, this thread will kick off today. Big time.

wagon
17-11-2008, 10:18 AM
My prediction is, this thread will kick off today. Big time.

either here or on EFN mate. I can't wait, I've cleared my calendar this afternoon in preparation!!

badshah
17-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I've just made an impulse buy

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=3121332&id=803585354

160, what have I done, the reviews on it are awful in regards to the pants falling apart.

Rob T
17-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I've just made an impulse buy

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=3121332&id=803585354

160, what have I done, the reviews on it are awful in regards to the pants falling apart.

I don't know what gi you've bought because I can't view Facebook in work but you could have had 2 Faixa Rua gis and still got change from 160.

aaronwillis
17-11-2008, 12:40 PM
its a luckygi black one looks quite sweet actually

aaronwillis
17-11-2008, 12:41 PM
http://myspace-314.vo.llnwd.net/01408/41/39/1408339314_l.jpg

wagon
17-11-2008, 12:45 PM
a requisit of getting one of these is you must be awesome at BJJ. If your gash (like me) you'd never pull it off!!

I've seen the Lucky Gi's, one of the boys has a white one. They look the business and the detail is nice. I don't think they are worth the bucks when you can get a Koral MKM or a Keiko for cheaper and they are better IMO.

badshah
17-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Thnaks Aaron, I tried the whole [img ] web add here[/img ] without the spaces, but it never worked.

badshah
17-11-2008, 12:51 PM
a requisit of getting one of these is you must be awesome at BJJ. If your gash (like me) you'd never pull it off!!

I've seen the Lucky Gi's, one of the boys has a white one. They look the business and the detail is nice. I don't think they are worth the bucks when you can get a Koral MKM or a Keiko for cheaper and they are better IMO.

I brought a White Vulkan (Ultra light for comps), but really wanted a black gi, was looking for a local store which might stock the Black Fuji gi, (my brother has it in blue) and couldn't find one (V.Nice Gi BTW, great pants to it also). I then checked out US ebay for any one selling a Black BJJ gi (pref Koral or Vulkan) for cheap, and stumbeled across the Lucky in A2.

Wagon, while I may not be an good BJJ'er, In my mind I'm AWSOME and given time and a whole lot of Thai Oil I'll get my body to perform as I do in my minds eye. So I'll just wear it around the house for now.

And training sessions. The white belt will look real tacky on that gi, maybe put it in storage till I hit Blue or even purps.

Rob T
17-11-2008, 12:57 PM
What is Thai Oil? Some kind of bizarre sexual practice??

The Lucky Gi's look awesome but I don't think I could spend that much on a gi... I don't think the extra expense really buys much.

badshah
17-11-2008, 01:03 PM
What is Thai Oil? Some kind of bizarre sexual practice??

The Lucky Gi's look awesome but I don't think I could spend that much on a gi... I don't think the extra expense really buys much.

Rob, I agree, I really do, It was a moment of weakness. But at least I'll use/wear it more the the 180 suit I brought, which I've worn to liek 2 interveiws (since 2006)

as for Thai Oil, it's the most potent muscle rub known to man. I wear surgical gloves when applying it.

Rummer has it, to make each bottle take one Thai Citizen to be killed in unarmed combat, and thier near death corpse it repeatadly elbowed untill they become a pile of pulp. the oils which seep to the top of this pulp pile, is the infamous THAI OIL

Rob T
17-11-2008, 01:12 PM
As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters! They are lovely gis, for sure.

wagon
17-11-2008, 01:36 PM
they are a nice Gi, I would be divorced if I got another this year though.

My wife can't understand how I train 2 - 3 times a week in a gi and have to have 5 of them!!

Rob T
17-11-2008, 01:42 PM
I have just got my fifth gi. I have;

Atama double-weave,
Keiko Raca ltd ed gold-weave,
Atama Gracie Barra gold-weave,
Vulcan ultralight,
Faixa Rua double-weave.

Josh Palmer
17-11-2008, 01:45 PM
How did you get hold of a black lucky gi? - they're hard to come by. (that's the same one BJ Penn grapples in).

wagon
17-11-2008, 01:52 PM

Atama double-weave, Atama single weave
Keiko Raca ltd ed gold-weave,Check but not Lmt ed
Vulcan ultralight, Koral MKM
Faixa Rua double-weave.

and I have a Black eagle Mundials and an old Judo Gi.

Gareth
17-11-2008, 02:16 PM
either here or on EFN mate. I can't wait, I've cleared my calendar this afternoon in preparation!!

Time for some

http://www.biblelife.org/beef-porterhouse.jpg ??

Sir Tapsalot
17-11-2008, 02:29 PM

Atama double-weave,
Keiko Raca ltd ed gold-weave,
Vulcan ultralight,
Faixa Rua double-weave.

I can beat that :)

Ouano singleweave (did have 2, but sold one recently)
2x Koral
Fuji singleweave
Toraki singleweave (BJJ cut)
Atama singleweave
2x Adidas judo gi (singleweave)
And a Shoyoroll comp pearlweave on it's way in the very near future

Rob T
17-11-2008, 02:32 PM
I can beat that :)

Ouano singleweave (did have 2, but sold one recently)
2x Koral
Fuji singleweave
Toraki singleweave (BJJ cut)
Atama singleweave
2x Adidas judo gi (singleweave)
And a Shoyoroll comp pearlweave on it's way in the very near future

Impressive! :) Someone has to be able to beat 9 though?? I'd love to know how many gis the legendary Briwales has. Probably quite a few!

I think 5 is extravagent myself!! Considering how much they cost... but then that's been over a period of 3 years 9 months (ish) so not too bad I guess.

wagon
17-11-2008, 02:45 PM
I've only been training in a Gi just over a year and had 2 months off from that after an operation so pretty much 10 - 11 months approx of active BJJ training.

Do you think I have an issue? Creely is trying to convince me to get a new black eagle one!!!

TRIBULUS
17-11-2008, 02:50 PM
hmm, i have

1 atama single weave (my comp gi-although not since the missus died it pink)
1 atama double weave (lovely gi but won't pass a gi tester)
1 fighting films double weave (for judo)
1 faixa rua double weave (for pimping)
1 faixa rua gold weave (current training gi)
1 koral (looks 100 years old, can't face putting it on the spare gi rack at the gym)

Even with 6 I can start running low if I'm teaching privates on days off normal training.

However I think Simon may have you beat Sir Taps :)

Rob T
17-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I may retire my Keiko Raca now, it is pretty worn and quite small on me. Could end up being a spare in the academy.

Sir Tapsalot
17-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Impressive! :) Someone has to be able to beat 9 though?? I'd love to know how many gis the legendary Briwales has. Probably quite a few!

I think 5 is extravagent myself!! Considering how much they cost... but then that's been over a period of 3 years 9 months (ish) so not too bad I guess.

My collection's been built over a period of 8 years, so when you look at it like that it's not so bad :D

Just remembered I've got another old judo gi floating around somewhere, so that makes the grand total 10 :D

badshah
17-11-2008, 02:59 PM
How did you get hold of a black lucky gi? - they're hard to come by. (that's the same one BJ Penn grapples in).

That's why I brought it. I saw it on U.S ebay, size A2, and figured just get it, as they're so hard to come by, a few clicks later, I'm 160 quid down. I'll wait till it arrives to feel good about the purchase

Simon Hayes
17-11-2008, 03:02 PM

2x keiko raca
2x gold weave atama
double weave atama
koral
mizuno
2x fighting films master
blitz
3x faixa rua
red nose
ouano
bad boy

Its a sickness...........

Sir Tapsalot
17-11-2008, 03:04 PM

2x keiko raca
2x gold weave atama
double weave atama
koral
mizuno
2x fighting films master
blitz
3x faixa rua
red nose
ouano
bad boy

I thought 10 was bad.... I bow to the master...

wagon
17-11-2008, 03:11 PM

2x keiko raca
2x gold weave atama
double weave atama
koral
mizuno
2x fighting films master
blitz
3x faixa rua
red nose
ouano
bad boy

man, I'd need to build an extension on my house for anymore (or sell one of my kids)

Allan Shrek
17-11-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm bad for Gi's and bad for obscene gi's.

Urban Camo Brazillian Gameness Gold Weave
Blue Gameness Gold weave (comp gi)
Isami Bad Boy Single Wave (was meant to be my comp gi but it went pink thanks to red hand wraps in the same wash)
Element Combat Single Weave
Koral Jacare series camo gi

I'm an idiot and my game is nowhere near pimp enough to pull the camo ones off.

wagon
17-11-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm bad for Gi's and bad for obscene gi's.

Urban Camo Brazillian Gameness Gold Weave
Blue Gameness Gold weave (comp gi)
Isami Bad Boy Single Wave (was meant to be my comp gi but it went pink thanks to red hand wraps in the same wash)
Element Combat Single Weave
Koral Jacare series camo gi

I'm an idiot and my game is nowhere near pimp enough to pull the camo ones off.

I may be mental and just buy a white plain one for xmas - nah fuck it, can you get them with flashing lights and neons in the trouser legs?

jonbroster
18-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi,

Can anyone please explain to me the difference between all the different weaves?
Single weave
Double weave
Silver weave
Gold weave :confused:

I have always worn heavy weight judo gis and noticed a degree of difference among them. The lapels on an Adidas or Mizuno gi are so stiff they feel like they are made of wood.
I know that the IJF decided to do some research about the stiffness of gis, don't know if they got anywhere with it.

Jon

jonbroster
18-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi,

Going back to the Black Eagle vs Faixa Rua thing.
Does anyone have both of these?
How do they compare?

Jon

Rob T
18-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Single weave
Double weave
Silver weave
Gold weave

Generally it works like this;

Single weave - normal, lightweight gi.

Gold/Platinum/Silver/Pearl etc - normally a combination of being harder wearing than a single weave but lighter than a double. Different companies call them different names though, so best to check whenever you're buying.

Double weave - the strongest and heaviest material. Probably no good for competition (unless you're way under the weight limit) but should last a long time so good for training (especially if your gym is cold in the winter!).

david5
18-11-2008, 04:00 PM
i have 2:

dragao double weave
element combat single weave

both are for pretty much ornamental purposes around the house :)

BlackEagle
18-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Hi,

Can anyone please explain to me the difference between all the different weaves?
Single weave
Double weave
Silver weave
Gold weave :confused:

I have always worn heavy weight judo gis and noticed a degree of difference among them. The lapels on an Adidas or Mizuno gi are so stiff they feel like they are made of wood.
I know that the IJF decided to do some research about the stiffness of gis, don't know if they got anywhere with it.

Jon

From a manufacturer's point of view:

Single Weave - A single layer of woven cotton, very similar to a regular light/medium weight Judo Gi. The difference being that the seems and lapels etc are still re-enforced to ensure the Gi will stand up to the rigours of competition, and of course training. Single weave is often favoured by fighters so they can maximise their body weight, and not worry about the Gi tipping them over the weight limit.

Gold Weave (Pearl, Silver etc) - This is a special weave, designed to offer greater strength in the fabric of the Gi jacket. It is more similar to a 'heavier' medium weight Judo Gi, so than a single weave. It tends to be slightly stiffer as a result of the weave, so 'hangs' better etc.

Double Weave - Weights vary, anything from a 950 gram to over a 1000 gram weight fabric, double woven like a proper champion Judo Gi. Super strong, super stiff collars etc, as mentioned, if you are close to your weight limit, probably not something you'd wear in competition. An excellent winter gi, and also a good training gi, as if you can work with the weight of it in training, the theory is you'll move quicker and slicker in competition when you wear the lighter gis.

I use the Judo analogy purely to illustrate the similarity. BJJ Gis are of course, cut differently to Judo.

Shrinkage is also markedly different between the different types. The lighter ones shrinking less than the heavier ones. This is purely because less material is used in the single weave and more in the Gold/Double.

Gold, Silver, Pearl, Platinum and other similar type weaves are basically the same. Some manufacturers will just use a different texture fabric and pattern to set their product apart, but essentially they are the same.

Hopefully not too long winded, and hope it helps you to understand the differences.

J-Sho
18-11-2008, 06:03 PM

2x keiko raca
2x gold weave atama
double weave atama
koral
mizuno
2x fighting films master
blitz
3x faixa rua
red nose
ouano
bad boy

what's the cure tho?

Duchman
18-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I have one judo gi.....

Creely
18-11-2008, 09:27 PM
x1 koral mkm

x2 keiko raca one light weight one gold weave

x1 atama

x1 mma gear

x1 black eagle

theLUKE
23-11-2008, 07:02 PM
If any of you guys want to see a review of a Faixa Rua gi, check my blog.. (may be down for a couple of days soon due to domain name changes, but yeah)

FlameBoy
23-11-2008, 07:58 PM
nice writ up - thanks for the info