PDA

View Full Version : under hooks

marvli
09-05-2003, 01:36 PM
hi, UNDERHOOKS
I only seem to find these workable on someone my height or smaller. Don't really see the benefit of getting double under hooks when standing against someone taller than myself. What do you recon'? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

marv

Hywel Teague
09-05-2003, 01:55 PM
no its hard to do it properly on someone taller than you- the best thing to do is if you have front body lock (double underhook closedgrip at the back) then because their armpit is higher you should be able to get your shoulder under and take the back.

Rob Hannis
09-05-2003, 02:04 PM
If you get the single underhook then try taking a grip on their shoulder. If you can grip either their head or their other wrist you can control them quite well. I like the shoulder grip with the head controlled as it means you can control them nicely and knee to the face (obviously not in wrestling but in mma). If you've got a cage/wall to push them against then you can just use the double underhook position to ready yourself for a double/single leg.

Also on taller people I like to use a clinch on the side of their body (pull them in tight, lock your hips and clamp your thighs around their leg), you can then pretty much take them down at will with a trip or move around the back as dr oct suggested.

marvli
12-05-2003, 08:28 AM
thanks for the tips, I was trying to get the double underhooks then grabbing the shoulders to secure the grip, on tall people aswell, my mistake.

Lhn
12-05-2003, 10:45 AM
get your double underhooks, pull them in (low across the back) et viola you have your take down almost anyway you want.

widge milward
13-05-2003, 02:05 PM
take double underhooks on taller guys? do it put then drop for a sweet ankle pick

Chris Kerr
14-05-2003, 02:07 PM
I love underhooks!
Basically, what I would do in your position is to get the bodylock Doc Oc suggests, then while he is worrying about getting HIS underhooks or being suplayed, just snap him into you and drop for a beautiful double leg...trust me it is far easier than 'shooting' in for the double, as you are definately in range, giving him little chance to sprawl. Just remember to turn the corner when you are double legging him.

marvli
14-05-2003, 02:27 PM
cheers :chinese:

Neil_Allen
26-05-2003, 07:00 PM
Get the under hooks then take a step round to your right swinging your arms, the right one up and the left one down. As you make this movement and step round your left hand goes for an ankle pick as suggested then drive them forward with the stepping forward and force of the right arm.

Or use the same movement to move to the back and secure a lock around the body, get your hips lower than theirs and pick them up to easily throw them down forwards. Or if your crazy try powerbombing over your head. :D