PDA

View Full Version : Golden Belt Hardcore (tm)

lee kru
17-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Guys we attended the first ever event in Kirkby, Merseyside last night and it was a very interesting event. the owner of Golden Belt has trademarked the concept i believe prior to it being exposed to the public last night, what else can i say except 'what a concept'!

Basically GBH is based on 5 rounds chosen at random from the hat consisting of-

BOXING, FULL CONTACT KARATE, INTERNATIONAL LOW KICK KICKBOXING, MUAY THAI and MMA.

The fighters then compete at each of the randomly chosen disciplines to really test their Mixed Martial Arts abilities.

My boy Joey Brincat fought for an Amateur World GBH Title at 58kg v Brian Crighton form Kirby for a GBH (Amateur rules = 5x2 mins, headguard, shin guards, no elbows to head, no g&p, no heel hooks or knee bars). It was WAR.
Hopefully the fights will be up on P4TV this week. Joey lost on points in this his very first tatse of MMA but really gave the powerhouse Crighton some trouble.

Matt Sheedy from my gym won a European Professional Full rules Thai Boxing Title by 2nd rd stoppage of Matty Smith folowing an elbow to the eye which caused the eyeball of Smith to bleed. A nasty injury that i hope Matty Smith recovers from.

Thanks go to Lewis Long for his help with the MMA training.

I will be putting some GBH Pro rules and Amateur rules fights on the bill for my next show (date and venue to be confirmed) which should be late summer or Early Autumn, depending on committments of my 'A' class Muay Thai Team. if you want to be considered for matching at these rules please either pm, email or call me, contact details on my website.

Anybody generally interested in Golden Belt Hardcore - whether competing, training, promoting etc please PM me as i am the Welsh Rep and can assist.
We will also be holding GBH Training sessions on a weekly basis for those who are interested.

Lee

Nak-Muay
17-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I'd like to give it ago if Kev agrees... are elbows allowed (in non amateur version of hardcore title)

lee kru
17-05-2009, 10:53 PM
In the amateur version elbow to body only on ground and standing (mma/thai discipline)

In pro GBH elbow to head and body allowed in MMA/THAI disciplines.

lee kru
17-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Check Out Golden Belt Hardcore Website For More Information

MMAlien
18-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Sounds mental!

taxiboy
19-05-2009, 01:56 PM
WoW Sounds Awesome !!

lee kru
19-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Lol,
119 views and only Nak Muay put his name forward to compete at these rules.

The fights should be on p4tv this week so people can judge for themselves.

This is true Mixed Martial arts, test to see who has the training skill and discipline to compete at all 5 Full Contact arts.

iandean
19-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I can see the headlines now

Brutal GBH fighting taking place at Noname Sport Centre

People taking place in 5 bruital martial arts using savage moves in this GBH style of fighting

DetoxGuru.com
19-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I like the way its trademarked like someone would actually try and steal the idea, fair play to you if you can pull it off , I just see this being a total farce myself, and your refs are gonna have to be the best in the business, when is a muay thai kick not a kickboxing kick , cant see it working at all.

What if someone who is supposede to be kickboxing uses a muay thai kick are you gonna stop the fight.

dunny
19-05-2009, 04:39 PM
im not so sure the kicks are the difference, i think throws and elbows are the difference

Nak-Muay
19-05-2009, 04:48 PM
What if someone who is supposede to be kickboxing uses a muay thai kick are you gonna stop the fight.

Have you ever watched Muaythai or Kickboxing...? They are totally different sports and there is nothing to stop a muaythai kick being thrown in kickboxing or vice verse... they are allowed in both.

Kickboxing is kicks and punches above waist (low kick is leg kicks as well). Sweeps are allowed.

Muaythai is kicks and punches to face, body or legs. Knees are ALWAYS and elbows often allowed to body (pro can be to head). Unlimited Clinch is allowed in Muaythai and certain take downs... also you are allowed to catch kicks (in kickboxing you are not).

The biggest difference between kickboxing and Muaythai is the Clinch, knees and catching of kicks.

Nak-Muay
19-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Lol,
119 views and only Nak Muay put his name forward to compete at these rules.

The fights should be on p4tv this week so people can judge for themselves.

This is true Mixed Martial arts, test to see who has the training skill and discipline to compete at all 5 Full Contact arts.

To be fair I am up for anything ;)

Nak-Muay
19-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Here is my take on the rules...

MMA is good HOWEVER I find MMA is a competition for who has the most dominant style. I.e. an amazing wrestler (GSP) and amazing striker (Anderson Silva) and amazing BJJ guy (BJ Penn) or a strong guy (Lesnar)... yes they do all cross train, BUT they can choose to use their primary style to ride out the fight if they like.

This 'Hardcore' concept is looking for a fighter who is the best across all styles and is forced to prove it in each. Not having '1' dominant style and a number of weaker, but good styles. These rules will find someone who will win 3 out of 5 rounds across Karate, Boxing, Muaythai, MMA and Low Kick... So you are testing
1. Someones Wrestling and BJJ (MMA)
2. Someones Hands (Boxing)
3. Someones Kicks (Low Kick)
4. Someones Clinch & Knees (Thai)
5. I am guessing on range and defense / counter skills (Karate)

I like the idea, I can see why people are whining, because it is new and not the 'norm' but I think it's a good thing. I'm not sure how people can say it's shit and that before they have actually viewed an event though...

In saying that I do that to cricket and baseball all the time :D

lee kru
19-05-2009, 08:04 PM
The real test as Marc puts it is over all the disciplines. The referees i saw were all top refs, Ronnie Green (The Muay Thai legend) and D
This is true Mixed Martial arts i dont know how anybody can say different.
It allows an athlete to add a new weapon to their armoury at each stage and also be versatile in their styles as the discipline order is pulled out of teh hat at the start of the fight, all the standup rounds were in Boxing Gloves until the MMA when MMA gloves were changed over

dunny
19-05-2009, 08:11 PM
so do you fight an individual discipline on the night, or fight all 5 disciplines?

lee kru
19-05-2009, 08:21 PM
The concept is such that the athlete has to adapt to change, the fight does not favour one particular style although i will say that although the most part of the fight is stand up, which most MMA fans love the most anyway.

If you look at any top promotion at MMA, if there is too long on the ground or in the clinch the crowd are booing.
I for one love the grappling, BJJ and wrestling element of MMA and attempt to understand it (although i am no expert)
However the fans love the striking the most, MMA has become popular because of ground and pound and the danger factor with submissions, throws, chokes and strikes thrown together - put into a cage to allow the audience to view what they see as a Dogfight or Cockfight.
I think that GBH would not be viewed any different as shows named 'bad blood', Hostile Intentions', 'Cagefight' or similar.
There is not a massive world wide TV audience for many Judo, Ju jitsu or real Olympic Wrestling shows. But MMA and Boxing are the main combat arts viewed by millions throught the World.

I didnt invent Golden Belt Hardcore i was asked by a friend to provide fighters for an event, which i did. The concept was explained to me some months back and i loved it, i was asked to become a rep and promote it and i had my reservations. After seeing it for myself and having my fighters on the very first event i actually now want to train all my fighters over the 5 disciplines instead of purely Muay Thai.
It may not be for all but it is coming and IMO will take the MMA world by storm.

lee kru
19-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Dunny the 5 disciplines are fought on the night. Amateuer allows head strikes (with a headguard or rugby cap and shin pads) on standup only and basically is 5 x 2 minutes round at each of the disciplines chosen at random from the hat before the fight starts.

Pro is without a headguard or padding and allows G and P, Full rules Thai with Elbows and Knees to head and body together with Elbows on the ground. All standard MMA take downs locks, holds, rules are allowed in the MMA round.
There is a 1 minute break between rounds for Amateuer and 1.5 for Pro with an allowance for the change over from MMA to Boing gloves or Vice Versa.

dunny
19-05-2009, 08:28 PM
i like the idea, im just trying to understand the specifics a bit more

dunny
19-05-2009, 08:32 PM
so lets say a bout goes all 5 rounds, once a style has been drawn out of the hat, can it go back in or not? so maybe you could get a fight that goes mma, thai, mma, boxing, boxing? or can it not go back in, so as long as the fight goes all the way, you see all 5 disciplines, just maybe in different order? i genuinely like the idea as a fan of all the individual sports, but i think it will be confusing for most people to watch. i reckon only about 20% of the people at my kickboxing shows actually understand what they are watching

lee kru
19-05-2009, 08:39 PM
A good experienced ref is able to sort out the rules, Dave Faulkner reffed my lads fight and did a good job, giving warnings in the FC round for lowkicks and also in the Boxing round for excessive clinching.

There are standardised rules published for all of the disciplines with loads of different orgs with subtle differences. Baically scored along the following very brioef principles.
There is no way real Muay Thai (Thailand type )scoring can be aplied to the 1 round, however scoring for effect, accuracy , power, control of clinch, Takedowns knee use of more diffciult techniques (ie knees over punches) will all score higher,
Kick boxing above waist minium of 6 good kicks thrown by each boxer or 1 pt deducted again accuracy and effect scores over brawling (unless very effective)
Low kicks scored much the same as thai without clinch and knee- combined effect, power and accuracy.
Boxing scored as per normal boxing again effect, movement and accuracy scores over leather thrown unless it is obviously the aggressors fight (hiot and not get hit)
MMA usual rules for Pro elbnows allowed with some limitations on heel hooks and leg bars in Amatuer - head shots allowed both AM and PRO

lee kru
19-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Once drawn that is it the fight order is announced, a good MC makes a spectacle of the draw and informs the crowd what is happening at the end and start of each round.

lee kru
19-05-2009, 08:44 PM
so the discipline can not go back in the hat

my lad drew Low Kick, Full contact, Muay Thai, Boxing and MMA whch suited us down to the ground, however if the draw had been Boxing, MMA, Full Contact, Low Kick then Thai then the fight would have beenm a little different.

Its the luck of the draw

dunny
19-05-2009, 08:44 PM
posted too quick, thanks