PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Guard

Neil_Allen
13-05-2003, 09:07 PM
I have no idea how to use it, what it's for and basically I have only seen some fighters pull on their own leg and thats it.

How is it used?

Hywel Teague
14-05-2003, 12:42 AM
i use it quite a bit recently- it took me ages of experimenting before I started pulling it off but its cool.

basically, if you have closed guard, uncross your legs, and take one by the ankle, pulling it in tight as you can and high across their back/shoulders. its a great position to catch an omoplata off of, but more often than not they will pull out the other arm cause they think they're not i danger leaving you to attack with triangles.

play with it.

Godders
14-05-2003, 01:14 AM
I do this quite alot atch. Especialy when i go to triangle.

Its a good way to secure the high guard as well as you repos yourself.

Another funky thing i stole off Maccavelli :p

Greens
14-05-2003, 09:50 PM
Did someone say gogopolata :D

Neil_Allen
14-05-2003, 10:22 PM
I was using my guard against Shaun and kept pulling my leg high in the rubber guard style. He didn't really know what I was doing and it does restrict arm movement so it's quite a safe position.

I thought of the omoplata but didn't think about the gogoplata, there are easier ways though like from under north/south.

So basically it's just used as an alternative and easy way of climbing your guard high for submissions.

Cool, thanks

Hywel Teague
16-05-2003, 12:10 AM
wtf is gogogplata? someone want to explin for me?

Godders
16-05-2003, 12:35 AM
They are in your guard and you choke them with your shin.

Your on your back your left foot comes up to your head, you put it under their neck. You then grab it with your right hand, your left hand goes over their head and grabs your own foot.

Ive not tried it personaly, but, its deffo a idea for next time bwahaha

I may need surgery

Lhn
18-05-2003, 01:20 PM
"I have no idea how to use it, what it's for and basically"

Better to get shown it neil, just ask Alex

Neil_Allen
18-05-2003, 09:44 PM
It's quite modern and used mainly for Vale Tudo right? Alex isn't sure about it himself but he is going back to Brazil this year to train with loads of great guys and I'm sure he will come back updated with all the latest techniques and stuff.

Hywel Teague
19-05-2003, 10:18 AM
They are in your guard and you choke them with your shin.

ah i know what it is now... never knew it was called gogoplata. pulled this off once or twice, its a real cunt for those being tapped out, especially if you're wearing wrestling boots :D

top move :)

Lhn
19-05-2003, 10:33 AM
"They are in your guard and you choke them with your shin."

That works does it???? I laugh when people try it on me, thanks for letting us pass your guard :D guess they must of been doing it wrong if you guys think its a good move

Hywel Teague
19-05-2003, 11:03 AM
yeah Long, the trick is to bring the leg over the arm like an omoplata but not scooting your hips out. by keeping the arm trapped, they can't pass your guard, then stick yer fott/shin under their chin and hey presto. works for me anyway :)

Maccavelli
19-05-2003, 11:50 AM
I did it once then had to spend 6 months in a full body cast

Godders
19-05-2003, 01:54 PM
Counter... Bend their ankle :p

Neil_Allen
19-05-2003, 07:11 PM
I only know it as a good escape from north/south position otherwise I always prefer position over submission. Kind of boring but my instructor is a traditional BJJ guy, we believe gaining the mount is the best/worst thing that can happen and never give away position.

This is why we don't go for many leg/ankle submissions because you drop back giving your opponent to many options for escape or their own subs. If you got the position to go for a leg sub then normally you can get a better position as an alternative.

Back on the subject, it fucking hurts if your foot gets stuck and all your toes get bent up!

widge milward
03-06-2003, 11:35 AM
i love the rubber guard, its the shit!!! awesome for MMA to stop the GnP,

if you can look for the "london" setup eddie B has invented....

its cool as hell

Hywel Teague
03-06-2003, 11:43 AM
i had a look at that london guard setup but couldn't figure it out. looks a bit complicated, but then i thought that about rubber guard when i first saw it!