PDA

View Full Version : Best Muay Thai club in London?

123 MMA
10-10-2009, 01:30 AM
What do you think is the best club or who is the best instructor in London? Also, where did James McSweeney train his Muay Thai as I read he trained in London.

darthcrab
10-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Semtex.. not really "london" but swanley, 5 min walk from station.. Kieran Keddle, awesome fighter, awesome trainer.. really nice guy, big steve, great guy.. they have some really good fighters and they are open all day. till late

mmadan
10-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Attila Varga at Carlson Gracie in Hammersmith is a very good muay thai coach.

dallow
10-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Dave Noble at the Ultimate Fitness Centre / Bloodline Team in Tottenham.

idzikowski
10-10-2009, 12:13 PM
http://www.ko-muaythai.com/

123 MMA
10-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Is their any world class Muay Thai pro's in London?

darthcrab
10-10-2009, 02:52 PM

kieran keddle

bt beast
10-10-2009, 02:54 PM
minotaurs in burnt oak have some top coaches and fighters

thaison
10-10-2009, 04:33 PM
keddles is where i would train

Malcontent
10-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Attila Varga at Carlson Gracie in Hammersmith is a very good muay thai coach.

Yeah and he's a really nice bloke too.

He also does privates for 30 an hour which is pretty reasonable for london IMO.

RichH1
10-10-2009, 06:35 PM
loads in london, minotaurs, keddles, semtex, raptors, london muay thai academy, symonds muay thai, and im sure there's more im forgetting

gorillaacademy
10-10-2009, 07:09 PM
McSweeney trains at Keddles in Orpington

123 MMA
10-10-2009, 08:04 PM
McSweeney trains at Keddles in Orpington

McSweeney isnt under the list on the site, maybe he doesnt train there anymore.

123 MMA
10-10-2009, 08:06 PM
He may live in America permantly now.

gorillaacademy
10-10-2009, 08:38 PM
James was here (keddles) about 3 weeks ago. He does train in the states also with Jackson MMA where he is right now. The website is currently being updated hence why he is not on the list

Jam Roll
10-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Peacocks or ko

123 MMA
10-10-2009, 10:20 PM
When McSweeney is in London why doesnt he train at LS? Ego because Mus destroyed him? He would improve a lot training there.

AndrewC
11-10-2009, 09:30 AM

Dave Pacquette at KO Gym.

KO Gym is by far the best Muay Thai camp actually in London. They have a big stable of fighters and three full time gyms.

123 MMA
11-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Dave Pacquette at KO Gym.

KO Gym is by far the best Muay Thai camp actually in London. They have a big stable of fighters and three full time gyms.

Are all 3 gyms in London?

Yak
12-10-2009, 07:52 AM
you forgot to add Diesel Gym to that list... ;-)

also no mention of Scorpions ? home to Michael and Steven Wakeling - 2 of the best pros in this country and their dad Mark...a great coach

plus Krishana, Elephant Gym, East London Muay Thai, Gymbox Team Tieu, Safari etc etc - to be fair there are a whole host of great teachers all over - could probably fill a page with the amount of clubs that are about...

there are lots of good thai camps all over London..... and surrounding areas ... of course there is no 'best; camp as every instructor and their students will say the name of the gym they attend - its about getting the best out of the student

bear in mind that there are a lot of good standup coaches who dont/can;t teach Muay Thai - the rules/scoring are different to that of K1 and Kickboxing - something which a lot of people dont understand - equally a great muay thai coach has to understand some basics of MMA to be able to cross teach striking for MMA...so really you need to work out what you want before picking a club...

AndrewC
12-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Are all 3 gyms in London?

Yep; one is in Bethnal Green; one in Clapton (KO Bloodline) and i believe the other is South London.

AndrewC
12-10-2009, 09:11 AM
you forgot to add Diesel Gym to that list... ;-)

also no mention of Scorpions ? home to Michael and Steven Wakeling - 2 of the best pros in this country and their dad Mark...a great coach

plus Krishana, Elephant Gym, East London Muay Thai, Gymbox Team Tieu, Safari etc etc - to be fair there are a whole host of great teachers all over - could probably fill a page with the amount of clubs that are about...

there are lots of good thai camps all over London..... and surrounding areas ... of course there is no 'best; camp as every instructor and their students will say the name of the gym they attend - its about getting the best out of the student

bear in mind that there are a lot of good standup coaches who dont/can;t teach Muay Thai - the rules/scoring are different to that of K1 and Kickboxing - something which a lot of people dont understand - equally a great muay thai coach has to understand some basics of MMA to be able to cross teach striking for MMA...so really you need to work out what you want before picking a club...

Wakelings are in Beckenham; which is Kent! Scorpions is a fantastic gym; just not in London

KO has by far the highest number of active fighters (A, B & C class) and the longest pedigree by far. So in that respect KO are the 'best Muay Thai gym in London'. I doubt many people in the Muay Thai community would dispute that!

This is not knocking the other gyms and fighters; just answering the OP question.

Yak
12-10-2009, 09:20 AM
keddles are in kent, minatours in hertfordshire - and depending on where you are in london some other london clubs are further away than those not in

from an hours drive from central london Scorpions is just as close as Keddles really..s east london/kent all pretty much the same thing.... point being without knowing where in London the OP is dont exclude some of the best gyms in the country purely on the county name being Kent...

im not getting involved in any sort of petty slanging match on the internet

I will stand by my comments that there are many good gyms in London and surrounding aea - many with good fighters and coaches - being part of a gym that isnt a KO gym, I am of course going to dispute the 'KO is best' line lol -

Bateman
12-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Not sure if Eltham Thai Warriors are still going, I remeber Mark Epstein trained there.

Alan Keddles is probably number 1 in the area, great trainers and a top facility. 5 mins from me

Yak
12-10-2009, 09:26 AM
think Warriors now run from Kent - i.e further out.... as they put fighters out on Ringmasters last year so its running in some form - just dont think in Eltham

AndrewC
12-10-2009, 10:00 AM
keddles are in kent, minatours in hertfordshire - and depending on where you are in london some other london clubs are further away than those not in

from an hours drive from central london Scorpions is just as close as Keddles really..s east london/kent all pretty much the same thing.... point being without knowing where in London the OP is dont exclude some of the best gyms in the country purely on the county name being Kent...

im not getting involved in any sort of petty slanging match on the internet

I will stand by my comments that there are many good gyms in London and surrounding aea - many with good fighters and coaches - being part of a gym that isnt a KO gym, I am of course going to dispute the 'KO is best' line lol -

fair enough; I'm not disputing the points you raised!

Keddles and Scorpions are both very good gyms; who always turn our very well schooled fighters!

blanker
12-10-2009, 10:17 AM
as you can see theres loads

Yak
12-10-2009, 10:19 AM
as much as Id love peeps to come to Diesel - just to get people involved in the sport at another Muay Thai club is cool with me, and most of the gyms mentioned turn out decent , well schooled fighters - so being in London the OP is really spoilt for choice...

Bateman
12-10-2009, 12:06 PM
think Warriors now run from Kent - i.e further out.... as they put fighters out on Ringmasters last year so its running in some form - just dont think in Eltham

They used to use the same club as Eltham ABA , the football club that owned the building went under hence Eltham ABA having to move homes.

I also hear a rumour that Elite are also being moved from Eltham ?

IjumpGuard
12-10-2009, 12:32 PM
I here scoripions is ment to be really good in beckenham, never been there tho, looking to visit soon tho as i live pretty close. any one been there?

Yak
12-10-2009, 01:08 PM
mark is a great teacher, as are both his boys, Michael and Steve 2 of the best this country has produced - need add no more - just go... if you live that close its almost scandalous to have not been if you have an interest in Muay Thai

IjumpGuard
12-10-2009, 01:19 PM
mark is a great teacher, as are both his boys, Michael and Steve 2 of the best this country has produced - need add no more - just go... if you live that close its almost scandalous to have not been if you have an interest in Muay Thai

thanks for the advice mate, will make a visit soon i guess then!

Justin
26-01-2010, 12:23 PM
I would think from an MMA fighters point of view the best place to train Thai would be Keddles because as well as turning out top Thai fighters for Thai rules the trainers there are also training some top MMA fighters, Alan also holds a pro boxing license

undercard
26-01-2010, 02:45 PM
If you want to train thai, Keddles is definately the best gym to do this.
It has one of, if not THE, best reps in the UK. Its full time, has over 10 trainers including thai's, great sparring sessions and turns out plently of well trained fighters at all levels.
Many pro fighters including two world champions in Rob Storey and Bernise Alldis train here.

Keddles pro MMA fight team includes: Tom Kong Watson, Jude Samuel, James McSweeney, Scott Jansen and Jimi Manuwa

Babyface Assassin
18-12-2011, 02:44 PM
If you want to train thai, Keddles is definately the best gym to do this.
It has one of, if not THE, best reps in the UK. Its full time, has over 10 trainers including thai's, great sparring sessions and turns out plently of well trained fighters at all levels.
Many pro fighters including two world champions in Rob Storey and Bernise Alldis train here.

Keddles pro MMA fight team includes: Tom Kong Watson, Jude Samuel, James McSweeney, Scott Jansen and Jimi Manuwa

I agree with Yak, that you are spoilt for choice.....however looking at reputation The KO Gyms have currently 8 top 10 male fighters in the uk and 7 top 5 female fighters....The main gym in bethnal green has 4 world champions under one roof and a constantly growing amount of B and C class fighters.... Keddle's is also one of the best gyms if your looking at the ukmtf rankings in terms of producing some good talent. Diesel and KO have a well known eastend rivalry, but KO have recently added their 38th world champion to the ever growing list that the head coach Bill Judd has produced over the years.

I don't want to turn this into a 'my gym is better than yours' as there are way too many good ones to mention in one post! My advice is look at the UKMTF rankings to see who has the best fighters....Bad company in Leeds stand out the most i have to say!

Babyface Assassin
20-12-2011, 06:36 PM
fair enough; I'm not disputing the points you raised!

Keddles and Scorpions are both very good gyms; who always turn our very well schooled fighters!

Talking about Scorpions, a couple of friends of mine from KO went there and tried out a class, from what I heard its not all that....Simply for the fact that they said the wakelings don't train there they train somewhere else....Apparently they just leave you to get on with it. My friend from KO said he actually taught the lesson at one point.