PDA

View Full Version : Iska?

ReD_mIst
10-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Just wanted to make some comments about ISKA MMA.

Fight Ikon will be running under their governenance and it is the first show I have really been exposed to under such governance. I have to say, after reviewing their rules and policies... they are MILES ahead of establishing a genuine professional governance of UK MMA than anyone else

They are also running Judges and refrees courses for ISKA MMA, which will help establish some standards in these areas too.

I have heard negative things before, but isn't this the potential path of least resistance for governance and profession credibility?

darthcrab
10-10-2009, 07:49 PM
sounds promising.

I think there will be allot of people watching the outcome of how the show runs under this..

but that said, Fight Ikon have asked for their show to be governed, and I really dont see any other show doing such.. unless they have too, I think uk will always be crap

mickclark
11-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Read a article on this is FIGHTERS magazine, sounds very promising.

boxingbrit
11-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out:)

Shaolin Exile
11-10-2009, 05:17 PM
These people have been around for years. I remember seeing some of their kickboxing shows on TV about 10 years ago and they had been around a long time then. They probably have friends in high places already, so why not let them take the lead?

jasmos
12-10-2009, 01:02 PM
ISKA appointed Lee Hasdell head of their MMA division a while ago, they are also involved with Strikeforce over the pond

it seems a couple of the kickboxing orgs are getting involved in sanctioning, think i read somewhere that WAKO are doing events too

ReD_mIst
12-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Yes, Lee Hasdell was one of the ref's last night, as was Mark Woodard.

IFS.NI
12-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Guys,

I am only back from the Fight Ikon show, we had Stephen Owens from IFS in Northern Ireland fighting Mark Stockton from Slaford Muay Thai and MMA. Stephen won by rear naked choke but hats off to Mark he is one tough fighter and also a great lad! We look forward to seeing him again in our show this year!

I am also the Promoter of Clan Wars MMA event from Ireland. We held the first Irish ISKA MMA show in August and had the article about it in Fighters magazine in this months edition. Heres the same article only on the ISKA website -

http://www.iska.org.uk/news/article/irelands_first_fully_sanctioned_iska_mma_event/

We understand that guys may be a bit worried about fighting or getting involved with the ISKA shows and thats cool , as a promoter i wanted to try and get a world recognised body that wanted to promote MMA to the professional level it deserves and by bringing in a governace seemed the logical and best way to do it, Ireland and the UK are miles behind the USA and still get that stereotype from people and media who are uneducated in what really happens in the sport. With proper backing and safety standards in place this can only be a good thing for UK and Irish fighters in my opinion to progress, have new doors open for fighters and yet continue to promote MMA in a quality manor that it deserves.

As for the FIGHT IKON SHOW -

The show was fantastic with alot of hard work put in by Darren Sherlock and the lads from Salford Muay Thai/MMA to bring a more professional light to MMA events. The show was very well run and had some excellent guys helping with it also from Lee Hasdell, Marc Woodard and Sandy Holt to name a few.

Comming from Ireland we did not expect to recieve a warm welcome from the fighters or spectators but to our surprise we were treated very well, the fighters we meet were first class and friendly. The spectators also where respectful also even though we were fighting a local lad.

Hats off to Darren and his team, we througherly enjoyed the event and hope to return in future!

Great Job!

Cheers,

Paul

www.clanwarspromotions.com
www.ifsni.com

iandean
12-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Guys,

I am only back from the Fight Ikon show, we had Stephen Owens from IFS in Northern Ireland fighting Mark Stockton from Slaford Muay Thai and MMA. Stephen won by rear naked choke but hats off to Mark he is one tough fighter and also a great lad! We look forward to seeing him again in our show this year!

I am also the Promoter of Clan Wars MMA event from Ireland. We held the first Irish ISKA MMA show in August and had the article about it in Fighters magazine in this months edition. Heres the same article only on the ISKA website - http://www.iska.org.uk/news/article/irelands_first_fully_sanctioned_iska_mma_event/

We understand that guys may be a bit worried about fighting or getting involved with the ISKA shows and thats cool , as a promoter i wanted to try and get a world recognised body that wanted to promote MMA to the professional level it deserves and by bringing in a governance seemed the logical and best way to do it, Ireland and the UK are miles behind the USA and still get that sterotype from people and media who are uneducated in what really happens in the sport. With proper backing and safety standards in place this can only be a good thing for UK and Irish fighters in my opinion to progress, have new doors open for fighters and yet continue to promote MMA in a quality manor that it deserves.

As for the FIGHT IKON SHOW -

The show was fantastic with alot of hard work put in by Darren Sherlock and the lads from Salford Muay Thai/MMA to bring a more professional light to MMA events. The show was very well run and had some excellent guys helping with it also from Lee Hasdell, Marc Woodard and Sandy Holt to name a few.

Comming from Ireland we did not expect to recieve a warm welcome from the fighters or spectators but to our surprise we were treated very well, the fighters we meet were first class and friendly. The spectators also where respectful also even though we were fighting a local lad.

Hats off to Darren and his team, we througherly enjoyed the event and hope to return in future!

Great Job!

Cheers,

Paul

www.clanwarspromotions.com
www.ifsni.com

Out of interest are the results of your event databased ?

IFS.NI
12-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Out of interest are the results of your event databased ?

Hi Ian,

The first show was an amateur event mate and we have the records of the results although i know there are a guys now in Ireland working on a proper data base for Irish fighters at the minute to bring in a working system for records.

iandean
12-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi Ian,

The first show was an amateur event mate and we have the records of the results although i know there are a guys now in Ireland working on a proper data base for Irish fighters at the minute to bring in a working system for records.

Ok, without sounding picky.

Shouldn't the governing body release the results of that event and send them to the relevant database sites? Like proper Governing Body's do in the USA?

IFS.NI
12-10-2009, 09:18 PM
As far as I am aware this is all getting sorted mate although the ISKA MMA was mainly in the USA until now so I guess it will take a bit of time to get everything totally ironed out for the UK and Ireland. What they have done so far in my opinion has been positive for the future development and progression of the sport.

iandean
12-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I hope so, and i am all for regulation and i even had a Matchmakers license in the State of Florida last year and have worked on events which have been under the watchful eye of the Florida Boxing Commission (CW USA) and the International Mix Fight Association (M-1) in the past.

But right now i would have a hard time recognising what is essentially a kickboxing promotion/organisation as a legitimate and independent UK MMA Governing Body. Especially when people within that organisation have links to existing promotions and/or actively manage fighters.

IFS.NI
12-10-2009, 11:05 PM
I hope so, and i am all for regulation and i even had a Matchmakers license in the State of Florida last year and have worked on events which have been under the watchful eye of the Florida Boxing Commission (CW USA) and the International Mix Fight Association (M-1) in the past.

But right now i would have a hard time recognising what is essentially a kickboxing promotion/organisation as a legitimate and independent UK MMA Governing Body. Especially when people within that organisation have links to existing promotions and/or actively manage fighters.

Thats cool Ian everyone has their own thoughts and views on things, its good to see issues can be discussed openly on this board without any flaming and in a civalised manor.

How I look at it is, the ISKA already sanction big MMA shows in the USA such as Strikeforce which is an excellent show, coupled with the experience gained in their K1,Muay Thai shows etc over the past decades they have a very good understanding on how things should work from a professional and quality point of view. As far as I am aware the ISKA also represent a contact point and referral point for the UFC regarding fighters for the UK shows which in my opinion again shows the high quality support and guidance the ISKA operate at wether its kickboxing, Muay Thai or MMA.

I also personally feel they have addressed the bridging gap between kick boxing and MMA by getting experienced MMA veterans such as Lee Hasdell to work on promoting the sport. They have taken a step that many did not want to take and are trying to make it work for the progression of the sport. MMA is still in its infancy so I guess it needs to start somewhere and with the past experience of the ISKA and the path they have taken to represent MMA i feel is a step in the right direction and has so far worked very well.

I can not speak for other promotions in England but every club in Ireland i have tried to contact regarding the events to keep them fair and make sure everyone has the chance to be put forward for fight cards - the fighters and clubs who come foward are put in a pool and then matched as fairly as we can for the events, the ones who do not thats cool also - we respect everyone has different views on things and continue to support the other local shows.

As a club and promotion we like to avoid MMA politics - we just want to promote the sport in a professional manor the best we can keeping it open for everyone if they want to fight under the sanctioning and hopefully help catch up with the rest of the world regarding full progression of the sport.

Here in Ireland there is an abundance of talent and with the ISKA i hope it will help open doors and show case their talents in the UK, EUROPE and further!

Just my 2 cents worth mate

iandean
12-10-2009, 11:11 PM
It's always nice to engage in constructive and intelligent debate about MMA, without people threatening to shoot each other, "end" each other or start talking about putting people in car boots.

However i have a few points

The ISKA technically do not fully sanction Strikeforce events. As any events in the State of California will be overseen and sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission. But i beileve Sf events use ISKA MMA rules.

But a promoter can apply for special dispensation to use certain rule changes as long as they do not clash with the rules of the State Athletic Commission. i.e. A good example of this was Pride doing USA shows with no elbows. But could not use soccer kicks as they were banned by the CSAC.

When M-1 Global went to Kansas; it was the Kansas Boxing Commission who sanctioned the event. However the show was run under the rules of the IMA (who are the body that normally oversees M-1 Global events.) i.e. that showed used the weights and regulations of IMA, but only because they got special dispensation to do that and that they did not clash with the KBC rules.

iandean
12-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Also i found this interesting

As far as I am aware the ISKA also represent a contact point and referral point for the UFC regarding fighters for the UK shows which in my opinion again shows the high quality support and guidance the ISKA operate at wether its kickboxing, Muay Thai or MMA.

This again questions their neutrality

As a legitimate, independent Governing Body should not do that.

It shouldn't recommend fighters to events like the UFC (and then of course no doubt manage/represent those fighters. Which i beileve Paul Hennessey of the ISKA currently does.

And of course the ISKA is not the only group that can get people in the UFC, and of course it would be unfair to say that high quality support cannot be achieved elsewhere, with a professional and competent Management team.

iandean
12-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, i am 100% committed to an independent and legitimacy governing body for UK MMA. I just feel that the ISKA is not the way forward, as it also effectively a promoter of events and it would be no different than myself setting up my own governing body to oversee my events.

Of course i'm don't actually promote any events as i'm not gangster enough to promote a UK MMA event (http://www.cagewarriors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=224536&postcount=62) :)

Sherlock
13-10-2009, 01:38 AM
ISKA MMA did an absolutely cracking job on Fight ikon last night for me. Lee, Mark and all the other ISKA officials were absolutely fantastic and totally professional. I decided to use ISKA after having experienced their professionalism in the past for Kickboxing and Muay Thai shows we have faught on and my partner Darren Morris has used them for shows he has worked on too.

I wanted to bring in an impartial body to give our show a reputation of fairness as well as a proper set of rules and standards. ISKA MMA are also one of the few bodies that stipulate blood testing for Hep B&C & HIV in pro bouts with elbows which is now standard in parts of Europe so we were proud to introdue this, at least a step towards looking after the health and safety of fighters.

Thanks for the comments Paul, it was an absolute pleasure having such pleasant, courteous and skilled guys over as yourselves. Looking forwards to your next ISKA event in Belfast February and have been chatting with my lads tonight about it. :D

I'm still buzzin from my 1st show!!!

Reedy
13-10-2009, 01:50 AM
We have had a few ISKA events in Bristol, Weston and one in cheltenham. All events were mainly kick boxing with 3 pro mma fights. The shows were all really well run and everyone really enjoyed them selves and i was happy to be involved.

But and its a big but, none of the mma fights have been databased. FFS get this sorted out, ive been in touch with the promoter on about 5 occassions. One time Kainer was very kind in making sure they went on and i know he has ti hassle a lot of smaller shows to do this. . It shouldn't be down to anyone but the promoter to make sure reulsts are recorded.

I think the shows so far have been really good but i would hesitate to put a fighter on if they wouldnt get the reward of a win on their record.

its easy

fighter 1 v fighter 2 = result,time,method.

IFS.NI
13-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, i am 100% committed to an independent and legitimacy governing body for UK MMA. I just feel that the ISKA is not the way forward, as it also effectively a promoter of events and it would be no different than myself setting up my own governing body to oversee my events.

Of course i'm don't actually promote any events as i'm not gangster enough to promote a UK MMA event (http://www.cagewarriors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=224536&postcount=62) :)

Hi Ian,

Heres the report with introduction of Lee as the ISKA MMA Director - It also has a bit on the association to Strikeforce.

http://www.iska.org.uk/news/article/iska_uk_launch_mma_division_headed_by_lee_hasdell/

I still firmly believe the ISKA are doing their best and succeeding in bring quality and and professional standards to MMA in the UK & Ireland. The point about the UFC was to mention that their standards and professionalism has not gone un noticed by the major MMA events. I have spoke many times to Paul Hennessy and he has always been extremely helpful and has a genuine interest in promoting the sport of MMA in a positive light.

No one is forcing fighters to take part in the ISKA shows but its good to know they are there and trying to progress the sport.

There may be other smaller issues that need to be ironed out but for me as a promoter what they are doing is ensuring a better standard for the fighters with regualtions such as doctors and HIV test for example - anything that is going to help the figthers regarding standards and safety is paramount in my book for the growth of the sport and of course the fighters wellfare. It just happens to be that the ISKA took the step to bring this about and give this a go to bring in a standard and so far have been doing a great job at the events,so in my opinion fair play to them!!

SSJ
15-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi,

The ISKA-MMA is a sanctioning body not governing body.

The ISKA-MMA DO NOT promote events, they sanction them, and provide officials etc.

The results will be sent to Sherdog as they are used by the top orgs worldwide.

The ISKA-MMA is here to offer a service for MMA fighters, promoters and camps.

I took a long look at the UK MMA scene after being involved from the mid 90's and decided last year that I would get involved with the ISKA-MMA instead of any of the 'Brand' style MMA set ups.

The people behind the ISKA-UK where the ones that got me into Japan in 1994, so I have been working with them for a long time. I like to work with people who do what they say and dont rely on talked up bravado, then it all comes to nothing.

The ISKA-MMA offer a friendly helpful service that has a long history within pro-combat sports world-wide and has great links to many top organisations in Japan and the USA.

The UK MMA scene need a quiet, reliable, consistent sanctioning body that allows the 'Brand' to do the promoting while the sanctioning body take care of the behind the scenes aspect of the sport.

For more info on the ISKA-MMA, please visit www.iska.org.uk

Regards,

Lee H

boxingbrit
15-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Was nice to meet and work with you and the guys on Sunday Lee. looking forward to the next show:)

SSJ
19-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Ian, yes - was good to meet you, hope the commentary came out well? Thank you for support.

Thanks.