PDA

View Full Version : Judo clubs in Cardiff

ade76
12-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I've had a look on the welsh judo association website and enquired there about local clubs in Cardiff and got no reply :( I've also sent text messages to a few local clubs and none of them replied :(

Does anyone know of friendly club that comes recommend that do private 1 to 1 lessons as well?

Femme-ma
12-10-2009, 06:27 PM
It was probably contempt at you not clicking on the clubs area of their website....

http://www.welshjudo.com/clubs.php

ade76
12-10-2009, 07:32 PM
no i clicked on that, emailed and texted a few and got nothing :(

C.K.A.Martial Arts
12-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Try - www.cmaa.co.uk - they might be able to help

Hands Of Stone
13-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Ade, I'll pm you some contact numbers now...

The Hands

ade76
13-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Paul you're a legend :D if you were a fit bird i'd kiss you :p

lee kru
15-10-2009, 10:41 PM
He dont care who kisses him!!!

At the National Sports Centre Mate - Sophia Gardens is about the best there is, new Dojo for Welsh Development being built soon i hear.

Beginners are always part of the development!

ade76
15-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Went tonight Lee and i am aching like hell :D Matt has a list of fighters for you as well for Sunday :) I am not fighting Jarek again :p i'll probably do the first interclub of the new year :)

Dante
25-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Are there any judo clubs in Cardiff (preferably not too far from City Center) that are open to beginners? So far all I know is the classes in Sophia Gardens where it seems nobody is less than a black belt, which is very intimidating.

ade76
25-10-2009, 07:19 PM
i guess you've had the misfortune of being a rag doll and been thrown all over the place? I know what you mean it is a bit like swimming with sharks as Craig and the rest of them there are very very good.
I failed to get any replies from local schools and well i suppose being thrown in at the deep end with the welsh squad isn't so bad :)

Dante
25-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I train with Pedro Bessa in the class after the judo, I've not been to any judo classes yet but yeah I got thrown about pretty good in my last session where we had to start stand-up and now I'm determined to learn stand-up techniques but without having it beaten into me by a room full of top end black belts (not for a while at least!)

I'm a white belt in bjj so I'd prefer to get into the judo with other white belts as well until I get some training and confidence in my standing game.

jcraig80
29-10-2009, 01:14 AM
I train with Pedro Bessa in the class after the judo, I've not been to any judo classes yet but yeah I got thrown about pretty good in my last session where we had to start stand-up and now I'm determined to learn stand-up techniques but without having it beaten into me by a room full of top end black belts (not for a while at least!)

I'm a white belt in bjj so I'd prefer to get into the judo with other white belts as well until I get some training and confidence in my standing game.

Guys; a bit dissapointed that you didn't get any replies from clubs in the area; when I get a chance will look to try and source some clubs for you.

A beginners class is something that we are looking into in the near future; cant be to specific about when it would start because the new dojo is designed for performance sport and is very expensive to hire out for commercial/average club purposes; but we do recognise there is a need for a good beginners/basics class in Cardiff.

Having said that I dont turn anyone away and there must have been about 8 guys mostly looking to x-train for bjj on the class on monday without judo grades; it could be a good option for you to start training/progressing together.

TBH although it is hard being thrown; sparring with stronger people is often the best way to learn; one of Pedro's guys Dan just started turning up to judo classes as a white belt and I recently graded him blue belt.

ade76
29-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Sorry I haven't been recently had a few issues, I did enjoy it when I came even though I did get smashed a bit :D and hurt a bit for a few days but again that was probably down to the Tomoe-nage you pulled on me twice and whatever Pedro pulled on me. I felt I wasn't doing too bad with the rest of the people I sparred and was holding my own ok.

My only other thing was I wish they had been a little more friendly only few people introduced themselves :o personally I believe that makes a big difference in making new comers welcome. :)