PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling In London

HendoUK
08-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Does any one know where there is any good wrestling clubs in east london or london?

blanker
08-12-2009, 12:15 PM
london shootfighters

HendoUK
08-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Its a bit far for me to travel in the week about a 50 minute train ride.

blanker
08-12-2009, 12:56 PM
theres not a huge amout of wrestling in the uk. lsf is about the only place i can think of.

Jogs D
08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Perhaps this will help:-

http://www.britishwrestling.org/clubs.asp?section=29&sectionTitle=Find+a+Club

123 MMA
08-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Their is wrestling at the Tokei aswell

Bateman
08-12-2009, 01:22 PM
The Peacock , silver town, doesnt the search function work on here ?

HendoUK
09-12-2009, 06:51 AM
Cheers bateman i live near there ill give them a call.

Sledge
09-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Their is wrestling at the Tokei aswell

Saturday morning/lunch time

HendoUK
10-12-2009, 07:00 AM
sledge i have done a bit of grappling do they let beginners train?

SPR
22-12-2009, 12:40 PM
There is an Olympic wrestling club in Leyton.

Here is the Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=22087608160

madhorsebjj
22-12-2009, 03:03 PM
As well as London Shoot and the others mentioned I heard there is a london amateur wrestling club, someone on the CW forums trains there but apparently it is mostly aimed at the gay community so I'm not sure how comfortable I would be training there but they seemed to have achieved a fair bit in grappling comps so might be worth having a look.

http://www.law-wrestling.org/

hammond
22-12-2009, 09:41 PM
i think theirs one in crystal palace, united wrestling

Iconoclast
22-12-2009, 10:00 PM
As well as London Shoot and the others mentioned I heard there is a london amateur wrestling club, someone on the CW forums trains there but apparently it is mostly aimed at the gay community so I'm not sure how comfortable I would be training there but they seemed to have achieved a fair bit in grappling comps so might be worth having a look.

http://www.law-wrestling.org/

To be fair, I wouldn't sat LAW is aimed at the gay community as such.

The head coach and at least half of the members are openly gay, but from what I could tell they weren't there to get their rocks off.

They all had a genuine interest in wrestling because they enjoyed it. My real complaint with LAW was the fact that it had no real class structure. It was simply an open mat type of affair where people just came to roll.

That's fine if you're an experienced grappler, but if you're a beginner it's about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

123 MMA
22-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Has anyone wrestled at the Kensington olympic wrestling club? How was it?

HendoUK
23-12-2009, 06:39 AM
I was going to go along to LAW even if it a open matt still time on the matt and i think the fees arent to expensive.

Jam Roll
01-04-2010, 07:41 PM
so has anyone trained wrestling at tokei? whats it like

Iconoclast
06-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Cobra gym does wrestling on a wednesday night according to their timetable. Has anyone been? Does anyone know anything about it?

http://www.cobragym.co.uk/Timetable/tabid/56/Default.aspx

Bateman
07-04-2010, 09:28 AM
I was going to go along to LAW even if it a open matt still time on the matt and i think the fees arent to expensive.

i think they would like you if you went along mate

sammye
07-04-2010, 10:47 AM
so has anyone trained wrestling at tokei? whats it like

yep I train there on Saturdays Boris the Bulgarian has been taking the class recently so very much Greco-Roman classes. The guy is absolutely awesome though fantastic teacher and wrestler!

123 MMA
07-04-2010, 08:37 PM
yep I train there on Saturdays Boris the Bulgarian has been taking the class recently so very much Greco-Roman classes. The guy is absolutely awesome though fantastic teacher and wrestler!

Boris the bulagarian, what are his credentials?

tatcho
09-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I train at a freestyle wrestling club in Newbury Park. PM me for details. Got a good mix of sizes and abilities. A few peeps who train MMA. Its only a fiver a class as well.

Every Tuesday 8pm- 9:30pm

mambo29
12-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Some more info about Kensington wrestling would be greatly appreciated cost etc. They wouldn't be annoyed if someone doing MMA turned up would they and would I learn some decent stuff?
Anybody know of other gyms around North/west or central london or even middx/buck/berks?
Internet hasn't been so great in results for that.
Thanks

The Natural
12-07-2010, 04:15 PM
''boris the bulgarian'' sounds like a character out of snatch..

cameron
20-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I used to go to Kensington freestyle a few years back reguarly (think it was tuesdays and thursdays but cant remember).

The training is very relaxed, they never used to drill techniques though and more just sparred and you learnt that way. You could stop and ask the mad Iranian who just threw you about a cars length to show you the technique and they would break it down with no explanation but you would still learn the technique in time (with drilling of course).

The atmosphere I got from that place was more about friends or just training partners sparring for 2 hours as opposed to 'back straight, bend on the front knee and drive your hips forward with neck straight'...it was still great for trainign and learning and if you got tired you could always just watch two mammoths throw each other around screaming 'Ali' at the top of their voice (never knew or found out what that was about though).

All in all I would recommend it.