PDA

View Full Version : who here lives for the future instead of the moment?

Macthumperton
21-01-2010, 02:16 AM
as above

10 characters

Craig
21-01-2010, 02:19 AM
I am always working towards a goal (the future) and always trying to remove whatever obstacles are present (the here and now). Sometimes the present just gets in the way though!

Wiegieboard
21-01-2010, 02:53 AM
I've just changed. I always used to look too far ahead. Didn't enjoy life as a result. I live for the moment now and feel a lot better about things.

Macthumperton
21-01-2010, 03:15 AM
I've just changed. I always used to look too far ahead. Didn't enjoy life as a result. I live for the moment now and feel a lot better about things.

i see this a lot in regards to uni or work. people looking for some magical pot at the end of the rainbow as reward for all their drudgery.

Wiegieboard
21-01-2010, 03:31 AM
i see this a lot in regards to uni or work. people looking for some magical pot at the end of the rainbow as reward for all their drudgery.

I was caught up in that mentality for a long time. It's what is taught to us in modern education from the age of 5 and is something that is very difficult to let go of.
The world in my experience is a very different place from what you are taught until you reach supposed adulthood.

DanCrase
21-01-2010, 03:48 AM
I have a few "destinations" of where I would like to be at certain points of my life, but how I get there and what else I do along the way; I just do as and when.

At the end of the day, I've possibly got 70+ years left on this Earth, fuck rushing!

Macthumperton
21-01-2010, 04:40 AM
I was caught up in that mentality for a long time. It's what is taught to us in modern education from the age of 5 and is something that is very difficult to let go of.
The world in my experience is a very different place from what you are taught until you reach supposed adulthood.

they tell you that as a control mechanism.

the most successful people I've known told me they just followed their passions and doors opened for them. That's the law of the universe.

Macthumperton
21-01-2010, 04:45 AM
Anyone remember this quote from the Nogueira vs Mir season of TUF?

Nog's boxing coach said it:

"Yesterday is a canceled check, tomorrow is a promissory note, but today is cash on hand.”

Shaun.R.
21-01-2010, 05:06 AM
bit of both, going back into education to further my career options but also im right now in thailand. even tho i wouldnt say im living for the moment right now, im more trying to get over jetlag lol you can do both

andrew123
21-01-2010, 07:27 AM

Smurfette5ft
21-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I believe on average, it’s all about living for the “here and now” but as we hit our late 20’s early 30’s; we begin to focus towards long term goals.

But competitive athletes seem like the opposite. The practice, hard work, and non-stop training are invested so early on that they put themselves in 2nd place. Later, that person realizes that they are sacrificing way too much, and then learns to relax.

Sledge
21-01-2010, 06:05 PM
If you have 1 foot in yesterday and 1 foot in tomorrow, you're pissing on today!!

blackdogmma
21-01-2010, 06:12 PM
i had never really stopped to think about this before, but having thought about it, i felt conflicted about the answer.

I just asked my friends im chatting with on facebook/MSN and worse still got contradictory answers.

One said that i am a day-at-a-time, care-free, stress-free free spirit who flits through life, another said that i am a plotter, a planner and a schemer who is "in it for the long game" and whose plans are constructed with "a chinese notion of time span" (whatever that means)

now i'm confused, perhaps these relate to different aspects of my life, one of them is a close friend, the other more a work/training colleague, so perhaps that explains why their perspective of me is so wildly different.

Luke
21-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Interesting... I often live for tomorrow. I'm always worrying about the future, restricting what I spend, saving for my mortgage and making sure I have enough for 'tomorrow'. Sometimes you gotta have a live for today philosophy, otherwise you'll look back and realise you've not lived or done anything.

It's like I was recently invited to Cuba and normally I'd say no cos it costs a lot, then I thought fuck it, why shouldn't I go I have enough savings. Plus it's something to look forward to.

Al Wallace
21-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. At the moment I'm saving for a 25% deposit on my first house, so I'm easy on the spending and as a result I spend most of my time not living for the moment. Plus I'm in the second year of a 5 year degree which on top of a full time job takes up a lot of my time. I'll only get one shot at this (don't have many other quals) and I don't want to fuck it up.

At the back of my mind though I often have the quote from shawshank redemption going round my head - get busy living or get busy dying. I'm gonna flog my car soon and it's time to make moves pretty sharpish I think

Jak-TapouT-
21-01-2010, 10:42 PM
There are too many things i want to do for one lifetime. I just live my life as it comes, everything happens for a reason. I just try to live in happiness and without regret.

Its not the destination its the journey.

Wiegieboard
21-01-2010, 11:15 PM
One said that i am a day-at-a-time, care-free, stress-free free spirit who flits through life, another said that i am a plotter, a planner and a schemer who is "in it for the long game" and whose plans are constructed with "a chinese notion of time span" (whatever that means)

I'm more of a fly by the seam of my pants type of guy now haha.

Rob T
22-01-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't see it as an either/or situation, you need to consider a bit of both. Live and have fun but it's worth planning for the future and having goals.

As for "it's a control mechanism" lol.

Macthumperton
22-01-2010, 06:17 PM
When will I be happy?
I'll be happy when....
I am finally sixteen....
I'm elected prom queen.....
I have finally graduated.....
My curfew is belated....
Off to college I go....
There's no classes to tow.....
I meet the right spouse....
I have my own house....
All these bills I do not owe....
On vacation I can go....
I have children of my own....
All my kids are grown....
I have a grandchild to hold....
If I wasn't getting old....
I can retire and travel all around.....
If I could just sit down....
I'll be happy when....
When will I be happy?

Macthumperton
22-01-2010, 06:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH46SmVv8SU

steve_langford
22-01-2010, 06:19 PM
I live for now , hence the reason im skint........

Bakerr
22-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I live for now , hence the reason im skint........

This is true. Almost too true.

steve_langford
22-01-2010, 06:26 PM
This is true. Almost too true.

Its very true....... :(