PDA

View Full Version : Break in period

angelus
01-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I've just started MMA (literally done 1 session) and was wondering how long newbies tend to need before being competition ready. I know this will depend on a huge number of variables but is there a ball park figure you could say would be realistic from starting training to starting competing?

I've done some martial arts years ago so i have a basic grasp of how to punch, kick and balance etc but no real grappling or full contact experience.

Allan Shrek
01-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Couple of months, any more than that and you should change clubs because they're obviously holding you back.

matmccarthy
09-02-2010, 07:39 PM
when you feel ready,hopefully you will get matched evenly,you will win and lose if you do it long enough,its all a learning curve.

clarky14
09-02-2010, 07:51 PM
It took me a while from starting training to having my first match-up, think it was about 15-18 months!!!

I had a little experience of TMA as a kid so had basics down but it was a few factors which helped me to take my time.

Best bet for you would be to see how you feel in yourself, confidence in your techniques and how ready you feel to take a punch!! (even though the adrenalin changes how you react to it when it comes your way in competition).

Good luck though, and as matmccarthy said, hopefully you get matched up evenly.