PDA

View Full Version : Sparring Partners/inter Clubs

shotokandy
18-04-2010, 06:48 PM
One On One MMA is a new club in Pontypridd. I've had 3 fighters competing successfully already and would love to get all of our boys a bit more experience by visiting some longer established clubs in the south wales area.
So if any of you guys out there would be willing to allow us to visit it you at your clubs for a bit of practice and sparring and/or vice versa, I would love to hear from you.

shakus maximus
18-04-2010, 10:49 PM
our doors are always open to other clubs
i will bell u 2moro mate

Rob T
19-04-2010, 12:26 AM
If you want to train jiu-jitsu you'd be welcome to come down to Swansea.

MMAlien
19-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Where too in ponty mate? Eagles muay thai are having an interclub Saturday may the 1st, it's muay thai rules but it's good for bringing on your stand up!

GreekGod
19-04-2010, 10:27 PM
One to One Gym Ltd is just down by Showcase Cinemas.. isn't that classed as Treforest? either way it's down by there.

GG

shotokandy
20-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Where too in ponty mate? Eagles muay thai are having an interclub Saturday may the 1st, it's muay thai rules but it's good for bringing on your stand up!

Cheers mate that sounds good. We've got a Kickboxing club here too that may be interested in that.

MMAlien
20-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Shotokandy....drove past your gym the other day...accross from the pottery? got class times mate? don't live far from there and need to find more places to train to fit around my unsocialble working hours!

shotokandy
20-04-2010, 03:31 PM
At the moment we train 6-8pm on a Monday and 7-8pm tues to thurs. Kickboxing is wed and sun 6-7 for adults.
If anyone is interested I've got a few places left on our Rick young seminar on 19th June too. If you've trained with the guy you'll know what an amazing allround martial artist he is. PM me if you're interested and to book a spot.

Shotokandy....drove past your gym the other day...accross from the pottery? got class times mate? don't live far from there and need to find more places to train to fit around my unsocialble working hours!

shotokandy
20-04-2010, 03:34 PM
The gym is open from 6am weekdays and 8am weekends.

At the moment we train 6-8pm on a Monday and 7-8pm tues to thurs. Kickboxing is wed and sun 6-7 for adults.
If anyone is interested I've got a few places left on our Rick young seminar on 19th June too. If you've trained with the guy you'll know what an amazing allround martial artist he is. PM me if you're interested and to book a spot.

MMAlien
20-04-2010, 03:54 PM
The kick boxing on a Sunday afternoon sounds good.....it it low kick or 8 kick?

shotokandy
20-04-2010, 04:30 PM

shakus maximus
20-04-2010, 10:34 PM

i would have def come to this with a few lads but its the same date as ready to rage.
what is he covering in the seminar mate? and when is he down next

Hands Of Stone
20-04-2010, 11:55 PM
I live about 4 miles away, so I'd love to pop round and throw some leather around.
Then we could spar....

What's the full weeks running times etc ?

Other than that, come down to ours whenever you fancy.
Best sessions for your guys would be...
Tues - 7 til 8:30
Wed - 5:30 til 7
or
Saturday 11am til 12:30pm

The Hands

shotokandy
21-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Sunday Kick boxing, I believe is high kick. It's run by Owen Williams of Valleys Kickboxing.

shotokandy
21-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Hi mate that would be fantastic. The boys could do with learning a bit from an experienced guy like you. We train Monday to thursday 7-8pm and we also train Saturday mornings at 10am. We also squeeze other sessons in through the week. The gym is a bit under-staffed at the moment so I havent had the opportunity to develop a fuller program yet.
Drop me a line whenever you fancy it 07772212962 or andy@zanshintraining.com. Thanks for the invite to your too.

I live about 4 miles away, so I'd love to pop round and throw some leather around.
Then we could spar....

What's the full weeks running times etc ?

Other than that, come down to ours whenever you fancy.
Best sessions for your guys would be...
Tues - 7 til 8:30
Wed - 5:30 til 7
or
Saturday 11am til 12:30pm

The Hands

MMAlien
21-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Who is the MMA coach...this could be very handy for me as it's round the corner from nando's ;-)

shotokandy
21-04-2010, 04:07 PM
That would be me mate! The gym also has a corporate membership scheme with Nando's. Pop in to see me when you get a minute.
Andy
Who is the MMA coach...this could be very handy for me as it's round the corner from nando's ;-)

MMAlien
21-04-2010, 08:43 PM
That would be me mate! The gym also has a corporate membership scheme with Nando's. Pop in to see me when you get a minute.
Andy

Wow!!! I'm in haha!

GreekGod
21-04-2010, 10:31 PM
That would be me mate!
Andy

What Kind of Experience do you have as an MMA coach then?

Also, what do you cover in the 1 hour night classes from Mon-Thursday.. would you be looking at adding in any more classes as time goes by, due to being a new gym and all, maybe even day classes..

GG

shotokandy
21-04-2010, 11:29 PM
To be perfectly honest I'm new to the MMA scene as coach for competitive fighters but I've coached and competed in Karate in its various forms WUKO/WKF & Full Contact for 25 years. My expertise is in Shotokan Karate which I've been practising since I was 4 years old which is 39 years and I hold a 5th dan in and have been teaching & coaching since I was 13 (my father Mike O'Brien was the first Welshman to gain a 1st dan in Shotokan so its in my blood). Dad introduced Ju Jutsu into our Karate back in 1977 although Karate, when taught correctly, is basically already a mixed martial art as it contains techniques in all ranges including grappling. I dont profess to be an expert on everything so I train extensively with those who are and bring in outside expertise as required. I've got Rick Young down for the 3rd time in June if you fancy it.

It's very difficult to cover anything in an hour and the plan is for the MArtial Arts section of the gym to be almost a seperate entity on a full time basis (which was supposed to be the case from day one but we wont go there!!). As you know its very hard to cover anything of substance in an hour, by the time you've done a decent warm up, stretch etc. On Monday, we have an introductory class (which the more experienced guys use as a warm-up) I get the new guys comfortable with some light vertical grappling (movement in various grips & clinches), some basic groundwork (trap & roll and mount control etc), striking using focus pads & shields and then a bit of fun on the ground, get-ups from bottom & top. This class is followed by a very tough circuit including 2 man drills. Tuesday, is fight simulations and sparring sessions. Wednesday is totally Bag, pads and shields plus Kickboxing before my session. Thursday is takedowns & groundwork finishing with 15 minutes randori. There's nothing on Friday at the moment cos its my night off but Terry Prescott will be bringing the welsh knockdown squad to train with us soon and everyone is welcome. Saturday morning we do 2 to 3 hours covering what we've done over the week then a good fight session unless we've got a seminar on. Next month is Paul Herbert who is a Karate guy but incredible fighter.

I think that about covers it! Oh more kickboxing on sunday!