PDA

View Full Version : Gov body at last ???

ucmma dave
16-09-2010, 03:19 PM
www.mmagb.com

SEEMS OK

James-w
16-09-2010, 03:29 PM
11. Striking the head of a downed opponent using the elbow.

the only show I know that has this rule in UK is UCMMA, plus I just got a message on facebook by the owner of UCMMA, Ray, asking people to sign up and join this governing body, also I heard that this governing body had a meeting with UCMMA...

seems to me like this is a governing body that will favour some shows... and for that reason, im sure alot of shows will be out

19. Appeals Procedure

An appeal against a decision must be brought to the attention of the promoter no later than 24 hour after the original decision has been made. An official appeal must be presented in writing to the promoter within 72 hours.

soooo, whats the point of having a governing body then lol

"It is not possible for both fighters to score 10 points for a round"

really?

Dragunov
16-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Looks OK from the website. Anyone know who's behind this?

Rob T
16-09-2010, 03:38 PM
How does it look ok? Anyone could put that site up, it means nothing whatsoever.

As above, there are inconsistencies with standard rule-sets and scoring, plus the site should really list the people on the board etc.

Romeoblood
16-09-2010, 03:39 PM
a few issues

there is no spilt of rules between am, semi and pro (i.e am, no head shots, semi no head shots to downed opponent, pro all strikes)

it states 3 x 5 minute rounds, shouldnt that be 3 x 3 for am, 3 x 4 for semi, and 3 x 5 for pro, 5 x 5 for title fights?

it states no eblows to a downed opponents head, isnt this allowed in pro rules?

apart from that it looks good to me though, and its free to join, so its not about making money off the promoters/fighters

Dragunov
16-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Looks OK = Not much information. There isn't much to dispute.
I like the 'Not for profit' bit and working in unison with Sport England

Hence the question.. does anyone know who's behind this? As maybe then the short and long term goals of this group can be found out.

James-w
16-09-2010, 03:44 PM
apart from that it looks good to me though, and its free to join, so its not about making money off the promoters/fighters

thats the worrying thing, how does it make any money to pay for these "officials"? a commision has about 10+ officials at shows in the US, they dont leave the fighters side up untill the cage door locks..

so I assume that it will be the shows using people, which is no different to now, which is kinda pointless having a governing body....

Dragunov
16-09-2010, 03:45 PM
thats the worrying thing, how does it make any money to pay for these "officials"? a commision has about 10+ officials at shows in the US, they dont leave the fighters side up untill the cage door locks..

so I assume that it will be the shows using people, which is no different to now, which is kinda pointless having a governing body....

QFT The money needs to come from somewhere to run it professionally.

marc goddard
16-09-2010, 03:46 PM
So a GB at last? Commendable for anyones efforts, just a few quick questions.

-You state it comprises of experts, can we know who they are please?
-You state ref to be qualified? Qualified by whom and how?
-You state thate judges should only be "approved" yet refs must be qualified.
-Your scoring criteria is wrong and is back to front.
-You state use of 10 point must yet you state that you can not have a 10-10? This is wrong and incorrect.
-2 corner men - why?
-You want to form a GB yet you state that corner men can administer adrenalin? I trust that you are checking for their license in order to do so?

Just a few queries really, if the people who are behind this would like to get in touch I would be glad to talk to then to offer any help I can.

Thanks.

Nathan_Court
16-09-2010, 03:48 PM
surerly if it was in partnership with sport england it would have there logo on the site.

James-w
16-09-2010, 03:49 PM
seriously, I dont think fighters, cornermen, managers, shows, refs and so on, will mind paying a licence fee, if they know the money will go into he sport and shows will be goverened correctly..
doing it for free, helps only the shows out by making them act like they are doing EVERYTHING for the sport... for free.. with absoutly no change of how they run things lol
surley calibrated digi scales are most acurate anyway aint they?

MrHillman
16-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Ray Ramnath own the domain name.

James-w
16-09-2010, 03:50 PM
So a GB at last? Commendable for anyones efforts, just a few quick questions.

-You state it comprises of experts, can we know who they are please?
-You state ref to be qualified? Qualified by whom and how?
-You state thate judges should only be "approved" yet refs must be qualified.
-Your scoring criteria is wrong and is back to front.
-You state use of 10 point must yet you state that you can not have a 10-10? This is wrong and incorrect.
-2 corner men - why?
-You want to form a GB yet you state that corner men can administer adrenalin? I trust that you are checking for their license in order to do so?

Just a few queries really, if the people who are behind this would like to get in touch I would be glad to talk to then to offer any help I can.

Thanks.

I was also wondering about these too, but didnt want to rant off, I wanted to see if it was just me that see holes in this...

seems im not by messages ive had on fb and msn...

Jay Evans
16-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Internet = Scary.

James-w
16-09-2010, 03:51 PM

no way??? really... so this IS UCMMA??????

ucmma dave
16-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Dear Dave,
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to MMAGB which is the new governing body for MMA.
MMAGB has been set up as a non profit organisation in association with Sport England and is represented by Charles Russell Solicitors who are also the representatives for the Football Association in the UK.
The purpose behind the organisation is to have a unified set of rules and regulations for the sport of MMA here in the UK and Ireland as well as being somewhere that anyone can call on to gain information and advice about MMA.
The MMAGB team are working closely with various stakeholders including; insurers, equipment suppliers, gyms and promoters, through to corporate sponsors, fighters, coaches, judges and referees. It is formed of experts from the world of MMA who will pool their knowledge and experience from across the sport, whether they be former fighters, referees, administrators, trainers/coaches, club or venue owners.
Membership is open to everyone who is involved in the sport of MMA, from an individual who attends the occasional MMA training class to the professional MMA fighter who is dedicating their life to the sport as well as all the clubs that hold MMA classes.
One of our key objectives is to improve the safety standards of both events and training in the sport, promote the sport of MMA in the UK and take it to International arenas.
The ultimate goal is for MMA to become an Olympic sport. Our role is to increase participation in the sport itself and to improve the public perception - fostering mainstream audiences to take it to an International level.

We will be implementing and supporting an infrastructure - creating leagues where all teams/clubs and organisations will be involved, similar to that of the Football Association.

MMAGB membership is free of charge, simply click here in order to be a part of the way forward for the sport of MMA here in the UK.

As a member we will keep you updated with all of the latest news on the development of the sport.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for helping in the development of the sport that we all love so much.

Team MMAGB

Nathan_Court
16-09-2010, 03:53 PM
no elbows to grounded opponent to me is bullshit. what will happen to the guys who make it to the ufc, get matched with gnp expert n have seven shades of shit elbowed out of them when have never experienced it before in there careers :s

Dragunov
16-09-2010, 03:53 PM
no way??? really... so this IS UCMMA??????

Hmmmm Oh dear

Bateman
16-09-2010, 03:54 PM
8. Contestant's Equipment

Contestants should wear suitable shorts. No other clothing is allowed

Sounds more like Family Fortunes than a Governing Body for a Fight Sport

what a crock of crap...

Dragunov
16-09-2010, 03:56 PM
7. Putting a finger into any orifice

This shouldn't have to be written down. There's right and wrong... and this is definitely wrong.

MrHillman
16-09-2010, 03:57 PM
personally i like it

MrHillman
16-09-2010, 03:59 PM
even if it is a UCMMA thing, leading the way and starting it all off could be a good thing? perhaps? maybe?

Nathan_Court
16-09-2010, 03:59 PM
The winner of a round will be awarded 10 points, and the loser 9 points or less. It is not possible for both fighters to score 10 points for a round.

is that how grove got awarded the win against stav then?

Jay Evans
16-09-2010, 04:01 PM
personally i like it

lmao, look at the message before what you put!

Dragunov
16-09-2010, 04:01 PM
even if it is a UCMMA thing, leading the way and starting it all off could be a good thing? perhaps? maybe?

IF it is UCMMA. It's good that they have showed the initiative to try to get something in place but it's my personal opinion that a promotion should not be running the governing body.

MrHillman
16-09-2010, 04:02 PM
well, maybe Ray registered the name, and now the solicitors above will run the other stuff?

and my timing Jay, not good! hahahhahah

James-w
16-09-2010, 04:02 PM

a governing body should be totaly free of any show, otherwise it is open to major critisim. just like this thread.. plus, with a UK scene with so many egos, how many shows are going to have another show tell them what they can and cant do? especially if the rules are not what they agree with.

Jay Evans
16-09-2010, 04:06 PM
well, maybe Ray registered the name, and now the solicitors above will run the other stuff?

and my timing Jay, not good! hahahhahah

:D gave me my midday giggles.

I don't think anyone will ever be fully happy with how the UK MMA Governing Body forms BUT at least people are actively trying to do it and *maybe* as a result will elevate the sport in the UK.

MrHillman
16-09-2010, 04:06 PM
true Jay, True.

But i think no one liked that other one, which seems to of died down....i cant remember the blokes name. lol

if its a DoD post, maybe he is feeding us all stuff to chew on, you know what he is like.

Death wish
16-09-2010, 04:07 PM
i would like to see david swann start 1 up as his heart is in the rite place and really wants whats best for uk mma i think mma conect could pull it off

Romeoblood
16-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Personally I think that with input from the right people (a selection of fighters, promoters, and other respected bodies) this could work in the long run

there are a few alterations need to be made, but it is at least a step in the right direction

I do think it should be run by an independant body (i.e. NOT a promoter)

ucmma dave
16-09-2010, 04:12 PM
They asked for my rules but i did say 2 things that must be left to other shows .1] elbows on the ground and 2]for the shows with big egos 5x5 min rounds . witch i still think is a piss take to any fighter

Sport England are behind this ALL LEGAL COST'S WERE PUT IN BY US just to get the ball rolling . the rest is down to you

p.s guys like james just find fault thats why they will never get anywhere or do anything just sit by there pc all day long

MrHillman
16-09-2010, 04:15 PM
a massive step forward i think......

James-w
16-09-2010, 04:16 PM
They asked for my rules but i did say 2 things that must be left to other shows .1] elbows on the ground and 2]for the shows with big egos 5x5 min rounds . witch i still think is a piss take to any fighter

Sport England are behind this ALL LEGAL COST'S WERE PUT IN BY US just to get the ball rolling . the rest is down to you

p.s guys like james just find fault thats why they will never get anywhere or do anything just sit by there pc all day long

yeah, im the only guy who found faults, your right.. oh wait, I just re-read the thread :rolleyes:

marc goddard
16-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Dave,

Commnedable as I said in anyones efforts mate. You state that things to be left to others shows, meaning they differ from you. If that is the case then no "unified" rules could ever be reached.

There are some fundamental differences in the rules you use to the rules I would activley push [#unified adopted from US] not saying your rules are "wrong" at all, just not what I would activley preach and this in part is showing how true "unification" is way way off.

Best of luck.

PointyShinyBurning
16-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Sport England are behind this
In what way, exactly?

Bateman
16-09-2010, 05:02 PM
is this different from what Rosi put forward ? as I liked the route she was going down ..

Dragunov
16-09-2010, 05:09 PM
is this different from what Rosi put forward ? as I liked the route she was going down ..

This is nothing to do with Rosi as far as I'm aware.

matmccarthy
16-09-2010, 06:12 PM
strangely enough me and paul jenkins had a meeting with sport wales this morning about this very subject,im not sure about sport england but sport wales does not recognize a sport as a sport unless it has had a GB for 2 years.I have big list of criteria from them too work through and if there is no UK GB they wont accept a welsh GB. if anyone would like to see the criteria email me mat@jemathaulage.co.uk and i will forward it to you,i would appreciate any help and input.

lee_whitehead
16-09-2010, 06:22 PM
the only reason they are subject to a governing body in the US is because it is a requirement by law, but if they want to do their own thing, they do it on a Native Indian reservation and get away with what they want. By that synergy the UK is outside of the letter of the law because there isn't any regarding the sport.

No law, no governing body.

Much as I would like safety, terms and all the other things to be better for fighters, it just isn't going to happen until some twat passes a bill in the house of lords.

End of

Augustus Gloop
16-09-2010, 06:46 PM
No law, no governing body.

Much as I would like safety, terms and all the other things to be better for fighters, it just isn't going to happen until some twat passes a bill in the house of lords.

End of
this is simply not true. plenty of sports have governing bodies. even table tennis has a governing body (English Table Tennis Authority) but its sure as hell not because of any twat passing a bill

boxingbrit
16-09-2010, 07:11 PM
If Sport England are really behind this it may be well worth looking at. I can see why people are sceptical about it being funded and website bought by UCMMA but atleast someone is trying.

After speaking to Marc Goddard at KnuckleUp i realised how much i didnt know about the Unified rules i thought i did, + have fought to for 7 years, reffed, judged and commentated for the last 6. Maybe the members of the body should attend his course so they atleast know the sport they are governing for us.

CHRIS ZORBA
16-09-2010, 07:58 PM
What other promotions have been approached?????

Stumac
16-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Just a couple of things.

1/ Sport England do not regulate sport in Scotland, that would be down to Sport Scotland.
2/ In order for a GB to be rcognised by Sport England/Scotland the GB must have existed for at least 2 years before it can even apply for recognition.

There are more requirements that have to be met, all are available on the sport England/Scotland web site.

Seems to me that yet again this is a promotion trying to pass it's self of as a GB.

Stu

Andy Costello
16-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Mma needs a governing body. Dave O'Donnell has been at the forefront of British mma for years and no one in the sport has a bad word to say about him. This sounds good.

MMA RULES
17-09-2010, 08:12 AM
What other promotions have been approached?????

I knew they was sorting it out.

lee_whitehead
17-09-2010, 08:20 AM
this is simply not true. plenty of sports have governing bodies. even table tennis has a governing body (English Table Tennis Authority) but its sure as hell not because of any twat passing a bill

What I mean is, its not law to follow or adhere to the governing bodies rules, so even if some shows here want to agree to their terms, surely others will say fuck it, and do what they want anyway with no repercussions.

You could argue that some people in the know might look on that promotion in a negative light, but seeing as how Joe Public doesnt even correlate between MMA, Cage Fighting and UFC, I dont think they will give a damn.

This is nt about bouncing a piece of plastic across the table, this is about people hurting each other in a high effective fashion. It its law then blood tests can be mandatory, drugs test, criteria to be met for safety, etc... which all has a cost implication to implement, but makes things safer, if you want to cut those corners by excluding some optional governing body there are no repercussions.

All you have to do is look at America to see how GB + Law helps to weed out the trash.

mickholdaway
17-09-2010, 08:38 AM
I think its about time some of you stopped trashing every effort to form a governing body. Either you want one or you don't. Put your support where your mouth is. At least your input might be taken seriously if your a part of it. As some one said, if Dave is behind it his heart is in MMA and we need to surely start some where. It will cost nothing to sign up but members will assist with gaining credibility.

matmccarthy
17-09-2010, 08:44 AM
it has to happen and we have to start somewhere,things can be thrased out as we move along.

mickholdaway
17-09-2010, 09:19 AM
it has to happen and we have to start somewhere,things can be thrased out as we move along.

Totally agree.

MrHillman
17-09-2010, 11:14 AM
as mickholdaway says, either want one or not, the other GB that was posting on here seems to have gone quite, Rosi has/is trying too.

UCMMA seem to be, as DoD said, the only one to put money where there mouth is, so to speak

PointyShinyBurning
17-09-2010, 11:42 AM
What I mean is, its not law to follow or adhere to the governing bodies rules, so even if some shows here want to agree to their terms, surely others will say fuck it, and do what they want anyway with no repercussions.

You could argue that some people in the know might look on that promotion in a negative light, but seeing as how Joe Public doesnt even correlate between MMA, Cage Fighting and UFC, I dont think they will give a damn.

This is nt about bouncing a piece of plastic across the table, this is about people hurting each other in a high effective fashion. It its law then blood tests can be mandatory, drugs test, criteria to be met for safety, etc... which all has a cost implication to implement, but makes things safer, if you want to cut those corners by excluding some optional governing body there are no repercussions.

All you have to do is look at America to see how GB + Law helps to weed out the trash.The BBBofC seem to do all right despite their sanctioning not being mandated by law. There is unlicensed boxing, but everybody knows the difference and actual pros wouldn't dream of fighting on those shows.

boxingbrit
17-09-2010, 12:01 PM
FYI a lot of pros fight on Unliscenced shows under different names to make up there money.

James-w
17-09-2010, 12:19 PM
as mickholdaway says, either want one or not, the other GB that was posting on here seems to have gone quite, Rosi has/is trying too.

UCMMA seem to be, as DoD said, the only one to put money where there mouth is, so to speak

I dont think there is a question of anyone wanting one or not.. I think its more along the lines that people want one they can trust and rely on... reading through that, its nothing more than what we have now... if you have a complaint write to the promoter within 72 hours.. sorry, why the promoter if we have a governing body? do any of you understand even what a governing body is?

then there is the fact they want a unified rule set for the UK, yet UCMMA, OMMAC, BAMMA and CW all have different rules... all of them but UC allow elbows to the head on floor, CW and BAMMA do 5x5, ommac and UC dont...
the 5x5 rule is not really a problem for shows to decide on to make this work, but the elbows to the head will.. so someone has got to give, and UC have made it clear they have no intention of adding elbows, and all the other wish to do the US standard of unified rules. so that right away is an obstacle. no one is going to give in on that.

things like people have pointed out, 2 corner men.. doesnt make sense. (2 corner men only allowed in the cage between rounds, thats different, but it doesnt say that, so we can only assume that it means the former) the 10 point must system with no 10-10 round..... why are people acting like there is zero fault with anything on their list, because DoD says so? it baffles me, why people act so blinded at times they either dont, or feel they cant have an opinion, because of the possible consequences if it upsets certain people. there are some very obvious things that need to be addressed, and it seems the easy thing for people to do, is say that those who question dont want a GB, or don't know what they are talking about.

I think people like myself and Marc Goddard, Ian Dean and Chris Zorba, are so PRO governing body, that we will question these things, because we want one so badly, and we want one done right. whats wrong with people pointing out obvious faults? why does everything have to have some kind of hate campaign against it? why cant it just be, erm, I have some questions, a, b, c, d, e... please explain.. but I guess its easier for you guys to just say stuff like, put your support where your mouth is!!! why should people support something that they dont think is very solid or seems to understand the sport?

also, hasnt dave come out and said he isnt involved with this? so why are people going on like he is? or is he, is he more involved than he says and I missed something?
people really dont see a problem with a promoter running a GB? really, no one sees the problem with that?
it isnt dave, if it was Chris Zorba who di it, who I get on with very well with, I would say the exact same thing, I wouldn't like it, and neither would alot of people. its wrong on so many levels.. it would be nothing worse than Jimmy wallhead fighting at cage warriors, ian dean weighing him in, and his opponent not seeing, and then ian saying, yeah he made weight ok... there would always be a little doubt as to if he did or not as his manager is the promoter..... this would happen with shows big ticket sellers and promoters close friend/fighters. it leaves it open to so much critisism. yet not one person seems to even think about these things...

people are so desperate for a commission, it seems they will just agree to th first one that comes along with a website and a highly respected promoter says, these guys look ok... well, you can either look at the site and have an opinion and say it, or not if you feel threatening txt and calls might come your way, or, you can just go, yep, that must be good because someone said so..

no one is saying, fuck these guys, dont deal with them, I think people have said, these guys have got some serious questions and points that need to be answered. and guess what, no one has done yet.. so do we want a commission that doesnt answer questions? but saying that, any appeals you have, dont bother them with it, I mean, its not the commissions job :confused:

Sledge
17-09-2010, 12:50 PM
I'd be happy to support the effort of a non for profit org trying regulate MMA but the no elbows on the floor rule goes against UFC rules and I think that to be effective then you have to get the UFC on side.

There are now about 5-6 groups jockeying for position to be the UK GB and I'm sure one of them will come out ahead. It will happen but I think it will take years to get everything ironed out.

boxingbrit
17-09-2010, 12:54 PM
I think it will end up like kickboxing. Be great to just get the 5 or 6 major promoters to agree to use the unified rules. That'd be a start

Romeoblood
17-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I think the whole elbow/no elbows thing could be worked round quite easily

UFC allow elbows on the floor so UKMMA should so

simples!

Temeura
17-09-2010, 01:33 PM
I think the whole elbow/no elbows thing could be worked round quite easily

UFC allow elbows on the floor so UKMMA should so

simples!

Get out!! and take your logic with you!

PointyShinyBurning
17-09-2010, 01:48 PM
FYI a lot of pros fight on Unliscenced shows under different names to make up there money.
You can get away with that, still? I thought someone told he there'd been a crackdown, but I may be imagining it.

mickholdaway
17-09-2010, 02:01 PM
I dont think there is a question of anyone wanting one or not.. I think its more along the lines that people want one they can trust and rely on... reading through that, its nothing more than what we have now... if you have a complaint write to the promoter within 72 hours.. sorry, why the promoter if we have a governing body? do any of you understand even what a governing body is?

then there is the fact they want a unified rule set for the UK, yet UCMMA, OMMAC, BAMMA and CW all have different rules... all of them but UC allow elbows to the head on floor, CW and BAMMA do 5x5, ommac and UC dont...
the 5x5 rule is not really a problem for shows to decide on to make this work, but the elbows to the head will.. so someone has got to give, and UC have made it clear they have no intention of adding elbows, and all the other wish to do the US standard of unified rules. so that right away is an obstacle. no one is going to give in on that.

things like people have pointed out, 2 corner men.. doesnt make sense. (2 corner men only allowed in the cage between rounds, thats different, but it doesnt say that, so we can only assume that it means the former) the 10 point must system with no 10-10 round..... why are people acting like there is zero fault with anything on their list, because DoD says so? it baffles me, why people act so blinded at times they either dont, or feel they cant have an opinion, because of the possible consequences if it upsets certain people. there are some very obvious things that need to be addressed, and it seems the easy thing for people to do, is say that those who question dont want a GB, or don't know what they are talking about.

I think people like myself and Marc Goddard, Ian Dean and Chris Zorba, are so PRO governing body, that we will question these things, because we want one so badly, and we want one done right. whats wrong with people pointing out obvious faults? why does everything have to have some kind of hate campaign against it? why cant it just be, erm, I have some questions, a, b, c, d, e... please explain.. but I guess its easier for you guys to just say stuff like, put your support where your mouth is!!! why should people support something that they dont think is very solid or seems to understand the sport?

also, hasnt dave come out and said he isnt involved with this? so why are people going on like he is? or is he, is he more involved than he says and I missed something?
people really dont see a problem with a promoter running a GB? really, no one sees the problem with that?
it isnt dave, if it was Chris Zorba who di it, who I get on with very well with, I would say the exact same thing, I wouldn't like it, and neither would alot of people. its wrong on so many levels.. it would be nothing worse than Jimmy wallhead fighting at cage warriors, ian dean weighing him in, and his opponent not seeing, and then ian saying, yeah he made weight ok... there would always be a little doubt as to if he did or not as his manager is the promoter..... this would happen with shows big ticket sellers and promoters close friend/fighters. it leaves it open to so much critisism. yet not one person seems to even think about these things...

people are so desperate for a commission, it seems they will just agree to th first one that comes along with a website and a highly respected promoter says, these guys look ok... well, you can either look at the site and have an opinion and say it, or not if you feel threatening txt and calls might come your way, or, you can just go, yep, that must be good because someone said so..

no one is saying, fuck these guys, dont deal with them, I think people have said, these guys have got some serious questions and points that need to be answered. and guess what, no one has done yet.. so do we want a commission that doesnt answer questions? but saying that, any appeals you have, dont bother them with it, I mean, its not the commissions job :confused:

I agree with you also James but i feel that these things can be sorted once the body is under way. Once a body of poeple get together it is only a matter of time before teething problems are all sorted out. The problem is getting them together to start with. Failure to do so will mean the this may well be another one that slips away until there is no one who wants to try it again.

Romeoblood
17-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Get out!! and take your logic with you!

Whats wrong with that logic?

Bearing in mind the whole of soctland already run with elbows on the floor allowed

and that some of the big shows already use this

AND the biggest MMA promotion in the world uses this rule set?

Temeura
17-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Sorry, I always have to humour on the internet -

Do not attempt humour

Do not attempt humour

I struggle in the real world, on the internet, it just fucking chaos!

Romeoblood
17-09-2010, 02:29 PM

Do not attempt humour

Do not attempt humour

lol, no worries

boxingbrit
17-09-2010, 02:41 PM
You can get away with that, still? I thought someone told he there'd been a crackdown, but I may be imagining it.

There seems to be atleast one pro doing it at every unliscenced show i'm at.

Jay Evans
17-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Do not attempt humour

Do not attempt humour

I got your humour :D

Romeo shame on you!

Romeoblood
17-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I got your humour :D

Romeo shame on you!

I wasnt sure if he was being funy or not

I hate the internet's lack of tone, its sometimes hard to tell if someone is joking or not :(

MrHillman
17-09-2010, 03:06 PM
shut it u nob

Rosi
17-09-2010, 03:08 PM
My personal belief is that any governing body for the sport in the UK can žonly work if it is run by an elected council that represents its members. Anything imposed from outside is going to be rejected.

I'm still trying to get interest together in a joint project - and happy to work together with any groups out there at the moment, providing they are both not for profit and agree on the idea of elected representatives.

I have a few people I'm trying to speak to at the moment... lots of stuff on my plate right now so things are moving slowly. Anyone who wishes to get on board and help with the project is very welcome :)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=153336941346126&ref=ts

MrHillman
17-09-2010, 03:15 PM
positive stuff Rosi, had noticed the facebook group before. lots of interest

lee_whitehead
17-09-2010, 03:33 PM
I think it will end up like kickboxing. Be great to just get the 5 or 6 major promoters to agree to use the unified rules. That'd be a start

I am confused.... Ultimate Challenge puts on UK1 bouts with 4oz MMA gloves?

moogie101
17-09-2010, 03:36 PM
A lot of people seem to be focusing on the elbows on the ground.
Why?

In the US the top two groups are UFC & Strikeforce. the UFC allows elbows on the ground whilst SF doesn't, both are in the commission with unified rules but SF still doesn't allow elbows.
Surely a same thing could work here with the adoption of the Unified rules but with Organisations allowed 'slight' differences. Might not be ideal but clearly works in the uSA & might be the way forwards.

I'd have thought the main problem though is that Promoters are essentially business rivals & sadly unlikely to work together.

James-w
17-09-2010, 03:41 PM
I am confused.... Ultimate Challenge puts on UK1 bouts with 4oz MMA gloves?

1 min mark - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKrRnZlWufE

James-w
17-09-2010, 03:47 PM
A lot of people seem to be focusing on the elbows on the ground.
Why?

In the US the top two groups are UFC & Strikeforce. the UFC allows elbows on the ground whilst SF doesn't, both are in the commission with unified rules but SF still doesn't allow elbows.
Surely a same thing could work here with the adoption of the Unified rules but with Organisations allowed 'slight' differences. Might not be ideal but clearly works in the uSA & might be the way forwards.

I'd have thought the main problem though is that Promoters are essentially business rivals & sadly unlikely to work together.
you can take a rule from a set of rules but you cant add rules... this is the problem. these guys are saying NO ELBOWS.... thats it, no elbows. thats every other UK show who will have to sit and rethink the rules and where they wanna go.. if it allowed elbows, and then UC said, well, we dont want to use them.. its no problem... they can apply to the commision for the commission to grant it... and why would a commission turn down the aplication for a rule to be changed like this?

and I think the biggest problems are actually other things, like the idea of the 10 point must system, that clearly the person who gave them this info doesnt have a clue.. and the other little things, they all add up

iandean
17-09-2010, 03:50 PM
As James said you can apply to the State Commissions in advance to get things like elbows taken away.

Best example i can think of is Pride asking the NSAC for permission not to allow elbows in their two Vegas events. Bellator do the same with the tourney bouts (no elbows until the final).

Why people are so keen to have to change the basic set-up of the "Unified rules of MMA" here in the UK puzzles me.

Be interesting to see how this pans out as i don't believe a governing body can be legitimate when it is guided by an existing promoter

payner
17-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Long term it can only be good for the sport, it may even bring it to the attention of the masses, something we have all been hoping for for a very long time.
There have been numerous notices of intent, ideas & invitations to assist with a GB, now it seems it could turn into reality, for sure all of the people all of the time will be not be pleased, there are bound to be teething problems, supporting, giving ideas & input from all interested parties etc is going to make it work in time.
It does not matter who chairs it or runs it as long as the greater good for UK MMA is achieved without bias, give it a chance.

Chris.