PDA

View Full Version : Thai Boxing Classes - Triplema

ManchesterChris
15-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Hello to everybody that reads this message.

We're considering starting a Thai Boxing class at the gym and wondered if there were many people out there that would be interested?

We've recently been running Kickboxing classes on a monday and wednesday for an competition that is this coming sunday. With the competition over, there has been thought of switching focus to Thai Boxing.

What are your thoughts and what would you prefer to see?

bravo321
16-10-2010, 09:38 AM
who is going to teach the thai boxing classes??

ManchesterChris
16-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Mike Furse would be coaching the classes.

d0ugbug
16-10-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't think you can get better Muay Thai than Eagles Gym in cardiff in my opinion anyway!

ManchesterChris
16-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Fair enough, Dougbug. I've not been there, so cannot comment. We wish Eagles Gym every success though.

d0ugbug
16-10-2010, 02:28 PM
It wasnt a dig Chris, just my 2p

ManchesterChris
16-10-2010, 02:31 PM
It's alright, mate. I didn't think it was :-)
Have a great weekend!

We're at a Kickboxing competition on sunday - hopefully post some good news when we get back about the results!

bravo321
16-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Mike furse is NOT a thai coach and has no rights teaching it.. and triplema is a mcdojo...the end

ManchesterChris
16-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Thank you, Bravo. Your comments would always be welcome here.

Mike has been teaching a Kickboxing class recently, which is a class I (and others) enjoy. There has been talk of starting a Thai Boxing class. Now, I admit that it is an assumption on my part that Mike would be coaching. This may not be the case.

Anyway, you're welcome (along with anyone else) to train at triplema, or not.

On a personal note, I have attended the gyms of Karl Tanswell (SBG) for mma, Master A and Ronnie Green (in my youner days!) for Muay Thai. I have to say, I am more than happy with training at Triplema under Mike Furse. He's a good guy and experienced Kickboxing coach.

I don't wish to start or get into an argument, so I'll end with wishing you a good and fruitful weekend.

bravo321
16-10-2010, 03:56 PM
your 1st sentence states "We're considering starting a Thai Boxing class at the gym and wondered if there were many people out there that would be interested?"
IT IS NOT THAI BOXING IF A KICK BOXING COACH IS TEACHING IT.
i am not after an argument but there is a big difference, if you dont agree just pop along to the coal exchange tonight and see for yourself. there will be kickboxing and thai boxing there

ManchesterChris
16-10-2010, 04:06 PM
"Now, I admit that it is an assumption on my part that Mike would be coaching. This may not be the case".

-I posted that in my reply.

I know the difference between Kick and Thai Boxing, so there is no need to school me on the matter. Thank you for your efforts though.

Enjoy your evening at The Coal Exchange

bravo321
16-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Lol chris we both know that mike will be teaching it, the same mike that was teaching submission grappling and then entering NOVICE comps and getting whooped.lol as i stated earlier MCDOJO lol lol lol
anyway dude its nothing personal im sure your pretty cool.
have a great weekend yourself

sirving
17-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Bravo do you train at eagles?

d0ugbug
17-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Sirving, if your looking to go along Lee will make you feel welcome top guy :) He runs a class at the UFC as well every Monday and Wednesday (could be wrong about the days) as well as his own Gym

sirving
17-10-2010, 09:53 AM
hey dougbug, I have heard a lot of good things about Eagles think im gonna head down there in the next week or so.

bravo321
17-10-2010, 11:47 AM
sirving, yes i train at eagles mate. and agree with doug, lee is a top instructor and a top bloke get yourself down there

ManchesterChris
18-10-2010, 10:10 PM
To avoid any arguments I have the following to state:

Triplema were only trying to check out interest in a new Thai Boxing class starting at the gym. As I have appeared to have miscommunicated to the forum, I wish to set the record straight.

Triplema will not be starting up Thai Boxing classes. We will be staying with Kickboxing and Crazy Monkey Defence.

We wish everybody else good luck with what they are doing as gyms. We also hope that your training is going well.

Be blessed.

lee kru
19-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Guys i know the frauds ive been doing Muay Thai since i was 12 years old, i have a house in Thailand and go and learn at least twice a year and i also look after the best bunch of Nak Muay any coach could wish for.

I cant comment on any of the other local coaches qualifications however i know they are not members of the UKMF.
I have had guys coming to me from other gyms who dont even understand basic clinch work. There are loads of commercial clubs, MMA and other Martial Arts looking for muay thai classes to boost their numbers, my coaches/champions are regularly approached to teach elsewhere. Its down to the RESPECT between coach and student thats why we are succesful and my guys stay the course with us.

Muay Thai is not just using punches kicks, elbows and knees on the pads its a whole art form which i have been learning for 26 years and still will learn for a further 26 years.

If TripleMA want to advertise Muay Thai let them do it, if their coach is qualified and experienced great news for Muay Thai locally, if not then it is a piss take and disrespectful and also a deception.

lee kru
19-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Mondays and Thursdays at UFC

Weds and Fridays at my Riverside Blood Sweat and Tears Gym

Check website for details.

More Muay Thai clubs = More fighters = better shows = more Muay Thai exposure.

The Muay Thai must be authentic though otherwise the public will be fooled and decieved

ManchesterChris
24-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Without wishing to start/continue an argument, I feel I must make at least one comment here.

Whilst I may be out of shape now and back in training, I did train in Muay Thai in my younger days, as did my father before me.

My father trained under Master Toddy and trained with Ronnie Green, doing Muay Thai exibitions together. I myself, when much younger, have had the honour of being in classes taken by Ronnie and my father. Taking this into consideration, I must speak out in the favour of Triplema. Master Green is obviously in a class of his own - but I very much enjoy the classes at Triplema and the teaching is of a high standard. The trainers get the best out of me and I'm gaining in ability and fitness. They are good people and good at what they do - that is my experience.

I'm sorry if you don't agree but this is my experierience and I very much enjoy my training there.

lee kru
24-10-2010, 10:49 PM
We are not sayin the classes are not good, any new MT classes in the area are great imo. Just asking about the qualifications and experience as there are loads of frauds out there

Your dad must have trained together with my old trainer Peter Stewart when in manchester with Master Toddy and Ronnie Green.

I was with Ronnie a few months ago on his birthday celebration show at Old Trafford and also with Master Toddy in Thailand during March last year when myself and Ronnies son Lee Green were team coaches/managers for the Welsh and English Amateur Muay Thai teams at the world championships in Bangkok.

Theres not many around who will remember Ronnie Green and his infamous fights against the top Thais of the time.
I may get Ronnie down for a seminar sometime next year.

ManchesterChris
25-10-2010, 12:07 AM
That would be great, to see Ronnie down here! Mate, please make that happen. My dad was dissapointed not to be able to make it to Old Trafford, as he was making the move down to Cardiff at the time.

Lee actually put me in contact with Thakoon Pongsupha (you know him and his gym?), as I was planning a Thai trip until something came up (baby on the way!). I don't "know" Lee and I only really know Ronnie from classes years back and through my dad. I'm not "name dropping" by any stretch, I just have them in my past, you know?

My dad is Ged Pandolfo and he was with Toddy in the early 80's. I think the gym was in Ardwick then - my experience of the gym was when it was in the city center, just off Piccadilly Gardens. I actually had my classes with Ronnie through a gym in Blackely (Selvin Squire and Jeff "don't know his last name").

I'll ask my dad if he remembers Peter. I imagine that he does. The only people he ever mentioned was Ronnie and a lady called Lisa Howarth (think she's changed her name now).

Sorry, I'm waffling now.

Anyway...
Mike Furse that takes our Kickboxing class has 25 years coaching experience and trained under Chris Kent in Brighton. The classes are not strictly Muay Thai in the way I remember it, or how you would say it was. I suppose that it's more like adapted Kickboxing, to include knees and elbows - which I know doesn't make it Muay Thai, but guys in KB classes wanted to include aspects of Muay Thai, so they could use it in MMA (if they ever choose to fight).

I/we do/did not mean to offend any purists out there. If anything, I may myself be guilty of not wording an article on a forum correctly. Please forgive me.