PDA

View Full Version : Moving to London - need a new BJJ/Muay Thai gym

TTG
26-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi everyone, I'm due to move down to London over the summer and would like some advice on which gym I should choose.

I'll be living in Shooters Hill (SE) and will travel into central and east every day.

I've got my eye on London Fight Factory but other suggestions would be really welcome. Emphasis on the BJJ. Muay Thai is sort of on the side.

Someone has suggested Diesel too but I'm a bit confused about their locations (muay thai in one place and BJJ in another?)

Shootfighters is not really an option as it's too far for me.

Thanks for any insight.

Old Scratch
26-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Do you have a priority between BJJ and Muay Thai?

TTG
26-06-2011, 05:49 PM
BJJ is more important for me.

Old Scratch
26-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Shit yeah sorry, you said as much in your first post. Was gonna say Carlsons but then I saw that you're coming from the other side of London so it is perhaps not the best option.

Diesel in Limehouse is great but they focus more on no gi and MMA. If you want to train in the gi then you'd have to join their BJJ place in canary wharf and then pay extra to train muay thai in Limehouse. If you're happy to train no gi then limehouse is one of the best muay thai/MMA gyms around.

Have you considered KO Gym in bethnal green? Their Muay Thai is also top dollar and the MMA side of things is really coming on strong. Along with wrestling, MMA, no gi, they do BJJ in the gi on tuesday and thursday with Nilton Garcia. That dudes BJJ is no joke.

TTG
26-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks for your reply! Honestly I'm more of an MMA spectator. I do BJJ and MT just for fun and treat them like separate hobbies. My current gym only does no gi once a week so as a result I've never tried it. I think I'd rather stick to gi BJJ just because I've no real use for no gi.

Who's the BJJ coach at Diesel? I heard it's a Checkmat affiliate.

Old Scratch
26-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah they're Checkmat. Monstro, Claudio da Silva, Leonardo Queiroz and some other noteworthy black and brown belts coach there I think. Some seriously talented guys for sure.

The Mauler
27-06-2011, 11:53 AM
I live in East London, I make the trip to Carlsons. Would take you less than an hour from where you'd be, and it'd be worth it.

System Addict
27-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Doesn't Walid from Carlsons have an academy out east? I've heard he's one of the most underrated instructors in the country.

Raoh
27-06-2011, 12:21 PM
If you are in east mate , prob best two options are diesel gym or KO gym . Both have top level thai and bjj and easy to get to from where you are .

EdAdlard
27-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Walid is a superb instructor. He runs classes in Stratford, if you can make any of them you will not regret it.

http://www.carlsongraciemataleao.com/index.php

dwarfofdoom
27-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Doen't LSE offer Muay Thai/BJJ?

TTG
27-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys! Will definitely check it out!

LSE as in the uni? I forget if that's part of UofL (where I'll be doing postgrad.) That reminds me I should check out the union.

mainsy
27-06-2011, 04:24 PM
I live east and make the trip to Carlson's, also bit of a Scottish mafia there so you wouldn't feel left out.

jonj
27-06-2011, 05:50 PM
mate, join Diesel! I am not being biased as our black belts are there or they are our affliate but you won't get a better club in the area.

They are a Checkmat affliate with all of the main UK based Checkmat black belts training there. I used to live in Shooters Hill for 20 years and the trip to Diesel is only 15-25 mins depending on traffic. Its a really friendly place too and you can even travel up to us in Strood for extra training if need be. The recent results in tournaments speak for themselves.. Bournemouth BJJ Open 1st place Team and Birmingham NEC Ground Control 1st place team.

ScubaD
27-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm shifting down too. Prob Eastern side of Islington. Was thinking about Roger Gracie's gym but I like to be near the gym if poss. I travel so much with work so anymore commuting than is absolutely necessary gets annoying!
Any advice? Also good gettin a few beers in now and again wi the lads

Raoh
27-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm shifting down too. Prob Eastern side of Islington. Was thinking about Roger Gracie's gym but I like to be near the gym if poss. I travel so much with work so anymore commuting than is absolutely necessary gets annoying!
Any advice? Also good gettin a few beers in now and again wi the lads

mmaclinic or urban kings are very close and both got exellent instructors

jackmcd
27-06-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm just gonna pipe up for my club here, but LFF's got a great head instructor (Marco Canha), beginner's only classes, 2/3 classes a day during the week (including early mornings and afternoons), muay thai, mma, boxing and wrestling classes. The team's real good and brought home a ton of medals from bournemouth. Plus we have a strength and conditioning area.

Our new home is huge and right next to old street station, so pretty accessible from everywhere, including islington.

As with every one of these threads that gets posted, I'd advise checking out every club that you can make it to and deciding which one you like from that.

jonj
28-06-2011, 11:25 AM
As with every one of these threads that gets posted, I'd advise checking out every club that you can make it to and deciding which one you like from that.

+1 - but pick Diesel :) lol

jasmos
28-06-2011, 12:30 PM
I'll repeat the above post and pipe up for LFF too!!
great club, instructors, atmosphere and packed schedule including morning, lunchtime evening and weekend bjj

price-wise there is a significant disparity between some of the london gyms, depending on your circumstances that might be quite relevant

also, if you don't have a car the distance between places in pure mileage terms is deceiving - as much as trying out clubs its probably worthwhile trying out the commute(s)

ScubaD
06-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Checked out the LFF website and it looks good. I've done a bit of mma and a month of gi only. Pretty average white belt I'd say. Really got a background in Thai. I enjoy the gi and would like a healthy mix. Seen that Gracie Garcia is nearby where I'll be staying in Dalston. Also heard about N10 BJJ. Anyone trained at these places? Diesel is gonna be too far away for me I think.

ScubaD
06-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Also. What's the craic with Titan gym? The website won't load but says North London. Heard good things about it. Specificlly Jess Liaudin's coaching (apologies for spelling). Is this still on the go?