PDA

View Full Version : 'head and arm' choke defense

BillyPerry
08-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Ok,

So,

You're rolling, guy passes, sets up head and arm choke then skips to side to apply the pressure.

Am I right in thinking that the best defense is to not let him get this far?

I can't find any vids on YouTube showing a decent defense or escape.

bootneck
09-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Ok,

So,

You're rolling, guy passes, sets up head and arm choke then skips to side to apply the pressure.

Am I right in thinking that the best defense is to not let him get this far?

I can't find any vids on YouTube showing a decent defense or escape.

Yeah try not to let them get that far, and keep them from moving to side control where they want to be, if they get to side, they will start moving upwards to really sink in the choke, so move with them, if they are good tho, they will post a knee on your thigh to stop you moving with them,

Atlasmma
09-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Put your hand of the arm you're getting choked with on your ear, try to stop your bicep from being on your neck. I don't know if I've ever tapped to a head and arm from the top; they don't seem to work that well on me.

Lee Dickson
09-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Exactly as Atlasmma said but also you can try and turn onto your opposite side they are choking you on as they need you reasonably flat for the choke to be tight.

Rob T
09-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Turning away is a bad idea, makes the switch to a side choke easy.

Putting your trapped arm hand to your ear will stop the choke, unless the guy applying it is mega strong, but won't help you escape. I prefer to put my trapped arm hand into a fist, cup it with the other hand and then push the trapped elbow into their head then up and over.

david5
09-06-2012, 09:57 PM
hug your own leg, kick forward then do a backward roll. you're welcome :)

Lee Dickson
09-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Putting your trapped arm hand to your ear will stop the choke, unless the guy applying it is mega strong, but won't help you escape. I prefer to put my trapped arm hand into a fist, cup it with the other hand and then push the trapped elbow into their head then up and over.

I am talking if its already locked in here, I still stand by what I said regardless.

Lee Dickson
09-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Plus I d say turning into them would make it easy to lock up not away.

Rob T
09-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Turning into them isn't gonna happen if it's locked tight, so it's not an issue either way. I've seen guys with a strong bridge manage to get to top side control by bridging into the person applying the choke though... not something I would recommend for the average guy!

I love the head & arm and love it if they try to turn away, side choke all the time then. I actually prefer the side choke on strong guys with big necks.

David's method of hugging the leg works too.

BillyPerry
10-06-2012, 11:31 AM
hug your own leg, kick forward then do a backward roll. you're welcome :)

Any chance of a video? ;)

BillyPerry
10-06-2012, 11:33 AM

Cheers Rob. What do you mean by up and over?

Rob T
10-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Elbow needs to go over the top of their head. Not behind their head though, remember they're lying down so directly over their head will mean moving your elbow closer to the floor. Once you get far enough through it you will be able to turn into them and potentially get halfguard or up to your knees.

As with all escapes though, it's difficult to do against full resistance.

BillyPerry
10-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Cheers Rob. Any chance you could pm with regards to maybe popping over to Wolverhampton and doing a couple hrs with me and the lads. ect.

Daihlo
10-06-2012, 08:13 PM
David5 said it right.
Although you can first bring the hand of the arm they have trapped to your ear, this takes some pressure off and created a small gap for a moment.

Then, bring the leg nearest to them up (bend at knee) then wrap both your hands around it (hug).
Kick out - straighten your leg, your torsoe goes with it and the choke is broken.

Just gotta watch they dont know this as it sets up a nice transition to armbar...

david5
11-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Any chance of a video? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETfiXYZc4Es

david5
11-06-2012, 08:22 PM
i don't like the hand on your ear defense, even for a short time, because i have a counter to that to finish the choke and it stops your other defenses

Jay
11-06-2012, 09:35 PM
i don't like the hand on your ear defense, even for a short time, because i have a counter to that to finish the choke and it stops your other defenses

Yeah, if I've got it locked in I'll normally still finish if someone goes hand to the ear. Levo showed it in great detail at a seminar and I've retained it ever since. Top coach!