PDA

View Full Version : weight training routine?

andymc
19-02-2003, 06:18 PM
hi guys, just wondering what kind of weight training routines you follow.
I got intersted in mma after weight training, i was weight training 4-5 times a week, obviously to train seriously in mma u couldnt do this and have a job too ( well i couldnt as my job is also fairly physical).
Would u just do a full body workout 2-3 times a week and as much martial arts as possible.
Just interested on how u guys do it.

Hywel Teague
19-02-2003, 10:16 PM
personally, i only do weights once a week. this is because i can't fit any more than that in with my present training schedule.

due to the nature of the training i do, i find there is little need to go mad on the weights, this is because a lot of functional strength will be developed through your groundwork ( i believe you train BJJ?).

i also do circuits twice a week so find my strength doesn't suffer too much as that keeps me in shape-

my advice is don't go mad on weights- they can bulk you up, slow you down, cause frequent injuries etc.

a good balance is maybe twice a week with generous amounts of CV thrown in.

have a look at roy harris' (http://www.royharris.com) website and check out the press ups he uses to help his BJJ. i've incorporated them into my training and i find they have definitely helped my shoulders work in different angles.