UMA Submission Grappling Championships
Had a good showing at this no-gi comp at the weekend. We took 3 golds, a couple of silvers and a couple of bronze (if I remember correctly).
Congrats to all the lads but special props to: Pritesh who took -65kg silver, loosing a close final by decision in his first comp. Dave Ives for walking the -85kg division which had 16 guys in it! Ranj, Lewis and Courtney for clearing out all the -75kg competition in the first two rounds so having to fight amoungst themseleves for top 3 spots lol. And Iwan for looking scary good in the +95kg and tapping his oppnents very quickly.
- The price, only 10 pound entry fee :)
- Jim for taking all the risk and actually running an event, more midlands comps the better.
- The juniors, especially the girl in the gi bottoms who was one of the slickest grapplers all day.
- Very safe rules for beginners.
- Lots of competitors and teams there.
- Crap mats. Joins kept coming up and there was no safe area around the outside.
- Fights were a bit too short at 3mins, 4mins at the least would have been better imo.
- Awarding of points was very inconsistent; sometimes a move would score, others times it wouldn't. And the points sytem seemed a little open to interpretation. Jim should delagate a bit and not try to do everything himself!