Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training Clip

For a start, 240 people viewing a post doesn't equate to 240 people viewing the clip, and even if it did mean they watched it, it certainly doesn't prove they gained anything from it.

In fact, I suspect quite a few probably watched it and then thought: "why do you think anyone would want to watch that?"

Which lead to my original reply (which I did in fact ask with a tone of humour so as not to offend) and to which a gentleman's response would have been:

"Well Emmet J, we have started up a new club called AFS in ******. The Instructor is ******* and he thought it might be good for people to see what sort of training we do there, so they can see if they might want to come down."

Otherwise we could all just post clips of ourselves hitting a bag or rolling entitled 'training at the club' and whine when people wondered why we were doing it.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

speziale

Geez, like there's not millions of clips like that.
    They are put up there more for the members of the club anyway - it's useful to see yourself rolling so that you can improve. But I see no harm telling other people about it. If they don't like or gain anything from it then fine, but the internet is a free place.

Applied Fighting Systems is a BJJ and Mixed Martial Arts club in Caterham, Surrey that has been running for over 4 years. The instructor is Steve Haydock, a brown belt under Roberto Atalla. We cater for all ages from about 5 to 65. We have a lot people who train for fun and some people who regularly compete and frequently win medals. So if anyone in the Croydon / Surrey area wants to come down for some top quality training check out the website noted above.

Advert over

Sounds like a good club.

Was the guy in the clip using 'X-guard' near the start, and if so do you guys think it's any good?

To be honest I didn't really know much about it until recently (more a sub-wrestler than a BJJ guy) but I just can't see how useful it is.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet J View Post
    Sounds like a good club.

Was the guy in the clip using 'X-guard' near the start, and if so do you guys think it's any good?

To be honest I didn't really know much about it until recently (more a sub-wrestler than a BJJ guy) but I just can't see how useful it is.
    john kavanagh's pretty good at it, not been seen much in mma yet, draw your own conclusions.

@ the guys who posted the vid: maybe anyone who complaines wants to see more 'interesting' or competitive rolling, as it was the brown belt was obviously going VERY easy and it possibly doesn't have the same widespread appeal as a competitive match? just my thoughts

speziale

Yes he was.
    As a lowly blue belt I probably can't comment, but in my limited experience I think the X-guard is something that seems to fit into some people's game easily whereas others find it's not much use at all. If you use
    open / butterfly guard a lot you might find it's a good place to go to
    (gi or no-gi) to set up sweeps or just as a control position.
    Probs not much use in MMA.

I'd recommend checking out both Saulo and Marcelo Garcia's DVD's on the subject. Stephan Kesting is pretty good too.

david5 - agreed