Thread: Thoughts on sweeteners? (aspartame etc..)

Default Thoughts on sweeteners? (aspartame etc..)

Whats everybody's take on aspartame and other sweeteners? I try to stay away from the stuff in general, but there are some protein products that contain it that i would like to try (reflex instant whey)

My main concern is that they encourage your sweet tooth a bit, rather than if you cut out anything sweet tasting you will not crave it after a while.

As for the brain cancer stories, pretty crappy evedence behind them, rats fed something like 200 times what you would consume, all day every had high cases of brain cancer. Any susbstance super dosed for long periods won't be good for you, vitamins, amino acids, etc etc.

BADOG

some sweetners contain mono sodium glutamate {MSG} loads of people have an allergy to this stuff and dont know it, side efects include bloating,head aches and lethargy the list goes on, some reports suggest it causes parkinsons.

if you feel odd this could be it.

I believe MSG is also the stuff found in junk food that makes you really thirsty.

Weren't some groups calling for a ban on aspartame a while back? Matt, where did you find your evidence, I'd like to view it for my own piece of mind.

IMO i wouldn't have the Reflex instant whey if you want something that is nice.

I dont know about the other flavours but the choco-mint one is SICK!
    I had it and used it ones and its still in my kitchen
    Not nice stuff.

Sorry its a bit off the point

Tomatohead

Quote Originally Posted by Sports-Select.co.uk View Post
    My main concern is that they encourage your sweet tooth a bit, rather than if you cut out anything sweet tasting you will not crave it after a while.

As for the brain cancer stories, pretty crappy evedence behind them, rats fed something like 200 times what you would consume, all day every had high cases of brain cancer. Any susbstance super dosed for long periods won't be good for you, vitamins, amino acids, etc etc.
    finally somethin we agree on lol. I sooner stay away from sucralose than aspartame, and i think there is a few trains of thought that suggest aspartame help the protein bond with muscle tissue i remeber this vaigley so might not be right.

I try and avoid aspartame. OK it may not give me brain cancer but there are many other sides associated with it, I definately felt addicted to it at one time and it just hasn't been in the food chain long enough for me to trust. I like CNP, Extreme Nutrition and Labrada as most of their supplements don't have it in.

Tomatohead

im a fan of cnp 2 think they are great prods also love eas and bsn @ the minute but i change my mind like change my underwear about every 2 months lol

Excel

Apparently it puts holes in your head. I know when I've had a supplement with Aspartame I get bad headaches, so I'd rather not have any supplements with Aspartame.