Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brock Lesner in MMA

Default Brock Lesner in MMA

I am keen to know what your thoughts are on how Brock Lesner will do in MMA.

My thoughts are as follows:

The bloke is a natural athlete and a more explosive athlete at his size and weight is going to be very difficult to find in a combat sport. We all know about his NCAA records so his takedowns and control will be top notch.

I believe his training regime is very intense and that he is one of these guys who just loves to train, like a few people on here no doubt. That should indicate that he won't gas too early*, even with that amount of muscle mass.*As long as he can control the adrenelin dump - strong use of "The Duck technique" for you Geoff Thompson fans :-)

His striking and submission games are where he is, IMO, most likely to fall down. He is fighting HMC as his first MMA contest who is no walk in the park. Even Jerome Le B gave him props for his striking. Can Lesner take a good shot? Well, I guess we will have to wait and see but one thing is for certain, he has got the physical attributes to do so (read here, "a huge noggin") Just like Cabbage and Hunt...

He has spent time training with MFS, where Miletich rated him very hightly and then spent some time with Royce Gracie. Recently I believe he has been training out of Sean Sherks gym in Minnesota. If he has the same work ethic as Sherk does, he will be full prepaired.

I am going to stick my neck out here and say that I believe he will become a real dominant force in MMA. I think he will be able to make 265 and therefore compete as a HW. I reckon he will have a double leg shot that very few will be able to defend and use the GnP stuff... I predict that he will lose one or two early matches by submission due to not being experienced enough to spot the set ups but as he gets better and better, he will become the biggest force in the MMA HW division.

Your thoughts?

Da muss

With Brock im not sure THB

I watched that showtime countdown thing last night and it shows 20 mins on him training etc and it loooked like i wasnt really doing much apart from wrestling.

The guy he is fighting is no chump and has has crazy KO power.

Im looking forward to watch him fight
    Team Rough House - UKs no1 fight team

I look forward to seeing the fight, I just get the impression he is unsure what he is really a stepping into. Same with Kurt Angle.

Slight deviation: could you use any leglocks from pro wrestling (sharpshooter, figure four leglock etc.) in MMA. I was pissing about with some mates the other day being pro wrestlers like when we were kids (excepted we were pissed as kids), and those locks fucking hurt.

I get a feeling I am going to get flamed lol.

Those leg lock DO hurt but I think its more that it takes a lot more time to set them up and therefore easier to counter or block.... Didn't Dan Bobish try to use a pro wrestling throw on Igor once? Picked him up by one leg?

I'd love to see someone use the Angle Slam in MMA, that would be killer. I see where your coming from Da Muss, like a figure four takes a fair few seconds to set up and the target individual needs to be in a real ideal position.

How about a shooting starpress of the top of the cage lol?

Quote Originally Posted by lovegrove View Post
    I look forward to seeing the fight, I just get the impression he is unsure what he is really a stepping into. Same with Kurt Angle.

Slight deviation: could you use any leglocks from pro wrestling (sharpshooter, figure four leglock etc.) in MMA. I was pissing about with some mates the other day being pro wrestlers like when we were kids (excepted we were pissed as kids), and those locks fucking hurt.

I get a feeling I am going to get flamed lol.

lol

yes you'll get flamed but some moves you can get

e.g Ankle lock is just a toe hold. and ive seen things like half boston crabs used

However

If you ever try things like figure 4 leglocks against people that are resisting it is almost impossible. But techincally they will work if you can get to that position
    Team Rough House - UKs no1 fight team

Ok cool thanks.

i havent been doing mma for that long but before i started i was a big wwf fan and i wrestled wwf style with my mates alot. i think it helped me a little bit when it cae 2 my first training session but not that much.

Lesner dose have a good wrestling background though and if he gets the take down he could propably just lie on top of some one for 3 rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    lol

yes you'll get flamed but some moves you can get

e.g Ankle lock is just a toe hold. and ive seen things like half boston crabs used

However

If you ever try things like figure 4 leglocks against people that are resisting it is almost impossible. But techincally they will work if you can get to that position
    yeah i was gonna say a figure 4 leg lock (in pro wrestling, a figure 4 leglock in mma it just a toehold) is just a variation of a kneebar. the only problem of it being impossible to setup in a real fight. but once its on it would work.

sharpshooter boston crabs ect I would gess would be illegal anyways because they attank the spine, not that they would work anyways...
    Don't hang around under bridges if your scared of being trolled!

http://www.facebook.com/jacksexton1989

Quote Originally Posted by Seca Sec View Post
    yeah i was gonna say a figure 4 leg lock (in pro wrestling, a figure 4 leglock in mma it just a toehold) is just a variation of a kneebar. the only problem of it being impossible to setup in a real fight. but once its on it would work.

sharpshooter boston crabs ect I would gess would be illegal anyways because they attank the spine, not that they would work anyways...
    re: sharpshooters etc. of course, I see where you are coming from. You would gain massive kudos if you successfully pulled off a sweet figure four leg lock in a fight.