Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight cutting

wolfpack_mma

Default weight cutting

if you have a fight in a weeks time at 90kg's is it a good thing to be 94kg now? any help on this issue would be welcomed

2 Sexy Co-Founder
    Has Grit, lots of it

Should be a dawdle to make weight, especially if it's a day before weigh-in.

Assuming it's a day before weigh in, drink lots and lots of water and cut out as much carbs as possible starting now, do at least 20 minutes cardio morning and evening.

24 hours before the weigh in don't drink any more water, food will depend on what weight you're at.

You might have to spend some time in a sauna to lose the last Kg or so (though 4kgs in a week shouldn't be hard) which is fine if it's a day before weigh in and you have gone to the pharmacy to buy pedialyte or some other product for rehydrating babies.

If it's not a day before weigh in DON'T use the sauna to cut weight, diet harder now and try to be within a Kg of the weight 24hours before

DROC
    "You've got a lot of opinions for someone who's not on there!"
    Michael Bisping
    "Showed a lot of grit" - Ian Butlin

I AM AFFILIATED TO MMAES

Does anybody have any articles on how to cut weight properly?? or is there any other ways of doin it sensibly?? I tend to just skip with alot of clothes & sweat suit before the weigh in, but its pretty hard when you have to lose 5Kgs!!

wolfpack_mma

cheers dudes

2 Sexy Co-Founder
    Has Grit, lots of it

Do a search on here, you should find a thread about weight cutting that I made based on advice from Chris Brennan.

DROC
    Michael Bisping

I AM AFFILIATED TO MMAES

2 Sexy Co-Founder
    Has Grit, lots of it

It seems the thread was lost when the site went down, so here's the content.

DROC

Cutting weight with a day before weigh in

Method

Get to within 8-10 lbs/3-4Kg of of the weight with your diet, then cut the rest in water

2 weeks out

Training

Cardio in the morning before eating, cardio in the evening after your last meal

Morning and evening:
    20 minutes on the treadmill before you sleep or if that isn't possible try 3X5 rounds of jump rope. Even the bike, just so you are burning calories after eating and making your body work before sleeping.

Drink at least a gallon (4 litres) of water a day, always keep a bottle of water in your hand so that you're sure you're drinking at least a gallon.

Sample Diet 1 (LEMon, the guy who made the thread)

Breakfast:
    Oatmeal with half a banana and a scoop of whey. Water and a cup of green tea.

Snack:
    Almonds/dates and some more water.

Lunch:
    Usually a salad with grilled salmon or chicken (best to stick with chicken - Advice given on the thread).

Snack:
    Maybe a ryvita cracker and some more almonds and some fruit.

Dinner (not after 6pm):
    Chicken or fish, (chicken's generally better) with salad or rice. (Salad is lighter but Rice give's you more energy to train - response by Chris)

Optional :
    Flaxseed oil and 2-3 glasses of green tea before bed.

Sample Diet 2 (What Chris is eating in preparation for his fight against Kawajiri)

Meal 1:
    1 Packet Kashi Oatmeal (Truly vannilla)

Meal 2:
    1, 4oz banana, 1 table spoon natural Peanutbutter

Meal 3:
    4 oz ground beef 98/2 best or 96/4 acceptable and 1/2 cup brown rice

Meal 4:
    1 scoop of protein

5 days out

Increase your water intake, drink 1.5 -2 gallons (6 to 8 litres) a day

24 hours before the weigh in

You put on Albolene, (You rub it all over your body, especially in your arm pits, you neck, and your ass crack, These are the places that heat up most.) and then the plastics. On top of that you should put on some sweats and sweatshirt. Sometimes I will put on a jacket on top. You will either jump rope, run, shadow box, or sit in a sauna and shadow box. I do five minute rounds for about 30 minutes. Sit around for the next 30 and let it pour out of you. You should lose about 3-4lb every session.

Do one session right before you go to sleep the night before the weigh in. Another one when you wake up, and if need be one more about 1.5 hours before the weigh-ins.

Note: A lot of other people believe that you should ONLY use the sauna the day of the weigh-in as you want to be dehydrated for the shortest amount of time possible.

AFTER WEIGH-INS:

Start to sip on Pedialyte (Note: a product for rehydrating babies who have had diarrohea or Gastro) until you finish one of the large bottles or a couple of the smaller ones. After weigh-ins I will slowly begin drinking for about 30 minutes and then start to eat a bit.

Eat some wheat bread to keep your stomach settled and then begin to start putting chicken, rice and pasta back in your body. Protein bars are ok as well and then EVERYTHING.Once you are sick to your stomach chill for a while until you lose about 5 pounds in the restroom (not really 5) and your stomach will relax.

You should be pounding the water until you finish a gallon the same night after weigh-ins.

Note: Your piss will get darker while you are cutting and you don't want to let it get brownish because that is kidney problems.

As you are re-hydrating you wanna keep drinking a ton of water until your piss is getting to be clear again and then you will know that you are re-hydrated fully again. After cutting so much water you usually won't piss for until you are almost 3/4 of a gallon back in your body. Continue to drink water ALL night, meaning when you wake up in the middle of the night to piss, drink more.

Day of Fight

I always eat some Pancakes in the morning for some good carbs. I will kind of go back on my regular diet after breakfast but just increase the amounts a bit. Don't get sick the day of, so eat in moderation and use the restroom (very necessary). Eat some fruit also through out the day. Begin to back off as the event gets closer so you are not bloated and feel bogged down. I don't know if these are all scientifically correct but it has worked for me many times.
    Michael Bisping

I AM AFFILIATED TO MMAES

2 Sexy Co-Founder
    Has Grit, lots of it

TTT for cutting weight (cheating)
    Michael Bisping

I AM AFFILIATED TO MMAES

Got a simular article for same day weigh in?
    "When you're not training; somebody else is training to kick your ass."
    Part of Team Savage. Trained by Alex 'The Boy' Owen:
    http://www.teamsavage.co.uk/

Engine

Same Day?

Really you should be fighting at a weight that you can walk around at. For the simple reason that you won't have time to re-carb or re-hydrate in between weigh in and fight time.

This should inly apply to Amateur fights, so shouldn't be too much of a problem

boxingbrit

Cheating weight cutting mutherfuckers