Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: political question about water

Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    if water is a natural occurence and comes from the sky.
    and there are people who end up in debt because of their water bill.
    would it not make sense to provide it as a non profit making service and have the bill taken out of your wages in the same way tax is?
    I work for a water company and it's vile how we bill people and make that kind of profit.
    I'm fucking sick and looking for a solution
    Correct, water is a natural occurence... So go drink from a stream or a river!

The fact that its natural is irrelevant, your not paying for the actual 'substance', your paying for the delivery of of the substance, i.e. processing , desalination, cleaning, maintenance etc.

Couldnt comment on the profit bit cos I dont know how much they make, but I agree on the 'not for profit' bit, or at least a higher degree of government intervention and regulation.

It is against the law for the water board to cut off your water supply.........so just dont pay, you might get blacklisted etc but you will still have water

Quote Originally Posted by Jollio View Post
    It is against the law for the water board to cut off your water supply.........so just dont pay, you might get blacklisted etc but you will still have water
    it it's taken out in taxes, you won't have to worry about getting blacklisted my friend.
    And yes, we take them to court, the old, the young, the handicapped, we rob them all.
    Each new hour holds a new beginning, a new horizon; offering us space to place new steps to change

Do what us real Scottish folk do. Drink your own piss. Problem solved. Pussies.
    Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here. This stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me.

Quote Originally Posted by csmith07 View Post
    Do what us real Scottish folk do. Drink your own piss. Problem solved. Pussies.
    yeah, but even you scots are bottling it and calling it irn bru.. you are no different to the water boards..
    Each new hour holds a new beginning, a new horizon; offering us space to place new steps to change

Ha ha ha. I prefer diet. Less syrupy!
    Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here. This stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me.

Diet Bru? 'Full fat' Irn Bru or no Bru at all!

Hmmm no, it gives me wind.......

Nobody pays for water, it is completely and utterly free. However if you want someone to capture it, store it, filter and purify it and then deliver it directly to your home then this is a service you can pay for.

nationalising the water system would not solve the problems. In general private companies run things cheaper and more efficiently. Furthermore privatisation of the water supply opened up greater investment - when it was nationalised (i.e. pre-1989) the pipe system was in a shite state, since privatisation leakages have gone down massively due to increased investment which central government cannot provide.

Nationalising industries is not usually the right answer, for the most part private companies work better. Profit isn't a dirty word, it is a sign of good practice, in the case of utilities there are the Regulartory authorities (eg OfWat, OfCom) who prevent excessive profiteering/inferior service levels etc. Brad however is massively wrong about the health service, it should not all be private. Plus Im not sure if Maggie T was the best PM since Churchill but she is pretty close.