Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Banthem Weight: is it worth it?

Default UK Banthem Weight: is it worth it?

Just thought I would put this question to you guys, really to hear your thoughts and opinions.

I posted my highlight reel a couple weeks ago and recieved all positive feedback. Because of this I have decided to think seriously about fighting again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7nSwT8mYxY

I am 6-2-1 at Amateur, and 4-0-0 at semi-pro, as well as this I was the Gracie Invitational 2006 gold medalist at blue belt in BJJ. I have not fought MMA for 18 months due to opening my full-time school and devoting more time on my BJJ game.

At 31 years old and now a BJJ purple belt with a group of students now to help me, do you guys think it would be worth me doing it Professionally? I was fighting before at featherweight but feel that the Bantham weight class would suit me better. I am already a huge fan of Paul McVeigh and know he is the champion at this weight but I want to know how often is this weight actually featured on the big shows such as CageWarriors and FX3 etc. would there be fights out there, and I want to do this properly so what are the titles availible here in the UK?

Thanks for reading this.

This could also be Titled UK MMA is it really worth it?

It's very hard to get guys at 61.2kg. But Promoters only know who is out there when fighters and gym's and managers tell them. I dont think fighters and the like do a good enough job when it comes to self promotion

Pro Fighter
    Chris Garry

Definitely a place for 61kg Bantamweight class. Its gotta explode sooner or later, surely.
    Boxing has many lower weight groups, so as far as I can see it is only a matter of time. Even big organisations are bound to include more weight groups not just below 155lbs but in between existing weight groups too.

As for you personally, fighting on and making a comeback, only you can answer that question. You clearly have the cred, the thing you really need to ask youself is... 'do you wanna be a fighter!!!'
    Dont be surprised when they quit; be surprised when they dont!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    'do you wanna be a fighter!!!'
    I'll think you'll find that's 'do you wanna be a FUCKING fighter!!!' (I got evil's big style for shouting that at people at the UFC 72 after party).

On topic - go for it dude, what have you got to lose? You've obviously put a lot of thought into it, you know it'll just knaw at you if you don't do it!

If you're not sure, just ease into it no pressure; just do some fight conditioning, see how you feel, mma sparring, see how you feel, try your weight cut, take a fight you should win etc. That's all obvious stuff, but don't put the pressure on yourself of 'must take McVeigh's crown within 12 months' or anything or you won't enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by kainer2 View Post
    I dont think fighters and the like do a good enough job when it comes to self promotion
    Interesting point Kainer, would you please elaborate
    For great training in Sydney, Australia go to www.bondidojo.com.au for excellent, BJJ, MMA and Muay Thai

No PRIDE. No Life

banatmweight should take off, theres a lot of guys like me who compete at feather but can make bantamweight, no one will touch mcveigh at this weight though for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by FNG View Post
    Interesting point Kainer, would you please elaborate
    Well i don't think they do enough to get themselves noticed or promote themselves correctly.

I don't have a great database base of UK fighters wanting to fight on CW, yet i get guys begging me to fight on CW from aboard. Guys who are in my opinion better, easier to work with and are far more professional.

I find it FAR more frustrating matching UK fighters up than i do internationals and if i had more money and potential ticket sales at my disposal, there would be far more foreign fighters on CW cards which i believe would result in better matches

* by internationals i mean European fighters not "big name" US, Brazilian and Japanese fighters

Quote Originally Posted by simonjkd View Post
    Just thought I would put this question to you guys, really to hear your thoughts and opinions.

I posted my highlight reel a couple weeks ago and recieved all positive feedback. Because of this I have decided to think seriously about fighting again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7nSwT8mYxY

I am 6-2-1 at Amateur, and 4-0-0 at semi-pro, as well as this I was the Gracie Invitational 2006 gold medalist at blue belt in BJJ. I have not fought MMA for 18 months due to opening my full-time school and devoting more time on my BJJ game.

At 31 years old and now a BJJ purple belt with a group of students now to help me, do you guys think it would be worth me doing it Professionally? I was fighting before at featherweight but feel that the Bantham weight class would suit me better. I am already a huge fan of Paul McVeigh and know he is the champion at this weight but I want to know how often is this weight actually featured on the big shows such as CageWarriors and FX3 etc. would there be fights out there, and I want to do this properly so what are the titles availible here in the UK?

Thanks for reading this.

I know at least 2 very good guys who could fight bantam weight. Has to be worth it.

Iv got a "Big Name". 4 sylables
    For great training in Sydney, Australia go to www.bondidojo.com.au for excellent, BJJ, MMA and Muay Thai

No PRIDE. No Life

Quote Originally Posted by FNG View Post
    Iv got a "Big Name". 4 sylables
    ??????????????