Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Benoit and family pass away...

wasnt his wife
    and yes she died as result of an accident..but he didnt 'kill her'

I'm gutted about Benoit, I was at wrestlemania 20 when he won the HW championship, and after being a wwe fan for so long it was awesome (I know it's all pre-determined, so save all that shit). Between him and Kurt Angle they made all other wrestlers work harder at their in ring performance just by being so dedicated to what they were doing, and regardless of what storylines they're peddling now I can guarantee you that the quality of the matches are both better than they ever were before Benoit and Angle, but also no where near as exciting as they were when these guys were around.

It's unfortunate that the life of pro wrestlers always ends up a mess, Jake "The Snake" Roberts is a perfect example, and it's known how much of a mess Steve Austin is. I don't think it's any one incident in particular (such as Eddie's death) that might send someone like Benoit off the rails, but more of living that kind of life for so long. Working and travelling 45-50 weeks a year, performing twice a day, and I can imagine that having to deal with stroylines as intensely as they do that it must have an effect. The other thing is that when they get to a certain age, there's nothing else they can do career wise, but they'll have done so much damage to their body that they can't stop no matter how much danger they're putting themselves in (Kurt Angle, for example). So a catch 22 like that could probably mess up a lot of people.

RIP.

you could say the same about any professional athlete - they all have a short shelf life and no where to go after - except coaching or commentary

i have a mate who plays rugby for warrington wolves and Great Britain, is 26, and is already learning how to be a plasterer as he knows he has maybe 4 good years left - and hes one of the best in the world.

the thing with pro wrestling is that if you really want to get to a decent level than you're not going to be able to train anything else "just in case", as all your time's going to be spent wrestling in small shitty shows and so on. I'm not by any means dissing other athletes as I know they will all feel stress and possibly the worry of not knowing what to do after their career is over, but I just think there's something different about pro wrestling, especially for Americans. You see in numerous docs the amount of people who give up early to start a regular career because they just don't have the mony or other resources to keep going. And I really think that at the top level (WWE, maybe TNA) the constant intensity for these guys, day in day out, is like nothing you'd get in another sport/entertainment industry).

Default RIP Chris

Quote Originally Posted by OLDBOY View Post
    I'm gutted about Benoit, I was at wrestlemania 20 when he won the HW championship, and after being a wwe fan for so long it was awesome (I know it's all pre-determined, so save all that shit). Between him and Kurt Angle they made all other wrestlers work harder at their in ring performance just by being so dedicated to what they were doing, and regardless of what storylines they're peddling now I can guarantee you that the quality of the matches are both better than they ever were before Benoit and Angle, but also no where near as exciting as they were when these guys were around.
    Couldn't agree more, Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle made WWE worth watching. Shame he had to go out like this.

RIP Chris

there are very few success stories in pro wrestling. hulk hogan and the rock aside, those who make it out with pretty much everything (physically and mentally) intact are few and far between.

i'm intrigued as to the details surrounding it (did he really murder them at the weekend and then do himself on monday? or was it a gas leak/poisoning as has been rumoured?) but these deaths are all becoming one in a very long line. its like you're waiting to see who will be next
    Strategy can subsitute for talent, but talent will never subsitute for strategy.

"Sometimes hype just isn't enough" Jens Pulver

he was called home for a 'family emergency'...so seems unlikely it was a gas leak...as that would be the most unlucky thing ever. it definatley seems premeditated. pretty sure its either benoit killing everyone. or 'woman' killing his son, then benoit does her and himself in.

pretty sure there are lots of pro wrestlers who are alive and doing very well eg Jesse Ventura, Brisco's, Goldberg.....there are laods

tho i agree there are a fare few who are in the shit as well

see http://www.wwe.com/superstars/wherearetheynow/ for a few lads who are alive and kicking

Fucked up. Maybe lets wait for the investigation to close. We all know the death of cricket coach Bob Woolmer was handled wrongly to start with.

bob woolmer died of natural causes. sad about chris i loved watching him wrestle. i was surprised to see that most of the wrestlers that where huge in the 80s and 90s are broke now and doing jobs like car salesman and that. you'd think they would of earnt loads.

i forgot about jesse, he is also doing well for himself. goldberg is alive (around) but not doing a great deal imo.
    Strategy can subsitute for talent, but talent will never subsitute for strategy.

"Sometimes hype just isn't enough" Jens Pulver