Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jitsu foundation

I am and have been trainning with the TJF for five years.

If you are looking to get into cage fighting/mma then you would be better off training elsewhere.

The TJF style is half-way between Aikido and Judo is focused more on self-defence and "art" side of martial arts. We do alot of throwing from weapons and we do no no-gi work at all.

As for the no-resistance thing, they are not training properly (ie they should be resisting) and they are suppposed to be hitting you with knees and elbows before they throw.

The groundfighting has gotten alot better in the Foundation in the past few years however even our best guys would only be high blues/low purples in bjj (and there are only a handful out of the 100s of blackbelts that are any good on the ground).

I would consider myself one of the better newaza guys in London and I am not eve blue belt in bjj.

The hiereachy/politics thing is a pain in the arse but I don't think it is any different to bjj in that respect.

That said I would defo try it out, its alot better than most of the Traditional arts out there.

Yo Little Dan is that you DDT aka "Sexy Boy"

Thanks for the feedback guys

LittleDan

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dwarfofdoom View Post
    I am and have been trainning with the TJF for five years.

If you are looking to get into cage fighting/mma then you would be better off training elsewhere.

The TJF style is half-way between Aikido and Judo is focused more on self-defence and "art" side of martial arts. We do alot of throwing from weapons and we do no no-gi work at all.

As for the no-resistance thing, they are not training properly (ie they should be resisting) and they are suppposed to be hitting you with knees and elbows before they throw.

The groundfighting has gotten alot better in the Foundation in the past few years however even our best guys would only be high blues/low purples in bjj (and there are only a handful out of the 100s of blackbelts that are any good on the ground).

I would consider myself one of the better newaza guys in London and I am not eve blue belt in bjj.

The hiereachy/politics thing is a pain in the arse but I don't think it is any different to bjj in that respect.

That said I would defo try it out, its alot better than most of the Traditional arts out there.

Yo Little Dan is that you DDT aka "Sexy Boy"
    yeah you caught me Fahed .... slagging of the foundation again......lol..... its not all bad i know there are some good guys there ....... but for me the cons out weigh the pros...... hey .... who in the foundation is at purple belt standard (in bjj)? is it Saeed?

Take care

DDT Aka Sexyboy

I trained with the TJF from '96 to '03 (Exter and then UCL).

I'd say if you want to do mma or bjj/no-gi, then steer clear, if you want to do a trad ma/self defence want to meet a bunch of nice people/drinking partners and especially if you are a student, then go for it.
    There were some try-hards/d*cks, but there are also a lot of cool people who train there as well.

I'm not sure how the groundfighting has progressed but they had introduced the london league which was quite fun, albeit noone was that great.

I'd say when i left there were obviously a number of people who were at the level of/actually were judo black belts but probably only a handful of people who i had seen at the Randori nationals or LGL who were approaching bjj blue belt level (there were obvious exceptions such as Rosi and some of the other dans) and noone near purple belt level. Saeed was supposed to be pretty good (certainly according to himself) but I had never seen him really roll. He didnt compete in the grappling league the first year but did ref it.

At the time i left, Nigel P and I were probably the best tjf newaza guys in london and i certainly wasn't a bjj blue belt as i found out when i turned up at the Budokwai for my first BJJ lesson with Mauricio

LittleDan

i was training from 2001 to 2004ish at Westminster uni .... top guys but as i said before .... its not for me. Jsho, young man, what be your name? ..... we may have crossed paths.

Nigel P and others like him are the reason i left TJF, very disrespectful...... he may be good, but a good guy he is not.... his wifes a nice lady tho.... don't know how that happened.

Not really the appropriate forum to say who would be what in BJJ, but there are some good guys in the TJF. Certainly a few of blue belt level guys. I think Simon B is certainly (as far as I cab tell) near purple belt.

I think its highly likely that Jsho may have actually fought Simon ly (big chinese guy)at ULU at the 2005 semis finals winning via decision.

No, i had gone by early 2004, i lost to him by decision in 2003 tho, Saeed said my doing BJJ was an unfair advantage and since i didnt sub him, didnt deserve to win by points, lol, my winning streak was at an end.

Now i think of the dates, i was a TJF purple when i left, got to bjj blue in nov 03, won the brown belt division at the march '04 randori nationals (subbing a number of guys including your club instructor Will iirc). Then beat Gareth Horgan in a club match, then drew with Nigel at the league finals.

Was fun but since i didn't enjoy the tma bits of tjf any more, i left to focus on BJJ.

from what i saw of the newaza comps the tjf held, if anyone was near purple level it's because they train in bjj lol

LittleDan

Quote Originally Posted by J-Sho View Post
    No, i had gone by early 2004, i lost to him by decision in 2003 tho, Saeed said my doing BJJ was an unfair advantage and since i didnt sub him, didnt deserve to win by points, lol, my winning streak was at an end.

Now i think of the dates, i was a TJF purple when i left, got to bjj blue in nov 03, won the brown belt division at the march '04 randori nationals (subbing a number of guys including your club instructor Will iirc). Then beat Gareth Horgan in a club match, then drew with Nigel at the league finals.

Was fun but since i didn't enjoy the tma bits of tjf any more, i left to focus on BJJ.
    Which won is Simon B is that the long haired karate guy?

Jsho, sure i must have seen you somewhere, i think i might have fought one of the ucl guys oin that day.