Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Urban Gorillaz Southern Open BJJ Tournament - 30th Sept

For SENI, a good price... for the other shows I dunno, does seem like a lot, seen as I paid 20 for a local show and the medals were REALLY nice, not cheap placka ones.. not that I got one like.. (it was the negc grappling comp).. with a decent venue too.

I'll probably still enter anyway, but it does seem like a lot
    The Dungeon Sunderland / Checkmatt BJJ team

this has been on my mind for a lil while so shoot me down....
    no ass kissing intended here to either party but here goes (excuse my tone a lil emotional due to dropping gf at airport)
    do people really expect promoters of a sport to give up there
    a)time (months)
    b)money (lost if the event isn't sucessful) for the venue/medical/phone calls/lose of work time/family pressures.

just to break even?

C'mon lads we live in a world were eveything has a price, so if you fight in a Safe venue,under medical supervision.
    what is 40, do people who fight around the world give to fecks if the price is a lil more expensive than normal. at the mo this organisation is at the front of the uk scene,and holds most weight (once again no ass licking just fact intended) its like saying fighting at the best level in the world ie. mundials and moaning that it is a lil more than fighting in the uk. its the opportunity and experience in mixing it with the big boys. These opportunities come about through a lil more money invested (more in fee)-better venues, more publicity and bigger draw. did u notice more guys from europe at this seni, its because this org now has lure. and weight to the titles.

gotta lotta more thoughts but theres a few, last note i'm not directing this at anyone personally i just hear it all the time, people talking money- at the end of the day this no matter how serious you take it-it's a hobby, a past time. how many past times have you spent more money on in the past.
    me for one alot.

Ps. i personally would say if i put up 5000 for a tornament i would want 10,000 back for all the risk and balls ache.

Adam

On a related note: I'm flying to the US for the Mundials. There, even though there's no real additional cost per competitor, people are paying 40 - 60 each. Now, you could argue that it's a larger number of fighters, and that's true, but that in turn means a larger number of competitors so in theory they should charge the same per person as a normal tournament, no? If I go there, statistically I'm more than likely to go out in the first round. Should I pay less because it's a higher level of competition and I'm more likely to lose?

Just a thought.

Take care,

Stalks

Quote Originally Posted by adamfromessex View Post
    this has been on my mind for a lil while so shoot me down.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
    balls ache.

Adam
    sensible side of the arguement well put.

Default good luck

good luck olly and kick some ass
    betray me once your fault,betray me twice my fault

Quote Originally Posted by adamfromessex View Post
    this has been on my mind for a lil while so shoot me down....
    no ass kissing intended here to either party but here goes (excuse my tone a lil emotional due to dropping gf at airport)
    do people really expect promoters of a sport to give up there
    a)time (months)
    b)money (lost if the event isn't sucessful) for the venue/medical/phone calls/lose of work time/family pressures.

just to break even?

C'mon lads we live in a world were eveything has a price, so if you fight in a Safe venue,under medical supervision.
    what is 40, do people who fight around the world give to fecks if the price is a lil more expensive than normal. at the mo this organisation is at the front of the uk scene,and holds most weight (once again no ass licking just fact intended) its like saying fighting at the best level in the world ie. mundials and moaning that it is a lil more than fighting in the uk. its the opportunity and experience in mixing it with the big boys. These opportunities come about through a lil more money invested (more in fee)-better venues, more publicity and bigger draw. did u notice more guys from europe at this seni, its because this org now has lure. and weight to the titles.

gotta lotta more thoughts but theres a few, last note i'm not directing this at anyone personally i just hear it all the time, people talking money- at the end of the day this no matter how serious you take it-it's a hobby, a past time. how many past times have you spent more money on in the past.
    me for one alot.

Ps. i personally would say if i put up 5000 for a tornament i would want 10,000 back for all the risk and balls ache.

Adam

good post mate. lol at peoples idea of something for nothing.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

Quote Originally Posted by marc goddard View Post
    good post mate.
    ur right there

Quote Originally Posted by marc goddard View Post
    lol at peoples idea of something for nothing.
    Thats a bit steep - Im pretty sure that no-one on this particular thread has asked to compete in a competition without actually having to pay?

That all being said is there any chance that this competition is going to feature that fantastic idea of the Team Event?

does junoir meen nyone under 18 or under 16

Quote Originally Posted by FlameBoy View Post
    Thats a bit steep - Im pretty sure that no-one on this particular thread has asked to compete in a competition without actually having to pay?
    i did not mean it literally, i was talking figuratively.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

Jude Samuel
    BJJ BlackBelt

Junior (16 and 17 year-olds)

Men and Women
    16 and 17 year-olds will compete in the same division
    Athletes born on 1990 and 1991 are eligible to compete
    Fight time: 5 minutes

Junior (Under 16year-olds)
    Should send a written application via their instructor as soon as possible, so that we can get match ups before the tournament.

There will be NO entries of any kind on the day.

PS: The 40 is to stop people registering and paying at the last minute. Get you entries in early.