Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any MMA Training Places In Blackpool? What's MMA Like?

Vanchatron

Default Any MMA Training Places In Blackpool? What's MMA Like?

I'm 19 years old & have been bodybuilding consistently since I was 15. I got chatting to an old school friend earlier tonight in a pub & after saying he was impressed with my size etc I gained since school he said "But can you fight?". I didn't really know what to say to him & I realised yeah I might be quite big but I'm probably not the best at defending myself if I got into a fight or something like that. I wanna be able to walk away from the fight in one piece & since MMA is the closest thing (as far as I know) to what you'd experience in a street fight I feel like learning it. Also, I DO NOT go around starting fights, if anything I'd rather stay out of a fight, but something's bound to happen some day if you're in a club/pub and some drunk guy wants to start sh*t with you and as I said, I don't want to end up in hospital if I can help it.

So now I'm thinking of getting into MMA as I've always been impressed with people that do it & I feel it could be a decent hobby for me to take up. I don't want to try & go professional or do MMA for a living/compete etc, I just want to basically learn to fight properly instead of just stupid drunken scuffles.

So I was wondering if anybody had any idea if there were any MMA training places in Blackpool?

Also, I have big confidence issues & I get really nervous/shy when starting something new like this & walking into the place. Does anybody have any idea what I'm likely to experience if I was to join an MMA training place? I don't want to join & then see a load of nobheads that just want to kick the sh*t out of me because they know MMA & I'm the new guy. For example, the trainer won't just put me in the ring with somebody a couple days after training just to "see how I do" lol will they? I really want to join an MMA training place but my confidence is basically the only thing that's holding me back. I even bought a home gym because I lacked the confidence to train at a commercial gym but hopefully I can get over it.

Also, what are the general costs if anybody knows, I'd appreciate it.

Here are my body stats anyway. I'm not sure if this is relevant to MMA but am I in decent shape for it?

Age - 19
    Height - 5,10"
    Weight - 235lbs
    Bodyfat - 15%

I'm insulin dependent diabetic also.

As I said, I'd really appreciate any help as I know nothing about MMA really, thanks a lot.

best thing to do is just go down and try it, no decent club would try and hut a new student.

Not sure of where in blackpool does it, but try MMAUNIVERSE.com and they have a club listing

Vanchatron

Cheers for the link pal, I couldn't find anything there though unfortunately

Vanchatron

OK, pm'd somebody from that thread, just gotta hope he still visits the forum.

If anybody else has any info, I'd appreciate it.

Vanchatron

Quote Originally Posted by DetoxGuru.com View Post
    if you walk in to a club mate in a friendly genuine manner there aint a club in the land that will turn you down.

Go for it man there has gotta be somewhere fairly near you , you will be shocked at the level of cardio required, whats your cardio like????
    It's actually not very good to be honest, but I can definitely work on it.

Well looks like I'm out of luck anyway. According to http://www.martialartsclubs.co.uk there's no MMA clubs in Blackpool or anywhere near. The closest place is in Preston but I'm not travelling to Preston every time. What a load of bollocks, excuse the language, I'm just pissed off that I finally find something I may be interested in & now I can't do it.
    Last edited by Vanchatron; 19-08-2007 at 05:50 PM.

Try Muay Thai and/or Boxing to start with if you can't find any specific MMA clubs, most 'self defense' stuff is stand-up anyway and it'll give a skillset you can also use for MMA.

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Vanchatron View Post
    It's actually not very good to be honest, but I can definitely work on it.

Well looks like I'm out of luck anyway. According to http://www.martialartsclubs.co.uk there's no MMA clubs in Blackpool or anywhere near. The closest place is in Preston but I'm not travelling to Preston every time. What a load of bollocks, excuse the language, I'm just pissed off that I finally find something I may be interested in & now I can't do it.
    How far is it to Preston? Quite a number of us travel to get to the club to train, it takes me 45-1 hour to get to training

Default Mma

Gary Savage is your best bet, as he now has Mario Sukata (Wolfslair head coach) teaching once a week at his club (Weds I think) but I ain't got a contact for him, so best make an appeal on here!

Regards travelling mate, everyone who trains on here will tell ya you gotta be prepared to travel to train in MMA and BJJ and Preston to Blackpool aint that far in this day and age unless you dont drive! I got a student that travels from Kirkham three times a week to train with me in Bolton

Good luck with it, Gary's club has a very good reputation

F