Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any MMA Training Places In Blackpool? What's MMA Like?

Vanchatron

I've actually found a place (I think it's the ONLY mma training place here) that provides training from 7pm - 9pm every Tuesday.

I'm sitting here trying to convince myself to go but I really can't seem to do it. I want to go but I'm feeling really nervous. I keep telling myself "just go, it can't be that bad" but I know by tomorrow (Tuesday) I just wont go.

I have no idea what it's gonna be like there, how many students/people are gonna be there & how experienced the rest of the students are compared to me. I have basically nil fighting experience (boxing, mma etc) apart from occasional fighting in the street with people that started sh*t with me.

I've just gotta see how I feel tomorrow I guess. I'm also worried that I'm gonna lose a lot of the size I've put on during bodybuilding if I was to start MMA.

Vanchatron

Thumbs up

Oh & it's Gary Savage's club, I managed to find a contact.
    Last edited by Vanchatron; 20-08-2007 at 07:32 PM.

Get yourself down there mate!

Gary is a great bloke and a great teacher and he's got Mario Sukata doing sessions at his club which will be great for you. Learning from two great guys.

I never got the chance to get down to Gary's club in Blackpool and train there so can't tell you what its like, but Gary used to come up to Lancaster and I have nothing but good things to say about him.

Get yourself down once and you will be hooked and if you don't like it what have you lost. I know it can be quite hard going down for the first time but just think everyone in the gym has felt that feeling at least once.

let us know how you get on and I might see you down there sometime when I am back at Uni.

Vanchatron

Cheers, I'm feeling more & more tempted to go now!

Any idea on the prices though? I don't wanna get down there & realise I haven't brought enough cash, ta.

Gary knows his shit.

He's the first guy I started training proper MMA with, and that was 6 years ago so he's not someone who has just jumped on the bandwagon.

Plus, he understands the difference between the cage and teh street very well. If you just want to learn effective fighting he's your man, but if you decide to take it further he trains guys up for competition too.

Afriad I have'nt spoken to Gary in over a year, so no idea on prices, bu whatever he charges, he's well worth it. (Hear Sukata is awesome as well).

PS, depending on what side of Blackpool you are on you could make a trip up here to Lancaster, good training is just off junction 33 of the M6.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Yeah man, don't worry about anything. Get down there and try your best, no-one - I'm sure - will take the piss and give you a really hard time.

I'm sure the cardio will be hard, but don't be put off, you'll make a lot of progress if you stick to it and try hard!

Good luck!
    'maybe on reflection that was a genuine grievance and not a gimmick. '

Vanchatron

Right just went down & it actually looked pretty shady & it was down a back alley, not what I was expecting. I don't know if that's good or bad thing really. I saw Mario Sukata there for a second but he went into a changing room I think. I spoke to a british guy (I assume it was Gary Savage) & he said there are mma classes every Tuesday from 7 til 9pm with Mario Sukata & they're 15. I only went down today to find out about the price etc so I didn't actually train today.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid or not but I got the impression Mario Sukata was a bit moody as I said "hi mate" to him and he just looked & me and ignored me, then went into a changing room. Gary was alright & he explained the sessions to me etc.

One thing that put me off though is that when I got down there I saw a load of people on the big mat just wrestling each other & wearing those stupid karate outfits. I want to start training obviously but I don't wanna have to shell out for karate outfits etc. I assumed that you just got down there & trained in tracksuit bottoms & a t shirt or something like that.

Anyway, I'm gonna go down next week with my brother I see what it's like properly. If I don't like it I don't have to go again I guess.

Also, he asked me if I wanted to stay & watch a session but I told him I had to be somewhere which was a complete lie, I wish I'd stayed now, I'm an idiot.

If you saw a bunch of lads in pyjama things its probably because they were doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ). Its not the same thing as MMA, but a big part of it, since most of our submissions come from that style. Gaz is big into BJJ, and so is Sukata, obviously. Like I said though, you tell Gaz what you want to do and he'll sort you out right.

PS - not been to his current club but Gaz does have a thing with finding the absolutely dodgiest places on earth, but don't be put off by the way it looks.
    LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE MMA - Home to Shay Walsh, Matty Steele and Alex 'The Marksman' Makhonin

I'd reckon its cheaper when Sukata is'nt there.