Thread: Testing your internet speed.

Default Testing your internet speed.

Whats a good site to test what your broadband is running at ?

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

you could open a command line and ping an internet facing IP. With Broadband it can be difficult as it depends how many users are contending for the shared bandwidth and also if it is upstream or downstream as often you have different badnwidth for each

Just google speed test dsl that will come up with some free stuff, not sure how good accurate they are though !!

The one I went on said 4meg but I am on 20meg broadband so thats a bit out. I'll keep trying. Cheers

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Taylor View Post
    The one I went on said 4meg but I am on 20meg broadband so thats a bit out. I'll keep trying. Cheers
    Why is that odd?

Broadband is contenscious (sp), which means that you share the overall connection to the internet (not in you house, obviously) with other users... i.e. people in you street, town, etc. The more people on, the less available to each user. Plus the upstream and downstream rates on broadband are different... broadband tends to download faster than it uploads, so users get a better 'web experieince'.

Worth noting that browsers can only make two actual connections at once, i.e. download two objects at once... so if a page is jam packed with items, even a fast conenction can struggle.

Please try and keep up

My cat's name is Mittens ralphylad's Avatar

Its those fuckers at Virgin Media Jam, they always take the piss get on the blower and complain they will give you free stuff, accept no less than Red Hot Euro package!
    "I honestly can't even remember my old signature, so I'll have this one"