Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fight day preparation

Default fight day preparation

Hi fellas a friend of mine is fighting in a few weeks so I was wondering what is the best for food and rest etc. on the day of the fight to ensure he is full of energy when its time to go. He doesn't have a problem regarding diet as it is open weight, thanks in advance

If he normally eats pretty healthily then shouldnt change anything really.

Plenty of water to ensure hes adequately hydrated, Plenty of complex carbs the day before and earlier in the day, moderate gi carbs few hours before and maybe some fruit just before the fight. I always have 2-3 days rest before a fight and just do technique, light padwork, stretching etc..

I'm sure every fighter has a different approach but thats just what works for me.

When I fought last time I didn't eat or drink anything until about 2pm because I had to weigh in at 66KG and walking around at 71/72 about a week before that was pretty hard (first time I had ever cut!), so the first question is does he need to make weight?

If so and it's going to be close then I would recommend not drinking too much water and too much food until the afternoon weigh in. Have something like eggs and apples in the morning, to keep you light.

Then after the weigh ins eat some pasta / rice / oats and chicken. Basically a decent amount of both carbs and proteins and start drinking water whenever you feel like it. The important thing is to feel full of energy from the carbs you eat but not bloated, where as with water feel hydrated and fresh but don't drink so much you hear it sloshing around in your gut.

As for preperation, don't tire yourself out or risk stubbing a thumb or toe before the fight. Last time I thought I was warming up on the matts and grazed my shin on the carpet which hurt like a bitch when I kicked. Just do some pad work (Jab, Cross, Hook) and some basic sprawling / light rolling. Just basically get warm, you want to do this no more than 30 minutes before you fight really or you will begin using up the energy you gathered from your food and may end up getting tired.

Hope that helps (a non experts point of view).
    "When you're not training; somebody else is training to kick your ass."
    Part of Team Savage. Trained by Alex 'The Boy' Owen:
    http://www.teamsavage.co.uk/

Default thnx

thanks fellas for the information so far;
    Alpin, he doesent have to make the weight so no probs on that front
    any other experiences would be great, also what about energy drinks? are they any use?

"The UK's Lyoto Machida - Hit and Run, Baby" widge milward's Avatar

each fighter is different, i know fighters who warm up for around 60 minutes in stages, some fighters who sleep before hand then just loosen off before they fight. its trial and error each person is different.
    You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get

Team Colosseum

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Cutting weight for an on the day weigh in.... say from 71 down to 66 is life threatening and you simply should not do it. The lack of water reduces the cushioning in your skull and the 5-6 hours you have to rehydrate you system isn't enough time.

If it is open weight, then lots of water, complex carbs in the morning, switch to simple carbs 4 hours or so before the fight and don't eat anything 2 houors or so before getting in the ring.

If you haven't had to lose any weight, energy shouldn't be an issue and it is probably wise not to change any of your diet as you could risk upsetting your stomach and/or other adverse effects from a change of what you are used to

"The UK's Lyoto Machida - Hit and Run, Baby" widge milward's Avatar

it is probably wise not to change any of your diet
    ....so stick to kebabs and candy floss...
    You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get

Team Colosseum

Quote Originally Posted by ReD_mIst View Post
    Cutting weight for an on the day weigh in.... say from 71 down to 66 is life threatening and you simply should not do it. The lack of water reduces the cushioning in your skull and the 5-6 hours you have to rehydrate you system isn't enough time.

If it is open weight, then lots of water, complex carbs in the morning, switch to simple carbs 4 hours or so before the fight and don't eat anything 2 houors or so before getting in the ring.

If you haven't had to lose any weight, energy shouldn't be an issue and it is probably wise not to change any of your diet as you could risk upsetting your stomach and/or other adverse effects from a change of what you are used to
    good advice, same day cutting is not good. also agree about the stomach being as empty a spossible when you fight.

dont agree with the simple carbs 4 hours before though, with that you are going to be sending energy levels crashing up and down. you want to maintain a steady balance in energy release and insulin levels.

everyone is different however, what works for some does not work for others, and vice versa.

just my opinion.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

Yeah same day cutting sucks

Ive done it a few times and always felt weaker. Ill rather walk in full of energy and heavier fighting stronger bigger guys then lighter and alot weaker

Plus it mentally effects you. You start thinking you are weaker then you really are IMO
    Team Rough House - UKs no1 fight team

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Yeah same day cutting sucks

Ive done it a few times and always felt weaker. Ill rather walk in full of energy and heavier fighting stronger bigger guys then lighter and alot weaker

Plus it mentally effects you. You start thinking you are weaker then you really are IMO
    It's not even about that, its that actual danger of not being hydrated when you fight, which increases the chance of brain damage.

Mark, I think I like simple carbs as it gives you a good energy boost for the warm up, so that you don't feel tired warming up. If you feel tired warming up, it can really hit your confidence and doubt can start to set in.. "I'm knacked, I'm not fit enough, why am I so sluggish... etc"

However, as you say, each to their own.... just don't experiment to much on the day of your big fight