Thread: Gracie Barra Birmingham ????

Hybrid View

wolfpack_mma

Default Gracie Barra Birmingham ????

Could anyone give me some feedback on Braulio's place , Im looking to start training GI soon and would like to train here.

Quality?
    Cost?
    Location?

All appreciated

Steve

quality: awesome
    cost: dunno
    location: acocks green last time i checked. i'll see if i can find website...

http://www.stevie-bs-gym.co.uk/jiujitsu.html
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Rhondda!!!

Stevie B's Gym

Address: Stevie B's Gym, Station Road, Acocks Green, Birmingham

Training Times

Monday 1 00pm to 2 30pm ,6.00 to 7.45pm 7 45pm to 9 30 pm GI classes

Tuesday 6pm to 6 45pm kids class,7 to 9pm no gi class

Wednesday 12 00pm to 1 30pm ,6.00 to 7.45pm GI classes ,7 45pm to 9 30pm(beginners class)

Thursday 5pm to 5 45 kids class , 12 00pm to 1 30pm ,6.00 to 7.45pm NO gi class 7 45pm to 9 30 pm GI classe

Saturday 11.00 to 12 45pm No gi class 12 45pm to 2 30 gi class

Prices

Individual classes are 8 per person or 12 per evening if you want to train both classes( on the evenings that 2 classes are on.

Stevie B's Gym is a fully equipt gym for fitness, body building, boxing and martial arts at very competitive prices.

Braulio is an awesome teacher, so is his brother. Last time I went there it was of a very high standard!!!

Quality is ace and they are a really nice bunch of folks to train with.

I had to stay for a week in Birmingham for a course a while back and trained with them in the evenings. Everyone was really friendly, the gym is great and the teaching is brill.

Default re

For BJJ Braulio is the genuine article for sure. Victor is shit hot too.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

wolfpack_mma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quality is ace and they are a really nice bunch of folks to train with.

I had to stay for a week in Birmingham for a course a while back and trained with them in the evenings. Everyone was really friendly, the gym is great and the teaching is brill.

For BJJ Braulio is the genuine article for sure. Victor is shit hot too.
    Cheers guys, going there this afternoon.
    by the way Marc, what is you BJJ grade??

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack_mma View Post
    Cheers guys, going there this afternoon.
    by the way Marc, what is you BJJ grade??

hi mate, i never trained in the gi long enough to get "graded" i was always no gi, braulio gave me a blue years ago but that was about it. i used to wear it now and again but it done my head in !!! that and the poncy types involved and bullshit politics that surrounded bjj also, couldnt bear that !

i have always competed no gi [ and even then it was with one eye always on the wrestling element, ie top position ] and obviously mma so not sure what "grade" i would be if relevant at all, i am sure that if i had chose to stick with it i may have a stripe ot two on my blue belt , lol. i have been very successful in the UK no gi come to think of it when i list what i have done / won.

i remember a few years ago i done a gi comp, my first bjj tourny, i thought fuck it, i was in opponents guard and stood up to pass, he pulled me straight back down by the sleeve and collar and got the armbar on me

i very much understand and appreciate the complexities and differences of the gi but as far as mma goes it has little significance imho and i have been on both sides of the fence, but each to there own. look at todays mma, how many of the top guys are pure bjj or at the least its there base art ? it makes me laugh actually, so many people go "right i am gonna start mma", and they head for the nearest bjj class. to me its 3rd on the list behind wrestling and boxing, of course understanding the submission game is a very important part of mma, i am still very much known for a submission / wrestling game as opposed to standing...[ except for my last fight, lol ] i may go back to training in it one day when i am old and decrepid, for now its submission wrestling, [ with the emphasis on wrestling ! ] all the way.

but its horses for courses, i will get off my soap box now . back on topic and for just pure bjj and no gi jiu jitsu [ without the wrestling ] then braulio is genuine world class, multiple times pan am and world champ, adcc runner up etc, we are very fortunate to have someone of his calibre on tap really.....[ just beware of gringo jiu jitsu ]
    Last edited by marc goddard; 01-11-2007 at 07:34 PM.
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

I go on Sherdog too, and the amount of praise they lord of his guard dvd is amazing - they love him over there too!

anyone over here got his dvd ?

wolfpack_mma

Quote Originally Posted by marc goddard View Post
    hi mate, i never trained in the gi long enough to get "graded" i was always no gi, braulio gave me a blue years ago but that was about it. i used to wear it now and again but it done my head in !!! that and the poncy types involved and bullshit politics that surrounded bjj also, couldnt bear that !

i have always competed no gi [ and even then it was with one eye always on the wrestling element, ie top position ] and obviously mma so not sure what "grade" i would be if relevant at all, i am sure that if i had chose to stick with it i may have a stripe ot two on my blue belt , lol. i have been very successful in the UK no gi come to think of it when i list what i have done / won.

i remember a few years ago i done a gi comp, my first bjj tourny, i thought fuck it, i was in opponents guard and stood up to pass, he pulled me straight back down by the sleeve and collar and got the armbar on me

i very much understand and appreciate the complexities and differences of the gi but as far as mma goes it has little significance imho and i have been on both sides of the fence, but each to there own. look at todays mma, how many of the top guys are pure bjj or at the least its there base art ? it makes me laugh actually, so many people go "right i am gonna start mma", and they head for the nearest bjj class. to me its 3rd on the list behind wrestling and boxing, of course understanding the submission game is a very important part of mma, i am still very much known for a submission / wrestling game as opposed to standing...[ except for my last fight, lol ] i may go back to training in it one day when i am old and decrepid, for now its submission wrestling, [ with the emphasis on wrestling ! ] all the way.

but its horses for courses, i will get off my soap box now . back on topic and for just pure bjj and no gi jiu jitsu [ without the wrestling ] then braulio is genuine world class, multiple times pan am and world champ, adcc runner up etc, we are very fortunate to have someone of his calibre on tap really.....[ just beware of gringo jiu jitsu ]
    Thanks Marc ,
    Trained there thursday,friday and tomorrow too , the quality there is unreal. I understand and agree with your view on BJJ for MMA and to be fair im only training BJJ because i eventualy would like to compete in the sport itself.

Kevin Webb (purple belt) tapped me about 10 times in 3mins today ..... it was awesome.

I also managed to tap a Blue Belt (cant remember his name soz) with a sweet triangle

Training at a place with that much talent lets you know how good you really are!! its quite a wake up call

steve
    Last edited by wolfpack_mma; 03-11-2007 at 11:06 AM.