Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Gracie Barra Birmingham ????

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack_mma View Post
    to be fair im only training BJJ because i eventualy would like to compete in the sport itself
    well then you are certainly at the right place. good luck mate.
    if you think its easy stop now

    no one achieved anything by doing nothing

    never argue with a fool

    if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

    http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

  2. #12

    Default

    Braulio is awesome. so is his brother.

    Marco dont you feel you use more strenght and depend more on being slippery by only ytaining nogi?

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duchman View Post
    Marco dont you feel you use more strenght and depend more on being slippery by only ytaining nogi?
    to be honest mate, and i am sure that others may vouch for me here, well those that know me anyway.

    whenever i trained and rolled then i was always all out for the technical side of grappling, especially with guys smaller than myself, that way when i had beat them they could never say oh its because youre stronger, i have always used "small man" jui jitsu and wrestling and thats what people have told me.

    because i always trained with smaller very technical guys thats exactly how i developed my game, in the same way as theres. so when i came to bigger guys i had size, strength and the technique.

    strength is a vital part, [ more importantly functional strenght ] of wreslting, no gi , mma etc but like i say i spent years refining my technical side and have surprised many people over the years with the way i move,......or at least thats what they say when i am there

    tom blackledge is the same as me, big & strong guy but very technical in his game.

    as for the argument of gi v no gi then its horses for courses, the no gi game is a lot quicker than with the gi [ therefore , for me far more entertaining ] and you dont have the control and handles to hang off, thats where the wrestling element comes in, you must learn to control guys without the use of clothing [ obviously this applies for mma too ] and it opens up a never ending world of scenario and situations. like i said horses for courses, for MMA spending time in a gi is simply not applicable in todays game, for sub grappling comps then the choice is yours
    Last edited by marc goddard; 03-11-2007 at 04:46 PM.
    if you think its easy stop now

    no one achieved anything by doing nothing

    never argue with a fool

    if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

    http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marc goddard View Post
    to be honest mate, and i am sure that others may vouch for me here, well those that know me anyway.

    whenever i trained and rolled then i was always all out for the technical side of grappling, especially with guys smaller than myself, that way when i had beat them they could never say oh its because youre stronger, i have always used "small man" jui jitsu and wrestling and thats what people have told me.

    because i always trained with smaller very technical guys thats exactly how i developed my game, in the same way as theres. so when i came to bigger guys i had size, strength and the technique.

    strength is a vital part, [ more importantly functional strenght ] of wreslting, no gi , mma etc but like i say i spent years refining my technical side and have surprised many people over the years with the way i move,......or at least thats what they say when i am there

    tom blackledge is the same as me, big & strong guy but very technical in his game.

    as for the argument of gi v no gi then its horses for courses, the no gi game is a lot quicker than with the gi [ therefore , for me far more entertaining ] and you dont have the control and handles to hang off, thats where the wrestling element comes in, you must learn to control guys without the use of clothing [ obviously this applies for mma too ] and it opens up a never ending world of scenario and situations. like i said horses for courses, for MMA spending time in a gi is simply not applicable in todays game, for sub grappling comps then the choice is yours
    Completely agree

    Coach always says "if you have techincal abilty you can always add strength, But if you rely on strength you cant suddenly add good technique"
    Team Rough House - UKs no1 fight team

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marc goddard View Post
    to be honest mate, and i am sure that others may vouch for me here, well those that know me anyway.

    whenever i trained and rolled then i was always all out for the technical side of grappling, especially with guys smaller than myself, that way when i had beat them they could never say oh its because youre stronger, i have always used "small man" jui jitsu and wrestling and thats what people have told me.

    because i always trained with smaller very technical guys thats exactly how i developed my game, in the same way as theres. so when i came to bigger guys i had size, strength and the technique.

    strength is a vital part, [ more importantly functional strenght ] of wreslting, no gi , mma etc but like i say i spent years refining my technical side and have surprised many people over the years with the way i move,......or at least thats what they say when i am there

    tom blackledge is the same as me, big & strong guy but very technical in his game.

    as for the argument of gi v no gi then its horses for courses, the no gi game is a lot quicker than with the gi [ therefore , for me far more entertaining ] and you dont have the control and handles to hang off, thats where the wrestling element comes in, you must learn to control guys without the use of clothing [ obviously this applies for mma too ] and it opens up a never ending world of scenario and situations. like i said horses for courses, for MMA spending time in a gi is simply not applicable in todays game, for sub grappling comps then the choice is yours
    Cool that means you wont use power on me when we roll Doing powerlifting at the moment to be sure

    I agree about the cloth/handles issue. When i fought mickey young for instance, i had done zero mma/no gi sparring. When i caught him in a omoplata, i was looking for his pants or belt, instead of breaking down his posture, and he escapes

    For me its very hard, i started out with out a gi, but i started to love gi training so much. I realy hate when i have to lay off the gi game.

  6. #16
    wolfpack_mma
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marc goddard View Post
    well then you are certainly at the right place. good luck mate.
    Thanks Marc,
    I love the way that with a GI youve got extra limbs so to speak (4arms and legs) , I also reckon it teaches you to keep your game tight, and learn to limit the gaps.

    I had surgery a month ago (to repair a perferated ear-drum) , the doctor told me yesterday i cant box for atleast 3/4months ............looks like i might be saying goodbye to competing in MMA for a while

    Steve

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.