Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: the kneebar

Quote Originally Posted by Aplin View Post
    My trainer (purple BJJ) said that you don't tap from a knee bar because of pain but because of fear.

It would be very, very hard to break someones knee / mess up their joint with a kneebar, but people tap because they know of the long term damage it could do. Obviously I am talking about a straight knee bar.
    lol

obviously you are talking twaddle

the leg is very strong but once it is extended and a kneebar with proper position/technique then its very easy to bust someone's knee. Even with putting them on carefully with relatively little force I have managed to injure someone's knee before - like with an armbar, if you have it in properly then you only need a little amount of pressure and movement to hurt your opponent

why do some bjj guys know so little about leg locks?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Because they aren't allowed at junior levels in BJJ comps I guess.
    Gods of War token Irishman.

Gods of War MMA Reading Berkshire

Reading Berkshire Mixed Martial Arts

Always remember: The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data.'

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    more importantly why do some bjj guys know so little about leg locks but pretend they do?

aplin - who is your instructor? i might start looking for a new one before someone in your class gets hurt.
    Augustus Gloop, Augustus Gloop, a great big greedy nincompoop!!

Tomatohead

knee bars are ace but if you go 2 far with them your gonna bust some ligaments. calf crushes are also good fun!!

Train some sambo fucking millions of leg locks
    Last edited by Tomatohead; 02-11-2007 at 10:10 AM.

"My trainer (purple BJJ) said that you don't tap from a knee bar because of pain but because of fear.

It would be very, very hard to break someones knee / mess up their joint with a kneebar, but people tap because they know of the long term damage it could do. Obviously I am talking about a straight knee bar."

What a load of complete bollocks

In my amateur fight I got caught in a kneebar / toe hold combination and had grade 2 ligament tears in my knee and ankle

Aplin your instructor is gonna kick your arse when he sees this thread

In my amateur fight I got caught in a kneebar / toe hold combination and had grade 2 ligament tears in my knee and ankle

Aplin your instructor is gonna kick your arse when he sees this thread
    Was it a twisting one though? I did say I meant straight knee bars. Fair enough though, I am just drawing upon my experiences and what I have been told.

I agree that people tap from the fear of consiquences rather than the pain in knee bars though... because you rarely feel pain during knee bars and I am sure when the crack happens it is too late and seeing as I've not seen anyone hurt by a knee bar I'd still presume it is very hard to break someones knee!?

I am sure he didn't mean 'no one has ever been hurt from a kneebar' as that is obviously untrue. Rather a straight knee bar rarely results in injury because people tap before it gets to the point of injury due to the fear of consequences when it breaks.
    Last edited by Nak-Muay; 02-11-2007 at 02:25 PM.
    "When you're not training; somebody else is training to kick your ass."
    Part of Team Savage. Trained by Alex 'The Boy' Owen:
    http://www.teamsavage.co.uk/

"The UK's Lyoto Machida - Hit and Run, Baby" widge milward's Avatar

feel free to go to the colosseum and let either Danny Rushton or Matt Thorpe knee bar you, then tell me they dont hurt.

ask J-Sho he got kneebarred from 12 Gauge at a subleague once, whats was it john, "i let him attempt it as he span that fast i assumed he would slip off£
    You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get

Team Colosseum

Quote Originally Posted by Aplin View Post
    I agree that people tap from the fear of consiquences rather than the pain in knee bars though... because you rarely feel pain during knee bars and I am sure when the crack happens it is too late and seeing as I've not seen anyone hurt by a knee bar I'd still presume it is very hard to break someones knee!?
    no no no no & no. you have no idea what you are talking about so its probably time to admit it and stop trying to put your completely incorrect and misinformed view point across on a thread where everyone else has told you that you are wrong

kneebars hurt - even straight ones. if you have never felt pain from one or seen anyone hurt by one the people in your club obviously cant do them properly. which is hardly surprising given the stupid comments your instructor seems to be making

who is he? where do you train?
    Augustus Gloop, Augustus Gloop, a great big greedy nincompoop!!

kneebars hurt - even straight ones. if you have never felt pain from one or seen anyone hurt by one the people in your club obviously cant do them properly. which is hardly surprising given the stupid comments your instructor seems to be making
    Last I heard you don't even train so how would you know?
    "When you're not training; somebody else is training to kick your ass."
    Part of Team Savage. Trained by Alex 'The Boy' Owen:
    http://www.teamsavage.co.uk/