Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Judo question

Yes bridge on your head.

The 80s were a completely different era for judokas, The kits were virtually sprayed on and GB had strength in depth
    (btw sorry smiler i realise that was meant for you)

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

No sweat!

Yeah, I mean to use the head as a post, the same you would a hand, foot, knee or elbow. Helps to create space below you, into which you can take advantage and move into.

My rules memory is never good at the best of times, I remember when scissors was legal! I just found out last night that under 12s can't do full makikomi any more, they have to keep the hand going round the head on opposite sides...

But I don't remember ever being a time when newaza continued with one person standing...but then I may be wrong! I remember from 1986-1991, when I was fighting in the seniors, that many times I saved myself from a submission by getting to the feet and lifting my opponent off the ground...so maybe we could stand?!?!

Actually, thats the reason I can't straighten my arms any more, joint damage from walking to the side of the mat and putting my opponent outside of it to effect matte...while he had a full juji on...ouch!

Back in the day the suits were well tailored, everyone had them exactly halfway up the lower legs and forearms, tapered in too...mind you I hear that the suits are still pretty tight for the competitors now too...

Back in the 80's we had a wealth of skill...the latter years of Neil Adams, the time when the Wolverhampton massive ruled, Elvis Gordon and Errol Carnegie battling away, Densign White and co...and down South we had people like Ray Stevens, Ian Freeman (Olympic Bronze Medalist), all congregating each Wednesday night in High Wycombe...they were fun sessions!!!

Mind you, I'm showing my age...I was competing in some of the proper tournaments when skinny kid Winston Gordon was tearing up the mini-mons...lol...

Smiler

Smiler

Last edited by DDC; 05-01-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Last edited by DDC; 05-01-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Very very basic grip fighting

If you are the same handed(eg right V right), keep his power hand off your gi. That should be your priority in this situation. Your instructors will be able to teach grip breaking techniques better than anyone on the interweb. If he gets his right hand on you, get it off, then control it with your sleeve grip. Imagine your right hand is on his lapel. Your left arm is gripping his right sleeve, and extended down at 45 degrees. In that situation, he wont be able to grab your lapel(or over the shoulder) with his dominant right hand. This gives you the control you need to attempt your favourite throws.

If you are opposite handed then you want your power hand(right if you are right handed) to be on the inside of his power hand.

Yes. For left(you) V right with standard grip, your left hand is on his right lapel on the inside of his right arm. Just grip his left sleeve with your right hand, preferably on the outside, and slightly underneath(is easier to push his arm than lift it). Different people have different preferences here, end of sleeve, elbow or tricep. Up to you.
    Imagine someone standing behind you with X-Ray vision. They would see from left to right... his right hand on your left lapel. Your left hand on his right lapel. Nipple, belly button, nipple. His left hand gripping your sleeve. You right hand gripping his sleeve.

Hope that makes even a tiny bit of sense

Just a small point - if against a lefty circle to your left. He will want you to circle to your right and make it easier to throw you.

Last edited by DDC; 05-01-2008 at 06:25 PM.