Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MMA Scoring Alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by Aplin View Post
    Or negative, a fighter may think 'first round was a draw', 'second round he won' and therefore the best I can work for is a draw. Where as right now he could think 'first round was close, I may have edged it' and 'second round he won' leading to him fighting to win the fight not just for a draw (whether he won the first round or not).
    That would be a very sloppy and negative way of thinking.

That would be a very sloppy and negative way of thinking.
    Indeed, it would happen though, or the other way round. Someone wins one round, draws the next round and when mounted thinks at worst they have gained a draw. Obviously I know not many people would think that way

I think sometimes it just takes experienced judges, not the scoring of it.
    The Machine

I think sometimes it just takes experienced judges, not the scoring of it.
    Did you see TUF the other week? Not sure what went on there, but apparently one judge ruled the contest 10-8, when the guy who scored 8 dropped the guy onto his back in that same round!!!

I think the TUF judges are pretty experienced ones too (I would guess by the way Matt spoke to them), Matt Hughes went ape shit.

when home shows get judge, mostly home fighters get favouritized by the decisions, because sometimes the home crowd can influence the judging

Quote Originally Posted by Aplin View Post
    but apparently one judge ruled the contest 10-8, when the guy who scored 8 dropped the guy onto his back in that same round!!!

I think the TUF judges are pretty experienced ones too (I would guess by the way Matt spoke to them), Matt Hughes went ape shit.
    Obviously not that experienced then eh!
    The Machine

Obviously not that experienced then eh!
    You'd think not. I would have thought if you get dropped you automatically score a 9 that round, whether the other person scores a 9 or 10 depends on the rest of the round, but how on earth they scored it 10-8!? Crazy.

It happens though I guess... I am sure something will be changed over the up-coming years. The thing is I guess you don't want to make it like points jujitsu or something or it gets 'too' technical and overly complcated. MMA right now is simple, fans can follow it easily (new fans included) if the scoring gets to a point where every little detail is analysed it takes away the fans ability to judge a contest and will probably be counter-productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Budgemyster View Post
    when home shows get judge, mostly home fighters get favouritized by the decisions, because sometimes the home crowd can influence the judging
    agreed

Although the Cage Warriors, Quannum and Cage Rage judges are some of the best in the UK.
    The Machine

Quote Originally Posted by THE MACHINE View Post
    agreed

Although the Cage Warriors, Quannum and Cage Rage judges are some of the best in the UK.
    but do you still think it has happened in these shows , and many more around the country , and it should be stamped out and how honest opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Budgemyster View Post
    but do you still think it has happened in these shows , and many more around the country , and it should be stamped out and how honest opinion
    to be honest, because I do so many shows now, I try not look at the fights as a judge but as a fan.

I have so many other things to think about, I never see a fight in full without being distracted.

so, my answer to your question is, I cannot comment on the judges 100% due to not watching the fights 100%.
    The Machine